Original Slatten Post-Required Reading for 12/4

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

I decided to put this up, as a sticky, so all can read and realize what has/is transpiring:
It's up for reading only to see that most of what was promised, evidently cannot be delivered.

===========================================================================================
The list of names seriously interested in the football position is a who's who of top name people. Former successful BCS coaches, top name BCS coordinators and top NFL assistants. Dont listen to the Deshaziers and Nunez's of the world; they are clueless. And believe me, money will not be an issue, for either the head coach, assistants or recruiting budgets. The next head coach will be someone who wants to be here, had had proven success at the top levels of football and will be committed to being here. These coaches are interested because they believe in The Playbook and the renewed investment in athletics. The phone and emails at the Wilson Center have been going non-stop with interest. Before asking for the AD's head, lets see what kind of hire he makes now that he finally has the resources to go after the best and bightest. Lets quit shortchanging ourselves with the "why would coach so and so wanna come here?". Trust me, they want this job.

The Big 12 talk is real folks. Once again, lets quit shortchanging ourselves with the "why would the Big 12 want us?" mentality.
We are solidly in play here, and most of it is due to the incessant hard work on the man whose head you want on a platter, Rick Dickson. Let it play out folks but if we do get into the Big 12, you can thank Rick Dickson. This is a very difficult position for Rick because we are in CUSA, CUSA has the planned football only merger with the MWC and there are other politically sensitive issues we have to deal with. But we are putting our best foot forward and putting ourselves in position to succeed for the foreseeable future.

Fundraising is well on its way towards a new on-campus football stadium and whether you like him or not, this is Ricks idea and baby and if we do finally see the plans come to fruition, you can thank him for it. And we are getting very close on this.

And this crap spewed by many on here and in the local media regarding our difficult admission standards is just that: crap! This is an excuse made by coaches who can not and do not put the time and effort into recruiting. These coaches are given a lot of exceptions every year to get in marginally qualified kids. Our biggest problem has been in keeping these marginally qualified kids in school. And that is changing too with additional resources being devoted to academic services and tutors and a serious effort into adding more athletic friendly courses and majors, i.e., sports management, etc.

In closing ladies and gentlemen, we are on the precipice of something that many of us could only have dreamed of in September 2005. Top-name football coach, BCS conference affiliation, on-campus football stadium and academic support sevices to truly allow us to recruit and keep the top talent. Do not be afraid to dream big and think positively about our program. Do not let the naysayers convince you that the powers that be are not doing everything they can to turn this program aound. And please quit living in the past and all the past failures and mistakes of prior and present administrations.

You can rip me for this post, call me an apologoist for Cowen and Dickson, or whatever other vile pittle you wanna throw out there. I'm a big boy and can handle whatever you wanna dish out. I know mistakes have been made; and i've made quit a few myself in both my personal and professional life; but you move on. And thats what we all need to do; move forward and embrace all the good that is getting ready to happen to this program. Things are looking up folks, they really are!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"