Idea

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RWR
Swell

I've always thought a good site would be one where everyone is not just there to take information but also to share it. I understand that many are too busy and at this point in time I fall in that category. What I'm getting at is maybe some posters can adopt certain sites to monitor and then share the info. here. The various sites would be Tulane's, I know that sounds obvious but it is clear that many do not check that site based on posts, nola.com, neworleans.com(not the same as nola.com), the Advocate(Les East writes some nice articles there about Tulane). I'll start by making everyone aware that you can got to Tulane's site and watch Rick Jones media day interview that he gave this morning.

Tulane72
Ripple

When I played in the 70's the local media was O.K. as long as Bob Roseler was the Sports Editor. Finney was a LSU sports beat reporter and he did that well. Sweeny was a Tulane sports beat reporter and he did that excellent. But in Grid Week we have a guy named" Cock and Bull" always putting down Tulane. We also had Buddy D minimizing Tulane accomplishments in the same magazine. Hap Gaudi didn't give me a sense that he had a warm feeling toward Tulane either . Except for "Cock and Bull" I grew up respecting these men despite there lack of smooth delivery. I respected them but I felt they were New Orleans. But I learned they were pro LSU and by their reporting anti Tulane. I can almost understand why, considering the blunders of the administration of Tulane. Rufus Harris de=emphasing football in the early 50's. Dinwiddle in 1925 refusing let his team play in the Rose Bowl. These blunders angered their mentor Digby who set up the Rose Bowl game in 1925 and help create the Sugar Bowl. Both times he got Tulane involved and they almost refused to take the hint both times. Thank God Lester Lautenscshlaeger talk the players into playing the first Sugar Bowl instead of listening to the school president in refusing to play. Yet in 1971 when I was a freshmen at Tulane why did he predict the end of football at Tulane when the year before they had just won the Liberty Bowl. He made a statement at a Sugar Bowl party in 1972 predicting another end of Tulane football surrounded by LSU fans. Did he think that this would be kept a secret. This forced the athletic director to contact Ellender and figure out how to minimize the damage. At the board meeting Ellender suggested that they give him a 10 years contact to show the commitment of the board. So one great ex player (coach on the 1925 team and the 1931 ) keeps predicting the end of football at Tulane and another ex player uses Tulane to get his contract extended. How can Digby (who was a LSU fan), and his followers Bubby and Hap ever take Tulane seriously. I can see how New Orleans boys can be tempted to do this but Tulane is still the only division one football team in the city of New Orleans and I can't in my mind justify their treatment of Tulane. I red their newspaper reports and saw their televison reports and I rarely got that warm feeling from them and we were winning. By the way the Morning Advocate has been fair toward Tulane and that surprizes me considering there in Baton Rouge
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

What you are referring to is simply the concept of social media, and you are correct it's a no brainer. Truthfully, everything you described can and should be done at a basic level with a Facebook page. I've spoken to Tulane Athletics about their social media strategy (back when I was bending over backwards trying to help them) and not surprisingly they don't get it.

But the reality is they don't want to get it and never will. In a world of social media (which is defined by "sharing", truth and honesty) many-to-many communication rule the day and that doesn't fit into the world that Tulane wants to operate in. They prefer pre-Internet one-to-many communication. They want to be able to write letters or emails reminding you that they "don't judge by wins and losses" without a mechanism for people to call bullshit or talk back.

I've also looked into starting a very professional version of what you described (with top notch Tulane reporting and behind the scenes stuff) and found the reality is there is no market for it as a full time business. For example, Scott Kushner has a full-time job outside of TWR. That's part of why I am trying to get people to speak up, because there is no market for the Tulane Model and there never will be.
JTLiuzza
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:They want to be able to write letters or emails reminding you that they "don't judge by wins and losses" without a mechanism for people to call bullshit or talk back.
Absolutely right. That's a very textbook symptom of an age old problem, i.e. incompetent, insecure leadership who, rather than fix problems, is more interested in quelling any questioning and opposition, and focusing on pro administration propaganda and non stop stories about how great the leader is.

It makes me think of the reports a number of years ago coming out of N Korea that praised Kim Jong-Il as he played his first round of golf ever and made like 8 holes in one. Now I know Cowen is not a maniacal commie dictator and that he's just a schlub running a middle of the road university in decline, not to mention a poster boy for the Peter Principle, but you get the drift.

Shame on all of us alums for not insisting on his ouster after he revealed himself to be a snake in 2003.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:They want to be able to write letters or emails reminding you that they "don't judge by wins and losses" without a mechanism for people to call bullshit or talk back.
Absolutely right. That's a very textbook symptom of an age old problem, i.e. incompetent, insecure leadership who, rather than fix problems, is more interested in quelling any questioning and opposition, and focusing on pro administration propaganda and non stop stories about how great the leader is.

It makes me think of the reports a number of years ago coming out of N Korea that praised Kim Jong-Il as he played his first round of golf ever and made like 8 holes in one. Now I know Cowen is not a maniacal commie dictator and that he's just a schlub running a middle of the road university in decline, not to mention a poster boy for the Peter Principle, but you get the drift.

Shame on all of us alums for not insisting on his ouster after he revealed himself to be a snake in 2003.
Absolutely. And knowing what we all know now, I continue to be amazed that people are mostly content to sit on their hands and take whatever come their way, even knowing that Cowen is a problem.

And your dictator comment isn't as far out as you may think. The social Web lets information travel freely....see what's happening in Egypt and what will happen in other countries with Arab dictators down the line.

There are lots of skeptics of my Facebook/blog campaign to dial up the heat on Cowen, but rest assured it's the same tools that are providing the infrastructure for overthrowing a dictator of 30+ years in Egypt.
TURVS71
Swell

I think monitoring and the consolidating information for other site is a good idea. Perhaps it can be just a simple as another separate board called " Tulane in the Media" This board could have just the links of all outside stories or a capsule of what a story might have said. We will take a look at it. I would be willing to try and monitor. Tulanegreenwave Nola and New Orleans.com
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TURVS71 wrote:I think monitoring and the consolidating information for other site is a good idea. Perhaps it can be just a simple as another separate board called " Tulane in the Media" This board could have just the links of all outside stories or a capsule of what a story might have said. We will take a look at it. I would be willing to try and monitor. Tulanegreenwave Nola and New Orleans.com
You are more than welcome to add all such links to the New Wave Facebook page.