Good memories

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RWR
Swell

Check this out. After watching this no one can say there is a problem w/getting a loud crowd in the Dome. The team is the problem not the facility. It's important to understand that b/c we need the focus to be on the items that will improve the program,i.e., accepting at NCAA standards,PE major, IPF, etc..

http://thehullabaloo.com/2011/01/28/finding-zeno/

Tulane72
Ripple

Wow.

I almost forgot how great Terrence Jones and Zeno were. This shows that Mac Brown and Wally English were terrible for Tulane. English already showed this by picking his son over Bubby Brister. The fact that he didn't try to recruit Marc Zeno proves his lame coaching abilities. Jones showed that although Mac Brown's personality could get a tremendous player ,he couldn't coach the rest that didn't have the natural talents of Marc and Terrence. Terrence was better than Shan King as a player and I nearly forgot because Mac's coaching lost many of the game he should have. And now Terrence is working for Tulane to send his daughter through school. But they are not working him in a football field. I know it's important to embrace the alumni but why aren't the talents of Marc and Terrence some type of coach or advisors. Both the quaterbacks and receivers could use some coaching. This men took risk to score being poorly coached. Terrence is a great guy who loves Tulane. He too choose Tulane over a present day BCS team. Both Oklahoma and LSU. Find Zeno and get him and Terrence into coaching. I'm not their agent. But I tired of quarterbacks getting sacked and receivers dropping balls. These were football players. Where the hell were these videos over the years. Is Tulane Marketing working for the Secret Service. We need to stop forget what works and who made them work
Dennis
TURVS71
Swell

Wow, I too had forgotten just what great athletes both of the guys were. Terrance Jones could run that option and leave a defenders shoes stuck to the turf!

As far as Marc Zeno, I remember when he set the school receiving record. I BELIEVE it was in a game against ULL and he needed some ridiculous yardage and he got it! May have been over 200 yards receiving, I think.

Also, when he played, there were not as many All American Teams as we have now. I recall he was named a First Team AP All American. Back then, Comedian Bob Hope always had a Christmas Special on TV and he would introduce the team, one player at a time. When it came time for Zeno, Zeno ran out on the stage in full uniform, his helmet tucked under his arm and said:

"Mark Zeno, wide receiver Tulane University"

Bob Hope would then make a wisecrack about each player as they stood next to him on the stage. For Zeno, he said:

"This kid can jump! Twice during this season, Goodyear had to come to Tulane to get its blimp back."

These types of athletes are the one that need to push for and demand excellence. Sure wish there was a way to make this happen!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
sader24
Tsunami

He actually set the national receiving yardage record for a career that game. Jones is still my favorite Tulane player ever till this day. If you look at that schedule from 87 I believe we went 3-1 against the SEC. We beat Vandy, Ole Miss, Ms. St, and lost to #5 LSu 41-36. My how our expectations have fallen. Toledo was happy with a 14 pt loss to Ole Miss at home when Ole Miss is terrible. I'm pretty positive Toledo wouldn't even attempt to recruit a guy like Terrance Jones nowadays. The crowd noise with 30K in the Dome was impressive. Two of our other wins were against Iowa St. and Virginia Tech. That's 3 SEC wins, 1 Big East win, and 1 Big 12 win in 1 season. It makes the state of our program now even more depressing than it already is. The schedule is worse, our record is worse, our talent is way worse, our attendance is way worse, expectations are virtually non-existent. I saw a quote from the early 80's from Eamon Kelly and the quote was, "Our goal is to go to the Sugar Bowl." Rick Dickson's letter from a couple weeks back states our goal is to compete in CUSA West and be elgible for a bowl. Anybody see anything majorly wrong with this picture?
Jaxwave
Swell

The problem is that along with all the internal mistakes we have made throughout the years to hinder (feels more like kill) our football program, the non-BCS schools have allowed the system to draw a line in branding and more importantly in revenue sharing. And there is no turning back. There is no way the Tulane admiistration can justify investing the dollars into athletics that it will take to get us back to where we were even in 1987, Think of it this way, we can't schedule the teams we played back in 1987 as a group. Occasionally we can play 1 or maybe even 2 of them in a season, but the BCS schools have shut the non-BCS schools out of their system.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:There is no way the Tulane admiistration can justify investing the dollars into athletics that it will take to get us back to where we were even in 1987
Defeatism, pure and simple. The powers that be at TCU rejected that line of thinking entirely. The results speak for themselves. I'm sure they would tell you today that their investment was worth every penny.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Jaxwave
Swell

I agree. I should have said "will" justify not "can". They can do it but won't. They see athletics as just anothe extracurricular activity like the glee club or debate team, you know something students can participate in outside of school. They've yet to figure out it can be a moneymaker.
I know I'm not investing until I see a committment from Tulane itself.
rollinggreen
High Tide

I have long stop giving to these jerks in Gibson Hall and will not even purchase a ticket to ANY event. The only time I am at a game is if I have free tickets. It is a shame that a useless bag of puss known as Cowen can ruin a long time University.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:The problem is that along with all the internal mistakes we have made throughout the years to hinder (feels more like kill) our football program, the non-BCS schools have allowed the system to draw a line in branding and more importantly in revenue sharing. And there is no turning back. There is no way the Tulane admiistration can justify investing the dollars into athletics that it will take to get us back to where we were even in 1987, Think of it this way, we can't schedule the teams we played back in 1987 as a group. Occasionally we can play 1 or maybe even 2 of them in a season, but the BCS schools have shut the non-BCS schools out of their system.
The BCS will soon be irrelevant, if it isn't already.

If you put forth a good football program with a relevant schedule, the game will be broadcast and people will watch. I'm not even going to bother reminding of the examples of Boise, TCU....
JTLiuzza
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:I agree. I should have said "will" justify not "can". They can do it but won't. They see athletics as just anothe extracurricular activity like the glee club or debate team, you know something students can participate in outside of school. They've yet to figure out it can be a moneymaker.
I know I'm not investing until I see a committment from Tulane itself.
Definitely agree, Jax.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
sader24
Tsunami

That's the thing though, the investment is not some astronomical figure. We're talking about allowing our coaches to recruit on equal ground with everyone which costs nothing. The costs as I see them are creating an infrastructure to support these kids academically once they get in, building an indoor practice facility, bringing our head coaches salary up in the neighborhood of 1.5 million and kicking up our asst. salaries. Honestly, just allowing our coaches to recruit and raising their pay significantly would probably double our win total. You cannot convince me we should not be winning 8+ games per year in this conference with this schedule. What happens if Toledo wins 6 games this year and we don't go bowling? Do we really give a 68 yr old coach with no bowl appearances in 5 years an extension? Tulane football is a rudderless ship. Does anyone honestly believe Dickson or Toledo even has a list of goals they are shooting for 5 years from now? Neither one of them has any idea where the program is heading.
RWR
Swell

Welcome aboard rollinggreen.
Tulane72
Ripple

Mr Joseph,

Have you ever thought that the BCS was created to make sure that Tulane didn't have a shot to compete for the National Championship in 1998. I remember closely watching all sports reports on Tulane because I knew they were going to have a great season. Since I looked at more sport reports then I have ever done it amazed me at the end of the season that all of sudden they had a BCS that nobody voted on. Even the ex Florida State coach on ESPN saw Tulane's potential. And I think the BCS conference didn't want another Brigham Young out stepping them for a National Championship. Remember the talk after Brigham Young won about their schedule. So I feel at that time they put a plan into action that they would use in case a Brigham Young type situation would come about again. Now I could be wrong maybe they mentioned something about a BCS in the beginning of the season but I never saw anything until Tulane won 8 games. I think the whole system is anti trust and why some Tulane bigshot lawyer is not suing the BCS school for this. To me the BCS is Un-American. Every nationality that came to America came to this country to have an opportunity to rise from poverty or abuse. The BCS is the king game not the people's game. Our ancestors came here to get rid of the kings. Why is this O.K. People know it is wrong and unfair but they justify it because their teams have an advantage. You can justify anything if you lie to yourself. I remember when people use to think that a black football player couldn't be a quarterback or an offensive lineman because they wasn't smart enough. The BCS promotes an athletic form of racism. Only now instead of being black it the non-BCS teams that are not capable no matter what the talent and coaching. I will have to get to a library like UNO and look at their newspaper files and see if they mention the BCS when the 1998 season started. Right now I'm recovering to surgery and it's a little difficult. I really think Tulane can make so money off the BCS if they prove anti-trust since they were the first team to be affected by the BCS. This is what the Tulane Board should have been looking at when they were deciding to get rid of sports. Next thought what qualifies a person to be on the Tulane board. I've look at online bio of the board and most have been on it for 15 years or more. Most belong to 5-6 boards and most run some type of national company. So do they have time to examine the sports programs in depth or do they depend on some bias anti sports people to give them the information. It times they come out of their rat holes and let us see their qualitfications on running a program.

Dennis