Have the waters calmed any?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Now that we are some days post coaching retention decision, how are we feeling?
I was upset and felt as if my position and point of view was not considered. Of course, I know it wouldn't be, personally, but as a part of the fan base. Since a little time has passed, I suppose I am coming to terms with the decision.(not much else I could do) This does not mean that I agree with Cowen or Dickson, (still wish Cowen would consider taking his Social Security :D). 2011 will be the year that SOMETHING will happen. We all know that either Toledo wins or we get a new coach. I am not trying to minimize the events of this past week but what else can we do. Until Cowen is replaced with a more "athletic friendly" president, I really don't know what else to do. I am SOO tired of waiting, (tick, tick, tick)

Perhaps at this time next year, we will have forgotten about this and we will be looking forward to a decent bowl. I sure hope so..............

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

I'm still p!ssed and will not become unp!ssed.

You're right in that Toledo is the coach and there's nothing we can do about it now. At this time next year we'll be looking for a new head coach after another crappy season.

But the idiot running Tulane football into the ground needs to feel pressure every day until he is gone, gone, gone.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:I'm still p!ssed and will not become unp!ssed.

You're right in that Toledo is the coach and there's nothing we can do about it now. At this time next year we'll be looking for a new head coach after another crappy season.

But the idiot running Tulane football into the ground needs to feel pressure every day until he is gone, gone, gone.
Right, and it's gotta start with those of us who are angry. Thanks to Cowen, most alumni I know have no idea what's going on with the athletic department. I have a classmate who married a Oregon Ducks grad and he's now a huge Ducks fan. He also travels to one Big Ten game every year, I think it was a Wisconsin game this year. Obviously a huge college football fan and I'm willing to bet you he couldn't name Tulane's starting QB.

We need to educate the Tulane community and make some noise.
Last edited by jonathanjoseph on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTLiuzza
Swell

And one day down the road if he's really successful and makes a ton of money, guess where he'll send the fat donations? Oregon.

Cowen's "vision" is disaster in both the short and long term.
glennc
Low Tide

I am also still pissed. Dickson said he is sure we are going to a bowl game next year. I think he should resign if we don't because there is no chance that we are going to a bowl game. Lets look at our weakness's. This team has no speed. Thjey are not athletic. they can't tackle. They can't block and the coaching is not good. In a nutshell this team stinks and Dickson is the only one who can't see this.
Pepper
Swell

I think we'll go bowling next year but we'll still win no more than 6 games. Probably the NO Bowl. And both RD AND BT will get long extensions.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
JTLiuzza
Swell

13 games next year I believe because we're traveling to Hawaii. Need to win 7 to go to a bowl.
ExileWave
Surge

Congratualtiona on the new site- I am happy top be here.

I had a scary thought :idea: - remember that Dodd was brought in as "head coach in waiting" by Toledo. IF we win 7 next year by some miracle, BT may decide it is time to ride into the sunset having proven his way works, and RD will hand the team to Dodd. The more I think of it, there is no doubt that could be behind the scenes in this process- maintain a cheap and boring system and the fans won't notice until it's too late because we won 7.

Experts on the other boards rave at how easy our schedule is in 2011- those so called "near wins" this season vs. USM and SMU were at least a result of bad play by the opposition- no doubt "spurred on" by the few thousand comatose people in the Dome. The Dome does give us a home field advantage by being so empty- the other team can't get fired up. USM hammered UCF, a team we are nowhere near competitive with. Time will tell...

Thanks again for the new forum. :D
tnelly15
Riptide

Well the schedule for next year is pretty easy, for an average team. Unfortunately we looked below average pretty often this season.
And I dont even want to think about Dodd being the head coach.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Who in the He!! is Toledo to desigante who the next head coach should be !!!...I am hearing Toledo is pushing Dan Dodd as the next head coach or Head coach in waiting...yo Toledo, you were brought to New Mexico to replace "Dandy Dan Dood "..he should be next in line at the unemployment line !!!!..."now serving number 43"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JTLiuzza
Swell

Yeah I don't know where that "Dodd is the heir apparent" malarkey got started.

I would say coaches of a certain very high stature have the privelege of handing off a program that they built to a hand picked successor. Toledo is not even close to that stature and won't be next season or the one after that.
Bigschtick
Riptide

I am completely fed up with Tulane admin. They laugh in the fans faces and have NO intention of making any commitment. I cannot believe that with some here and on other forums, its business as usual. Cowen is a shallow phony and Dickson is a loser. It is very difficult to get excited about Tulane football. I just do not know how many times the fans have to be slapped to get the point. Toledo may well be one of the worse coaches in this country and when you look at the type of three star athletes the other teams have lined up,including Rice, it becomes even more apparent that we will continue to be bottom dwellers in this conference. It will be no different next year other than the patsies that we are lined up to play. If they drop football, so be it. At least the enablers like so many members on Yoggie will wake up to the fact that they have been big suckers. And quite frankly, I doubt the apathetic students could give a damn.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
RWR
Swell

Bigschtick wrote:I am completely fed up with Tulane admin. They laugh in the fans faces and have NO intention of making any commitment. I cannot believe that with some here and on other forums, its business as usual. Cowen is a shallow phony and Dickson is a loser. It is very difficult to get excited about Tulane football. I just do not know how many times the fans have to be slapped to get the point. Toledo may well be one of the worse coaches in this country and when you look at the type of three star athletes the other teams have lined up,including Rice, it becomes even more apparent that we will continue to be bottom dwellers in this conference. It will be no different next year other than the patsies that we are lined up to play. If they drop football, so be it. At least the enablers like so many members on Yoggie will wake up to the fact that they have been big suckers. And quite frankly, I doubt the apathetic students could give a damn.
The fans have gotten the point long ago. Ticket sales have been down along w/attendance and TAF donations. You base your comments on a very few posters. Tulane football at its best would draw 40,000 no matter the opponent and more when we have an attractive opponent. Our actual attendance has been well below 5,000 for some time. Jonathanjoseph is trying to use the new media to apply pressure. He's fighting an uphill battle b/c there is so little interest in Tulane athletics and those that do care see that all efforts to get SC and RD to make significant changes have been futile so they see no sense in spending time on something that will fall on deaf ears. I do appreciate his efforts and truly hope he can pull the miracle off.
JTLiuzza
Swell

RWR wrote:Jonathanjoseph is trying to use the new media to apply pressure. He's fighting an uphill battle b/c there is so little interest in Tulane athletics and those that do care see that all efforts to get SC and RD to make significant changes have been futile so they see no sense in spending time on something that will fall on deaf ears. I do appreciate his efforts and truly hope he can pull the miracle off.
I agree and appreciate Jonathan's efforts as well. I hope as many of us as possible are passing along the links he provides to folks we know who would be interested.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:
RWR wrote:Jonathanjoseph is trying to use the new media to apply pressure. He's fighting an uphill battle b/c there is so little interest in Tulane athletics and those that do care see that all efforts to get SC and RD to make significant changes have been futile so they see no sense in spending time on something that will fall on deaf ears. I do appreciate his efforts and truly hope he can pull the miracle off.
I agree and appreciate Jonathan's efforts as well. I hope as many of us as possible are passing along the links he provides to folks we know who would be interested.
That's much appreciated and very helpful.

I assure you, once/if we can get that Facebook page fan count up to about 1,000, this will be able have an impact. Surely there are a lot more than 1000 angry Tulane fans.

edit: and if you really want to stir the pot, someone post the link on YOGWF. ;)
Bigschtick
Riptide

J.J: Do not get me wrong. I love Tulane like all here. I also applaud and appreciate your efforts and do visit these sights. I am just convinced that nothing will be fixed at Tulane until we have a new president and an athletic director that are smart enough to see that a viable and successful athletic program is a big plus.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Bigschtick wrote:J.J: Do not get me wrong. I love Tulane like all here. I also applaud and appreciate your efforts and do visit these sights. I am just convinced that nothing will be fixed at Tulane until we have a new president and an athletic director that are smart enough to see that a viable and successful athletic program is a big plus.
If people took that stance in 2003 we would not have a D-1A athletic program today. That entire thing happened because Cowen was publicly embarrassed.

Back then it was just email. Using Facebook and Twitter it would be exponentially easier. But the ball has to get rolling.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HELL NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:J.J: Do not get me wrong. I love Tulane like all here. I also applaud and appreciate your efforts and do visit these sights. I am just convinced that nothing will be fixed at Tulane until we have a new president and an athletic director that are smart enough to see that a viable and successful athletic program is a big plus.
If people took that stance in 2003 we would not have a D-1A athletic program today. That entire thing happened because Cowen was publicly embarrassed.

Back then it was just email. Using Facebook and Twitter it would be exponentially easier. But the ball has to get rolling.
Publicly embarrassing Cowen, and his BoA, is the only way you're going to get this guy to either retire or start pursuing policies that will get Tulane "back on the map", athletically and academically. His vast ego makes him particularly vulnerable to public embarrassment.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana