Immediate future

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

The stadium won't be ready until 2014. The new curriculum is under consideration and won't have much effect on this recruting class; we have room for only 2 more recruits meaning about 15 overall. The new HC will be learning on the job.

Based on the above, I feel like we will all have to have a lot of patience over the next 2-3 years with high probability that the annual W-L records will be somewhere in the neighborhood of where they've been over the last 2-3 years. Not known for our patience, attendance may not improve dramatically during this time. After that we can expect to see the positive effect we assume all these changes will bring.

Here's my concern. These records and attendance are not good enough to convince any bigger conference to accept us. Will these changes be enough to convince them? IMHO we really needed to hit a HR with the coaching search so we could have turned the results and attendance around immediately.

It's my feeling that if Tulane does not join a BCS conference with the financial rewards that come with that, Tulane will not be able to build a sufficient fan base necessary to support the athletic program long term.

Bigschtick
Riptide

It will be years, if ever, that we end up in a BCS conference. A little realism is needed here.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

with the OC we just hired, we just threw in the damn towel..in fact threw in the whole damn bathroom !!!!..Eric, "F#@kin' Price ?!?!?...gawd, I already renewed my season tickets...what a damn waste...this is a multiple train wreck waiting to happen
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JDTulane
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:with the OC we just hired, we just threw in the damn towel..in fact threw in the whole damn bathroom !!!!..Eric, "F#@kin' Price ?!?!?...gawd, I already renewed my season tickets...what a damn waste...this is a multiple train wreck waiting to happen
Care to give reasons? If being at Memphis for ONE year is your reason.........
ajcalhoun
Swell

Bigschtick wrote:It will be years, if ever, that we end up in a BCS conference. A little realism is needed here.
The landscape in CFB is going to change a lot in the next few years. It's too early to tell if the the concept of the BCS and AQ conferences will survive as we know them today. The "haves" may decide to move away from the NCAA altogether, similar to the formation of the CFA back in the 80's.
God Bless Everyone!
wavedat
Swell

JDTulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:with the OC we just hired, we just threw in the damn towel..in fact threw in the whole damn bathroom !!!!..Eric, "F#@kin' Price ?!?!?...gawd, I already renewed my season tickets...what a damn waste...this is a multiple train wreck waiting to happen
He's been at Memphis 2 years and they sucked. He was unemployed as recently as 2009. Terrible hire. Even worse is LW as DC. This is going to be worse than anyone could imagine.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:The stadium won't be ready until 2014. The new curriculum is under consideration and won't have much effect on this recruting class; we have room for only 2 more recruits meaning about 15 overall. The new HC will be learning on the job.

Based on the above, I feel like we will all have to have a lot of patience over the next 2-3 years with high probability that the annual W-L records will be somewhere in the neighborhood of where they've been over the last 2-3 years. Not known for our patience, attendance may not improve dramatically during this time. After that we can expect to see the positive effect we assume all these changes will bring.

Here's my concern. These records and attendance are not good enough to convince any bigger conference to accept us. Will these changes be enough to convince them? IMHO we really needed to hit a HR with the coaching search so we could have turned the results and attendance around immediately.

It's my feeling that if Tulane does not join a BCS conference with the financial rewards that come with that, Tulane will not be able to build a sufficient fan base necessary to support the athletic program long term.
Having this new football stadium ready for opening night of the 2014 season is already something that, if you know how Tulane almost always is, as in slow, seems to be really, really optimistic. They still have to raise the last $20 or $30 million or so and have not yet announced any groundbreaking date.

And yes, it's almost certainly going to be at least a 2-3 year process of building things under the new coaching regime.

And then, especially given Tulane's whole history, any major conference would be way out of their mind to invite Tulane to join until the program is really and truly producing results. There's just no guarantee that things are going to "get there." I just don't buy into any kind of contention that somehow the Big 12 or some other major conference would invite Tulane in some kind of expectation or anticipation of some kind of surge of interest to come at some point in the future and right now there's just no way to gauge what's going to happen -- and then on top of that there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in C-USA football and especially if you aren't dominating things in conference play, e.g. Houston.

Ergo you're in a conundrum and I don't see a new stadium, after a momentary time when a lot of people will be curious to see it, really changing that.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JDTulane wrote:
First note "wavedat's" respone..second...this has all the makings of RD being involved in who get's hired..we had a coach on Toledo's staff that was hired because his wife is employed at Tulane..way to much interfernce form the admistration !!! either be an Admin or be a coach but make a damn choice...or if you are not capable of leading..get the hell out of the way ..by the way , I called AEX and cancelled my contibution to TAF when I found out who was hired...Gawd, Eric F#@kin Price...RD must owe hiz daddy big time
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

I think our talent is better than our record. I believe Toledo lost the team after the Duke game and that we had minimal discipline. I do not know how good out talent is, nor do I know how good our coaches are. However, I do believe that CJ will put discipline, strength and conditioning at the forefront. I am willing to give him a chance. He seems genuine and excited. I do believe that Lionel Washington will do a better job. CJ is going after coaches with both college and NFL experience, nothing wrong with that.
Jaxwave
Swell

I too am willing to give CJ a chance but realistically with the hand dealt him how many wins do you expect each of the next 3 years? I say 2-4 each year.
tnelly15
Riptide

wavedat wrote: This is going to be worse than anyone could imagine.
Bullshit. Eric Price> Dan Dodd
Lionel Washington> Steve Stanard
I'm not saying this staff is great, but if you think it'll be worse than we can imagine then you must have slept through the previous regime.
JDTulane
Riptide

Can't be WORSE. If we went 0-12 then we fire Cujo and hire someone else. And by then maybe Cowen and RD would attract a name. So either CuJo rocks and we're happy or it gets worse to be much better.
JerseyWave
Riptide

With good coaching and the talent already on hand we can win 50% of our games. CJ has two full recruiting classes before moving into the new stadium.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:With good coaching and the talent already on hand we can win 50% of our games. CJ has two full recruiting classes before moving into the new stadium.
The whole plan is flawed. Two recruiting classes is not enough, yet 2 more 2/3 win seasons and they are going to have a lot of trouble selling tickets for the stadium opening, and 10K in a stadium opening would be a disaster.

If CJ doesn't get this team to at least .500 by the end of his second season, there will be quite the dilemma. Would be in another Dickson-induced bind.
gbgreenie
Surge

Jaxwave I strongly dispute your negatism. You reside the Wave as only winning 2-3 games a year for the next 2-3 years because that is what Toledo had them do. Do you remember 1997-98 or do you have a bad memory. I am not saying they will go unbeaten but don't shortchange what a new coaching staff can do with the players we currently have. Winning is 80% ability and at least 20% attitude and believing in yourself and the team. Conservatively I believe the new staff can double the wins of the Toledo led teams for the following reasons. I saw many bad coaching decisions made on the field. Don't believe a bad coaching decision does not give players bad attitudes because it does. Have you ever played football Jaxwave. Does not sound like it. Secondly the new staff and committment will permeate into the players mind as they will be once again be proud of this university. All they need now is fan support to give them that added edge. We don't need anymore negatism from fans like Jaxwave because he has this team giving up already. We need to give support and emphasize what can happen as in 1997-98. We need to help foster pride and committment in the current athletes not degrade them like Jaxwave. I hope I am in the majority or we are defeated before playing the next game.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

gbgreenie wrote:Jaxwave I strongly dispute your negatism. You reside the Wave as only winning 2-3 games a year for the next 2-3 years because that is what Toledo had them do. Do you remember 1997-98 or do you have a bad memory. I am not saying they will go unbeaten but don't shortchange what a new coaching staff can do with the players we currently have. Winning is 80% ability and at least 20% attitude and believing in yourself and the team. Conservatively I believe the new staff can double the wins of the Toledo led teams for the following reasons. I saw many bad coaching decisions made on the field. Don't believe a bad coaching decision does not give players bad attitudes because it does. Have you ever played football Jaxwave. Does not sound like it. Secondly the new staff and committment will permeate into the players mind as they will be once again be proud of this university. All they need now is fan support to give them that added edge. We don't need anymore negatism from fans like Jaxwave because he has this team giving up already. We need to give support and emphasize what can happen as in 1997-98. We need to help foster pride and committment in the current athletes not degrade them like Jaxwave. I hope I am in the majority or we are defeated before playing the next game.
Unfortunately, the viewpoint is entirely rational and warranted. You have a career position coach getting his first leadership job, and the historical success rate in those a
Situations is horrible. That's not being negative, thats just the facts.

Then you have a guy who didn't really articulate a vision for the future, didn't seem to know much about the stadium, said he didn't worry much about academic issues as they relate to Tulane Football, and didn't seem to think full time work or recruiting or making changes to the coaching staff were priorities. If you aren't at least concerned, you aren't paying attention to Dickson's history.

We all hope CJ is going to become the local savior, but you'd have to be disingenuous to suggest that skepticism isn't warranted.
gbgreenie
Surge

You have to believe until proven otherwise or it is a lost cause. CJ is bringing the Saints offense don't worry about who the coordinator will be. CJ said if needed Drew Brees would be happy to come work with the QB's. Let's keep this enthusiasm for now and see what happens. They will basically use the Saints playbook.
JDTulane
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote:You have to believe until proven otherwise or it is a lost cause. CJ is bringing the Saints offense don't worry about who the coordinator will be. CJ said if needed Drew Brees would be happy to come work with the QB's. Let's keep this enthusiasm for now and see what happens. They will basically use the Saints playbook.

Thats what the hope is anyway... I'm more worried about our defense and special teams at the moment. Offense will be fine with CuJo.
Jaxwave
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Conservatively I believe the new staff can double the wins of the Toledo led teams .
The key word here is believe. This is your opinion and I have mine. The post below yours outlines a lot of why I think the probability is closer to my beliefs than yours. I will admit I lean to the pessimistic side when I analyze Tulane football. I wonder why. Could history be a factor?
ajcalhoun
Swell

JDTulane wrote:If we went 0-12 then we fire Cujo and hire someone else. And by then maybe Cowen and RD would attract a name.
I'm sorry JD but I don't follow this logic. If we couldn't get a big name this time how is going 0-12 going to help us next time?

BTW I don't think we will go 0-12.
God Bless Everyone!
gbgreenie
Surge

I want you guys to know that Sean Payton was just a QB coach and look what kind of Head Coach he has become. Remember Chris Scelfo, he was an assistant Head Coach at Georgia, he became a lousy Head Coach. Give CJ a chance and for now let this pesimism ly to rest. For the hope of the future give it a rest. Remember some recruits can be reading this forum and get turned off by what is being said.
wavedat
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:
wavedat wrote: This is going to be worse than anyone could imagine.
bullsh*t. Eric Price> Dan Dodd
Lionel Washington> Steve Stanard
I'm not saying this staff is great, but if you think it'll be worse than we can imagine then you must have slept through the previous regime.
Wrong as usual.

Toledo was the OC for most of his time here. Dodd was OC in title only. In the few instances where Dodd was allowed to run the offense he ran the no huddle spread and we had success offensively. Toledo would then get insecure and take back the play calling.

As for Stanard I don't think much of him but LW is on the downside of his career and has never been a DC. We need much, much better than that.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote:I think our talent is better than our record. I believe Toledo lost the team after the Duke game and that we had minimal discipline. I do not know how good out talent is, nor do I know how good our coaches are. However, I do believe that CJ will put discipline, strength and conditioning at the forefront. I am willing to give him a chance. He seems genuine and excited. I do believe that Lionel Washington will do a better job. CJ is going after coaches with both college and NFL experience, nothing wrong with that.
"You are , what your record say's you are"...enuff said !!!!
ExileWave
Surge

gbgreenie wrote:I want you guys to know that Sean Payton was just a QB coach and look what kind of Head Coach he has become. Remember Chris Scelfo, he was an assistant Head Coach at Georgia, he became a lousy Head Coach. Give CJ a chance and for now let this pesimism ly to rest. For the hope of the future give it a rest. Remember some recruits can be reading this forum and get turned off by what is being said.
Brees worked with Griffin last summer when the Saints were at Tulane during the lockout. How did that work out? We need talent, not having the NFL's best QB wasting his time. We can run the Saints offense, but we need the Saints players to make it work. The West Coast we all hate works well for Stanford- great QB, great OL, they run and pass. CJ has a HUGE challenge ahead of him. At least in 2014 Houston and SMU will be off the schedule (if they go Big East), maybe that will add 2 wins.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Where is it written that Price and Washington have signed on? I have not seen any formal announcement and I see that our friends at the T-P (Toilet Paper)
have even deleted the link to Tulane athletics.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!