Athletic director Dickson talks empty Superdome

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

The Tulane Hullabaloo
http://thehullabaloo.com/2011/01/28/ath ... superdome/
By the same token, I know partially because of being recruited by TCU prior to coming to Tulane exactly what [TCU has] done. They’ve invested literally hundreds of millions of dollars to do that, and I don’t see that as the right formula or plan for us. Maybe there are those out there who would like it to be, but that would be at the expense of Tulane being Tulane. We’re a much better university, and you’d sacrifice a lot of that to invest in one aspect of the school like others have.
Again with that damn arrogant attitude that we are better than everyone else.
Do you try to hide the empty Superdome from recruits?

RD: Yeah, we bring them in on Sundays.
I understand why, but still pathetic.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
sader24
Tsunami

I have a hard time coming up with any sort of logical reasoning for renewing my season tickets after that interview. Talk about complete surrender. Does anyone else think his 65 scholarship comment sounds like de-emphasis on the horizon if the NCAA doesn't mandate it? We play in one of the greatest facilities in the country and we're afraid of it. He obviously believes being a top notch university and having a top notch football program are mutually exclusive which is insanity at it's finest. He flat out states that we cannot compete in today's football landscape even though both SMU and Tcu have actually gotten better in that time. As has been stated on here many times, both the university and the athletic department need new energetic and motivated leadership. Either the university is about to crumble financially or Cowen and Dickson are horrendous. It's probably both.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Everything he should not have said publically (even if he thought it) was said in that article. I'm speechless.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:I have a hard time coming up with any sort of logical reasoning for renewing my season tickets after that interview. Talk about complete surrender. Does anyone else think his 65 scholarship comment sounds like de-emphasis on the horizon if the NCAA doesn't mandate it? We play in one of the greatest facilities in the country and we're afraid of it. He obviously believes being a top notch university and having a top notch football program are mutually exclusive which is insanity at it's finest. He flat out states that we cannot compete in today's football landscape even though both SMU and Tcu have actually gotten better in that time. As has been stated on here many times, both the university and the athletic department need new energetic and motivated leadership. Either the university is about to crumble financially or Cowen and Dickson are horrendous. It's probably both.
Yes. It's time for new leadership and they don't sound like they plan on quitting.

That's why it's time for New Wave. Make your voice heard.
TURVS71
Swell

"Tulane being Tulane. We’re a much better university, and you’d sacrifice a lot of that to invest in one aspect of the school like others have."

So, WE are the better school because we do not invest in athletics!. Am I interpreting this correctly? The "other" schools have sacrificed alot by doing that.

Well, I used to be a big Rick Dickson fan. I admired the way he fought for athletics. Now, some of his statements trouble me. How can we TULANE, be so snobby and believe that we are better off than successful athletic schools. That is just a plain, stupid and ignorant statement. Dickson now appears to be towing the company line and telling us that, "look, this is it, this is what you are going to get in the way of athletics." He has to have the backing of many influential individuals to be saying that.

This is a very troubling interview....
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TURVS71 wrote:"Tulane being Tulane. We’re a much better university, and you’d sacrifice a lot of that to invest in one aspect of the school like others have."

So, WE are the better school because we do not invest in athletics!. Am I interpreting this correctly? The "other" schools have sacrificed alot by doing that.

Well, I used to be a big Rick Dickson fan. I admired the way he fought for athletics. Now, some of his statements trouble me. How can we TULANE, be so snobby and believe that we are better off than successful athletic schools. That is just a plain, stupid and ignorant statement. Dickson now appears to be towing the company line and telling us that, "look, this is it, this is what you are going to get in the way of athletics." He has to have the backing of many influential individuals to be saying that.

This is a very troubling interview....
He and Cowen have been saying this stuff for years.

"We don't judge by wins and losses" or "That's not our model"

It's time to do something about it.
gbgreenie
Surge

This explains how they kept Toledo.