How It Should Be Done

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Ted Leonsis with a blue print for how Cowen/Dickson should be communicating with Tulane fans in the Internet age. Think Leonsis has any credibility on this?

IM42lane
Swell

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
JTLiuzza
Swell

In addition to communication, Leonsis makes the point about pursing a strategy, for reform in the case of his article, despite the short term pressure you get to shift to this direction or that. He, of course, is correct, when you are convinced that the strategy you are pursuing is the right one and your steadfastness will be rewarded in time as results finally begin to materialize. That is the prerogative of the head of an organization. And he should live or die on the outcome.

What's equally important is for that organization head to admit, after a long enough time pursuing his strategy with abysmal results, that he was wrong and the critics were right; that the strategy needs to be changed. But that takes a real leader, which Cowen is not.

Instead of that, one of the ways that a weakling in a position of power can justify failed, dumb, policies is to move the goal posts, so to speak. To redefine success such that it includes the results of his policies.

So we trot out the "wins and losses don't matter" malarkey. Taking every opportunity either personally or through surrogates to mouth off about the despicable evil that is college sports, thereby attaching a false nobility of purpose to policies crafted by him that are in reality just plain stupid and have been proven to be so.

Time to re-read "The Emperor's New Clothes."
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:In addition to communication, Leonsis makes the point about pursing a strategy, for reform in the case of his article, despite the short term pressure you get to shift to this direction or that. He, of course, is correct, when you are convinced that the strategy you are pursuing is the right one and your steadfastness will be rewarded in time as results finally begin to materialize. That is the prerogative of the head of an organization. And he should live or die on the outcome.

What's equally important is for that organization head to admit, after a long enough time pursuing his strategy with abysmal results, that he was wrong and the critics were right; that the strategy needs to be changed. But that takes a real leader, which Cowen is not.

Instead of that, one of the ways that a weakling in a position of power can justify failed, dumb, policies is to move the goal posts, so to speak. To redefine success such that it includes the results of his policies.

So we trot out the "wins and losses don't matter" malarkey. Taking every opportunity either personally or through surrogates to mouth off about the despicable evil that is college sports, thereby attaching a false nobility of purpose to policies crafted by him that are in reality just plain stupid and have been proven to be so.

Time to re-read "The Emperor's New Clothes."
Great post. As usual, we're preaching to the choir.
JTLiuzza
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:As usual, we're preaching to the choir.
Well, "preaching to the choir" is definitely true of me. It's therapy; "venting" as they say. But you are trying to reach a much larger audience and I, for one, appreciate it. It's a long overdue effort. If there was one of those emoticons with the two guys clanking mugs of beer together, I'd insert one here.

memo to BigSteve: how about adding a beer clinking emoticon? :D

added on edit: in reference to one of your earlier posts, I note where Mubarak today announced that he will not be seeking re-election. Long live social media networks!! ;)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:As usual, we're preaching to the choir.
Well, "preaching to the choir" is definitely true of me. It's therapy; "venting" as they say. But you are trying to reach a much larger audience and I, for one, appreciate it. It's a long overdue effort. If there was one of those emoticons with the two guys clanking mugs of beer together, I'd insert one here.

memo to BigSteve: how about adding a beer clinking emoticon? :D

added on edit: in reference to one of your earlier posts, I note where Mubarak today announced that he will not be seeking re-election. Long live social media networks!! ;)
I'd wager that 99% of America is currently dramatically underestimating the impact of social media.
JTLiuzza
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:I'd wager that 99% of America is currently dramatically underestimating the impact of social media.
I'm beginning to see the light.