690 AM

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
IM42lane
Swell

Is this station adequate for Tulane's needs, or should TU find another station (perhaps FM) which could serve our needs better? Is there such a candidate anywhere out there for TU to use?

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I like the station, hate the signal/reception.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Tulane72
Ripple

It doesn't seem what station Tulane picks the reception is terrible always. I live in Picayune and until I found out that you could listen to the game online I was tortured listening to the game. Usually when the game got exciting the reception would go. One time I was driving home listening to the Tulane-TCU game with Ramsay as the quarterback. Tulane was about to come back and win the game but just as it was about to happen the reception was fading. I had to pull in a supermarket parking lot in Picayune and keep spinning around to caught the rest of the game. The parking lot is only 55 miles from New Orleans. The funny thing is that the week before I was in Donaldsonville driving home and I could hear the Southern Mississippi game on the same station and clearly as one could hear. Why do signal change for Tulane. So this is just one of the many tortures that an former Tulane football player has to go through to remain loyal. Nowadays when I go to church in Slidell I have to listen to a Vietnese priest say go Tigers right before his sermon. This has happened 9 Sundays in a row when he was the priest for that mass. Now I know Tiger stadium is not is Saigon or Hanoi so why to I have to listen to this crap. Normally I can handle it but the second time when Toledo didn't go for the touchdown on the 1 yard line against Southern Miss and LSU lucks out and wins a game they shouldn't have I couldn't handle it. I could't even go to communion because I didn't have a good heart. I have a lots more of this crap just because I played for Tulane. But you know what if given the same choice when I signed with Tulane I would do it again.
Dennis
JTLiuzza
Swell

I'm fine with it as well. I don't know what options there are given audience size. And it' just local listenership as well because they're not allowed to stream online.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
TURVS71
Swell

I like the station and it seems that the signal is strong from east to west along 1-10 ( Florida to Texas) BUT weak, north to south. Perhaps that is intentional since the population would be greater (assumption) along the I-10 corridor.

The only thing that gripes me is that on occasion, I have heard Tulane as the butt of some jokes. I don't expect them to sugar coat anything, but I don't care for "insulting" comments that are made. If WIST is the FLAGSHIP station of Tulane Athletics, then I would like to see THAT in their advertising, both radio and print. I hear it some but not as much as I would like.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

It's the year 2011.

Internet > AM Radio
JTLiuzza
Swell

TURVS71 wrote:The only thing that gripes me is that on occasion, I have heard Tulane as the butt of some jokes. I don't expect them to sugar coat anything, but I don't care for "insulting" comments that are made. If WIST is the FLAGSHIP station of Tulane Athletics, then I would like to see THAT in their advertising, both radio and print. I hear it some but not as much as I would like.
That's not unreasonable. Turv you may have done it already but you might want to drop the station manager a note exactly how you worded it above. Can't hurt.
JTLiuzza
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:It's the year 2011.

Internet > AM Radio
True for sure. But the media contract Tulane has disallows free streaming (I believe I'm correct on that). So folks who are not local have to pay for the broadcast. The free radio broadcast is for us locals.
RWR
Swell

We need to be on 870. I know people will whine about being 2nd fiddle to lsu but we would be on the best station around. There often aren't conflicts and wwl has a secondary station that is just as good as wist.
IM42lane
Swell

This was tried in the past, and it only resulted in WWL giving spotty coverage to Tulane sports. The Saints and LSU were always the primary deal on WWL. Tulane got coverage only after the Saints and LSU got their alloted tiime. If there was no more time left for the Wave, then too bad.

WDSU radio used to be the Tulane station many, many years ago.

WWL is not the answer. Something else must be tried.

RWR wrote:We need to be on 870. I know people will whine about being 2nd fiddle to lsu but we would be on the best station around. There often aren't conflicts and WWL has a secondary station that is just as good as WIST.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
RWR
Swell

WWL is the primary sports station. Currently we get no coverage. Some is better than none. We're cutting off our nose to spite our face by not being on there. As was mentioned above we get laughed at on our current station that is supposed to be our home. WWL or bust.