10 point loss to Rice

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tnelly15
Riptide

Tulane losses its 6th in a row. 71-61 to Rice. 21 points from Timmons, but he didnt play his best game. Looks like the team has really packed it in. I dont even think Dickerson ever lost to these guys.

NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Couldn't make it to the game tonight, but disappointed we lost. I do hope we can rack up at least a couple more wins. We really need to learn how to finish a game. Sound familiar?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
JTLiuzza
Swell

I hope we get out of the funk as well. It would be nice to take a little momentum and optimism into the off season to help Conroy out with recruiting.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RWR
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:Tulane losses its 6th in a row. 71-61 to Rice. 21 points from Timmons, but he didnt play his best game. Looks like the team has really packed it in. I dont even think Dickerson ever lost to these guys.
You obviously didn't go to the game. The team played hard for 40 minutes. They were flying around the court like crazy trying to rebound and defend. We don't have any consistent 3 point shooter in the fold. We also have gotten back to not making free throws which was a killer last night.
tnelly15
Riptide

I wasnt at the game, but I watched it. Also I'd call Johnny Mayhane a pretty consistent 3 point shooter and he hit 4 of 8 last night. Frizzelle and Jackson getting some pretty open looks as well. Its pretty upsetting that a less talented team came into our Arena and beat us. Who knows maybe they didnt pack it in, maybe they just played horribly again.
Anyway what's the recruiting class look like?
RWR
Swell

Unfortunately Johnny hasn't been consistent his whole career.
tnelly15
Riptide

I wont disagree with that, but he's been consistent all season. He was never really asked to do much under Dickerson.
RWR
Swell

He's 33 of 97 for.340 from the floor.
tnelly15
Riptide

He's a 37% 3pt shooter though. I never said he had a good inside game.
RWR
Swell

All of a players shots are not going to be 3's. And we're not talking about inside game. He doesn't have one. We are talking about outside jump shots that are inside the 3 line. I like him and he's capable of getting hot but he hasn't been consistent. He'll have a night like last night to pull up his #'s. If he was consistent he'd see the floor a lot more. If he's ever going to be consistent now is the time. The clock is winding down on his career.
tnelly15
Riptide

You're right not every shot he takes is going to be a 3, but his job is to hit 3's. I havent really seen him take too many mid-range jumpers. (those seem to be almost dead in college B-ball) Your gripe earlier was that we had no consistent 3 point shooter and while he may not be the model of consistency, he has been pretty damn good over the last 10 games. He's hit 44% of his 3's in that period. In those 10 games he's hit atleast two 3's six different times. He doesnt see the floor more because like we've already mentioned he's one dimensional, not because he's inconsistent.
RWR
Swell

tnelly wrote- " Who knows maybe they didnt pack it in, maybe they just played horribly again."

They are on a losing streak but haven't played horribly. Other than the USM game they have been in every game. Your boy Dickerson left us a team w/ no inside game whatsoever. The team is doing their best to overcome that huge obstacle. EC's recruiting is addressing that. He is developing Kevin Thomas and has Josh Davis, a transfer from NC ST., coming on board next year. DD had 5 years and couldn't get us into any of the 4 tourney's that now exist.
tnelly15
Riptide

I wouldn't say Dickerson is my boy, but I think the class he was bringing in this season would have adressed those inside issues. I understand why he was fired and it made sense, but I wouldn't have minded giving him one more season. I haven't bought into Conroy yet like the rest of you have. It's too early to tell either way in my opinion.
rollinggreen
High Tide

Coach got all he could from these guys. They are now reverting back to their old ways, poor shooting, many missed free throws etc. The hustle is there but the talent isn't. This will be at least a 3 year rebuilding thanks to DD.
whodatwavefan
Ripple

So, the OP states that the Dickerson class would have been of benefit to this team.

I disagree.

Let's see what their doing now:

Nate Hicks is a nonfactor with Ga. Tech. Averages < 10 min. and 2 pts per game. Ability to develop still unknown.

Colton Christian...has made 1 FG all year

Rakeem Brookins...looks like he is the one and only loss worth sulking over. However, if Cherry hadn't gotten hurt, the Brookins loss wouldn't be as noticeable.

Terrance Beasley (transferred to NAIA UWF) is virtually non-existant.

Each of these players have been replaced with an upgrade already or will be next year. I'm not missing DD a single solitary second.
RWR
Swell

whodatwavefan wrote:So, the OP states that the Dickerson class would have been of benefit to this team.

I disagree.

Let's see what their doing now:

Nate Hicks is a nonfactor with Ga. Tech. Averages < 10 min. and 2 pts per game. Ability to develop still unknown.

Colton Christian...has made 1 FG all year

Rakeem Brookins...looks like he is the one and only loss worth sulking over. However, if Cherry hadn't gotten hurt, the Brookins loss wouldn't be as noticeable.

Terrance Beasley (transferred to NAIA UWF) is virtually non-existant.

Each of these players have been replaced with an upgrade already or will be next year. I'm not missing DD a single solitary second.
+1

Also, if DD came back several players were leaving. They were tired of DD saying we are doing one thing on offense and the assistants saying to do something else. Timmons was one who would not be here.
tnelly15
Riptide

Those guys are playing in two very good basketball conferences. They are both as good as Thomas is right now. Who knows how well they'd be doing in C-USA. By the way Im pretty sure Timmons only contemplated leaving when Conroy was hired. Just looking at Conroys past records its really nothing impressive. Dickerson and Conroy have a very similar winning percentage.
RWR
Swell

Those guys stats show them doing nothing and they are on teams that are horrible. And you obviously don't follow Tulane basketball closely b/c there were several articles by Tammy about how disgruntled the players were w/ DD. Timmons was definitely not coming back if DD did as per those articles.
tnelly15
Riptide

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... r_ken.html This link leads me to believe otherwise.
From Tammy Nunez
Kendall Timmons, the Tulane redshirt freshman who made the the All-Conference USA freshman team, said Wednesday that he has participated in offseason workouts and is staying with the program despite the coaching change. Dave Dickerson, who has coached the Green Wave for the past five years, resigned on Wednesday
From Kendall Timmons
They recruited me and I've been knowing them since my junior year in high school," Timmons said. "I see them go and another coach come inj with a new staff. I really know how it works, but to have a new coach come in... I'm used to Coach D and his ways."

Take those quotes for what they are worth. Staying despite the coaching change leads me to believe he thought about leaving only when Dickerson left.
b/c there were several articles by Tammy about how disgruntled the players were w/ DD
Give me some links please. Also the one player I've heard from doesnt get along too well with Conroy and he has started pretty much every game.
RWR
Swell

I don't have the time to research it but several players were quoted about the dysfunction on the staff. RD is not prone to firing people. The player unrest had a lot to do w/DD's firing.
tnelly15
Riptide

:lol: Funny you dont have time now that you realize you were wrong. The link I gave pretty much proved Timmons was definitely staying if Coach D was back and only thought about leaving when he resigned. I guess you just dont follow Tulane basketball closely. :lol:
RWR
Swell

I was wrong about Timmons but the players did complain about the dysfunction. Bottom line is you've tried to peddle your bs on two sites and been shot down. DD was given his chance and failed miserably. He was fired and rightfully so.He will never be a successful HC anywhere. You weren't anywhere to be found when we were winning. You wait until the losing streak to spout off. I wish we would have hired Everhart when Perry left and every time we had an opening since . We didn't. But Conroy has a good attitude and a system that will work. His overall record is poor but you have to look at what he took over. Citadel was pitiful but given a couple of years he raised them up. If he can recruit there's a good chance he can do that here. He made a good move hiring Juluke to be the main recruiter. As usual the typical black cloud that hovers over Tulane athletics acted up again and Juluke had to resign. Hopefully this off season he shakes up the staff w/a good replacement like Juluke. So you can keep rooting against Tulane but Conroy and his system will prevail.

ps

funny you are technologically inclined to have found that article from that time period but not the rest.
tnelly15
Riptide

I was wrong about Timmons
Yeah, I was well aware of that. Obviously you dont follow the team close enough right? Or Maybe it's just poor comprehension.
Bottom line is you've tried to peddle your bs on two sites and been shot down. DD was given his chance and failed miserably
I guess you're referring to a post on Nola? I dont really recall, but I may have made a few posts. I'm not really sure what "BS im trying to peddle". It doesnt really bother me that Dickerson is gone, it was probably the right move. However, I dont believe Conroy is the right guy either. He had one good season at the Citadel. Slightly better than the best season DD had here. And I've been shot down? Im not really looking for support. I'm just trying to show that he was not as bad as everyone says.
He will never be a successful HC anywhere
Maybe not. I could say the same about Conroy, neither have accomplished much.
You weren't anywhere to be found when we were winning
I made a few posts after wins. I mean its not like we were beating good teams. We were bullying on some of the worst teams in the country.
So you can keep rooting against Tulane but Conroy and his system will prevail
If I was rooting against him do you really think I'd be pissed when we lose to inferior teams like Rice?
funny you are technologically inclined to have found that article from that time period but not the rest
Mayhane was the only one I could find who said anything negative about Dickerson. That's one player,I didnt find any article where there was anyone else upset with DD.
RWR
Swell

You didn't seem pissed about losing to rice you seemed to be gloating that it proves your point. You can wallow in misery if you choose. As I said you ignore the obvious improvement he made in a short period at The Citadel. The previous schools he's been at don't offer nearly what Tulane can. The fans see the improvement. They see the team playing as a team. Instead of 200 fans we have had back to back crowds of over 2,000. Even w/the loss to UTEP the fans came back. We now get a legit 1,000 despite the losing streak. People are into the games. People see the promise. You don't. That's your loss.
tnelly15
Riptide

You didn't seem pissed about losing to rice you seemed to be gloating that it proves your point. You can wallow in misery if you choose
How the fuck would you know how I felt? I want Conroy to succeed even if I didnt agree with the hire from the start. What makes you believe just because I havent hopped on the Conroy bandwagon yet that I want him to fail? I have nothing to gain from them losing.
As I said you ignore the obvious improvement he made in a short period at The Citadel. The previous schools he's been at don't offer nearly what Tulane can
I dont ignore them, I just believe they werent much better than what Dickerson did in 06-07 and 07-08. Who knows what kind of improvement could have been shown if not for Sims, Holmes and Andersen going down last season. I find it really hard to believe that Tulane is offering a much better situation than anyone in basketball right now.
People see the promise. You don't. That's your loss.
I see some promise. Not as much as you obviously.