Coach Conroy

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Was just on the Sports Hangover - They wanted to talk to him BECAUSE his team is successful.
So, just win and people start to pay attention!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
timlan2057
Ripple

Here's to Coach Conroy and Tulane basketball.

I look forward to my first game in Fogelman next month.
LSUA Student, LSU Fan, , and Proud Tulane Band Parent
tkrueman
Ripple

The Times Pic has a great story about Coach Conroy in the Monday paper. Go to NOLA.com to read . 8-)
JTLiuzza
Swell

The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RWR
Swell

Take 5 minutes and watch his two latest videos on the official site. He's always reaching out to the fans.
Pepper
Swell

good stuff. There's a guy that needs a new gym. How do you see that gym to a recruit?
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
IM42lane
Swell

Pep, He probably needs a NEW ARENA (about the size of Lakefront).
Pepper wrote:good stuff. There's a guy that needs a new gym. How do you see that gym to a recruit?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Bigschtick
Riptide

yup, Fogelman is dated and an embarrassment. We need a new gym probably more than an on campus stadium although I would like to see both. Likelihood of this happening in most of our lifetimes: nil.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
RWR
Swell

msdos
Swell

That video was posted on June 12. I passed by on Wednesday and there's way more completed on it. I really do think it could be ready for this season.
Bigschtick
Riptide

God forbid Toledo should lift a finger to support his program! He has never gone out there like Coach Conroy to promote. Guess he thinks he is too important to bother with trying to generate excitement for Tulane football. What better way to get the incoming students interested by showing up at freshman orientation.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
torbida
Surge

Tulane basketball wins tournament beating San Diego. Bet Dickson in his bizzaro world is quite upset. Fun to listen to basketball -they win.
shorebreak
Ripple

Small time lurker, first post - I wanted to pick the most nonsensical, inane thread to start out, this one is beyond perfect.

Hire Mike, ASAFP.
torbida
Surge

innane? I was being sarcastic towards the worst AD in Tulane athletic history.Your hire Mike Leach post I second!!!!!
shorebreak
Ripple

Trust me, this thread sucks. I will probably start an equally suck thread at some point so feel free to let me know then. 8-)

One thing is for sure - it is better to have a few shitshow threads and differing opinions than what I've seen at the yogwf board. I don't get the goose step mentality there, since the company line is a proven failure. It is time to win, now.

Cheers, llbtr
JerseyWave
Riptide

Still waiting for a quality win. Hard to do with this pathetic schedule.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I hope he is in the Superdome this weekend taking notes on how a Big Time basketball program operates. I am convinced he has remained in The Citadel frame of mind ever since Tricky Rick hired him.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:I hope he is in the Superdome this weekend taking notes on how a Big Time basketball program operates. I am convinced he has remained in The Citadel frame of mind ever since Tricky Rick hired him.
Actually he and the entire team was introduced on the court last night as the final four host school.
http://www.pageturnpro.com/Progress-Pri ... x.html#/20
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JDTulane
Riptide

Good little recruiting tool. A better one would be the ability to say "we played in the final 4" not "we were on court at halftime". But I won't knock a good thing more than that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He's doing the pre game show for TV now.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jmjclu
High Tide

he coached at The Citadel for four years and had one winning season . It was his 3rd season when he used the jr's and sr's of the previous coach.
He has not recruited well at Tulane. Will he again schedule this coming season like he did the past 2?
One of his "outstanding recruits" was planning to attend a Div 3 school before Conroy gave him a scholarship.
He was the 4th or 5th coach offered by Dickson.
Can anyone add any other pertinent information?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

jmjclu wrote:he coached at The Citadel for four years and had one winning season . It was his 3rd season when he used the jr's and sr's of the previous coach.
He has not recruited well at Tulane. Will he again schedule this coming season like he did the past 2?
One of his "outstanding recruits" was planning to attend a Div 3 school before Conroy gave him a scholarship.
He was the 4th or 5th coach offered by Dickson.
Can anyone add any other pertinent information?
Yes.

Everything Cowen and Dickson have done have been massive failures and the alumni allow Cowen to profit and proclaim himself to be some kind of hero while he's destroyed the university, perhaps beyond repair.

I'd say that's the pertinent information. Whether it's engineering or Newcomb or the US News rankings or the basketball coach, it's all the exact same story.
HalcyonDays
Ripple

Coach Conroy came to Tulane from the Citadel, his alma mater. He did not have consistent success there, but he did win 20 games in his third season and his team had a .500 record the following season. That level of winning is exceedingly rare at the Citadel.

The notion that Coach Conroy has not recruited well at Tulane is absurd. Last season, Ricky Tarrant was selected first team Conference USA and of course was voted the freshman of the year in the conference. Before he was injured, Tomas Bruha was one of the most promising big men Tulane has had in years. Conroy also recruited Josh Davis to transfer to Tulane from North Carolina State. Davis had several double double games and several more near double double games for the Wave in his first season at Tulane. If all goes well on the medical front, Tulane will have a line-up containing Tarrant and Timmons, two first-team conference players, as well as Davis and Bruha, next season. In my opinion, the future of Tulane basketball is very bright.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

HalcyonDays wrote:Before he was injured, Tomas Bruha was one of the most promising big men Tulane has had in years.
Bruha was damaged goods when he got here. His advantage is that he's tall, not that he's a great player. But, will he ever play regularly? I'm gonna say probably not.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
JerseyWave
Riptide

This past year Coach Conroy brought in six freshman. Only one of the six( Tarrant) was impressive. Drye and Hook are projects. The other three should be playing intramural basketball. He sign a JUCO seven footer with a bad knee and he signed an Ivy League grad student who missed his senior year due to injury. One out of eight signees contributed consistently. This recruiting is a disaster!