Steve and Dennis

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RWR
Swell

I have a suggestion. Coaches love to look down on fans and say they have no clue what they are watching. I would ask you two to give insight into the game through several post leading into spring practice. You could cover topics like gaps, x,y,z receivers, 3 technique v. nose tackle, etc.. Explanations of coverage on punts and kick-offs would be great tooalong w/how to set up returns. Steve you played defense and Dennis you played offense. Educate the masses please.

IM42lane
Swell

Great idea, if possible.

ROLL WAVE ROLL ! ! !

RWR wrote:I have a suggestion. Coaches love to look down on fans and say they have no clue what they are watching. I would ask you two to give insight into the game through several post leading into spring practice. You could cover topics like gaps, x,y,z receivers, 3 technique v. nose tackle, etc.. Explanations of coverage on punts and kick-offs would be great tooalong w/how to set up returns. Steve you played defense and Dennis you played offense. Educate the masses please.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Tulane72
Ripple

Wow you guys give me too much credit. I played football but I'm not a student of football. You guys know more about this than I do. What I know about is winning. What I know about is can do versus can't do. I can tell you what was going on doing the games I played. I can tell how the press treated us. I can tell you about good coaching versus bad coaching. I can tell you how important it is to recruit the New Orleans and Louisiana players. I about my personnal high and lows the 12 years I played football. I can tell you about New Orleans in the 60's and 70's. I can tell you about the genealogy of good football players based on what my cousin, my brother, myself and some of the players I played with in little league football. I can even tell you what the duties of an offensive line is at the start of each play. I can tell you about pre spring, spring and pre fall practice. I can tell you about what I felt like my first road game at Boston College. I can even tell you how much the Tulane women hated football players my first year at Tulane .I can tell you how I hated the 1970's except for the music. But I'm afraid the rest I'm not qualified but I am happy to answer anything you want to ask me even if the answer requires me to put myself at a not so flattering view. It's Tulane that's important not me. I made my own bed. I don't admire failure especially in myself. The curse of obsessive complusive behavior. But that behavior caused me to be sort of an allstar until I allowed Jackson to make me forget that for awhile. But just ask I answer. I thought of writing a book about playing football in New Orleans. I thought of calling it" From nerd to the invisible man: Football in New Orleans"
Dennis
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

There are so many caveats in just playing DE that I couldn't go into it all, and I wouldn't know it all. But let me think about this, and I will definitely come back with some stuff. I may even have a couple of our defensive gameplan packages lying around the house. We got them the Sunday after every game for the next weeks' opponent. They included lineups, offensive formations, and defensive schemes for those formations. I'll keep ya posted.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RWR
Swell

Thanks.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Found what I was looking for stored away at my dad's house. When I get a chance, I'll go ahead and scan some of it and post it here. I can definitely go over DL gaps, alignment, blocks, and how to react to them.
Roll Wave!
RWR
Swell

BUMP
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Sorry about that, totally slipped my mind. I will have Monday/Tuesday of next week... driving to Houston this weekend for some family stuff.
Roll Wave!
RWR
Swell

Gentle reminder.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I know I know, I've been slacking. Leaving for San Fran for work on Monday but will be at TURV's house this weekend.

TURV, don't let me forget the game plans when we come over.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Slacking I know, but just got back into town. I'll scan some stuff this weekend.
Roll Wave!