Take a Deep Breath

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
elcantro
Ripple

We all need to take a deep breath. RR was not what this program needed right now. It's pretty obvious he was lining up his next job before he even accepted the Tulane job. How long do you think he would have stayed here? We need someone that will be committed to stay at least 4-5 years. That coach might not be the splash we all want, but so be it. We need to get the right hire. We need a coach that will build a program not a coach looking to move on in two years (like tommy boy) after he wins with somebody else's talent. I know this process is painful and this is probably Tulane's most critical hire since Jim Pittman, but let's not panic. We do not know who is next in line. Leach? Haywood? Whoever it is we need to keep an open mind. What we do know is Tulane is apparently re-emphasizing Football and appears to be making all the right moves. If you want to jump off because RR took the AZ job, goodbye and good riddance. Go follow USL or UNO. have a good time in the Sunbelt or Division II.

wave to em
Surge

elcantro wrote:We all need to take a deep breath. RR was not what this program needed right now. It's pretty obvious he was lining up his next job before he even accepted the Tulane job. How long do you think he would have stayed here? We need someone that will be committed to stay at least 4-5 years. That coach might not be the splash we all want, but so be it. We need to get the right hire. We need a coach that will build a program not a coach looking to move on in two years (like tommy boy) after he wins with somebody else's talent. I know this process is painful and this is probably Tulane's most critical hire since Jim Pittman, but let's not panic. We do not know who is next in line. Leach? Haywood? Whoever it is we need to keep an open mind. What we do know is Tulane is apparently re-emphasizing Football and appears to be making all the right moves. If you want to jump off because RR took the AZ job, goodbye and good riddance. Go follow USL or UNO. have a good time in the Sunbelt or Division II.
great 1st post, there are probably ALOT of people that agree with you..............on the yogwf board!
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
ExileWave
Surge

elcantro wrote:We all need to take a deep breath. RR was not what this program needed right now. It's pretty obvious he was lining up his next job before he even accepted the Tulane job. How long do you think he would have stayed here? We need someone that will be committed to stay at least 4-5 years. That coach might not be the splash we all want, but so be it. We need to get the right hire. We need a coach that will build a program not a coach looking to move on in two years (like tommy boy) after he wins with somebody else's talent. I know this process is painful and this is probably Tulane's most critical hire since Jim Pittman, but let's not panic. We do not know who is next in line. Leach? Haywood? Whoever it is we need to keep an open mind. What we do know is Tulane is apparently re-emphasizing Football and appears to be making all the right moves. If you want to jump off because RR took the AZ job, goodbye and good riddance. Go follow USL or UNO. have a good time in the Sunbelt or Division II.
You mean someone like Scelfo and Toledo- we were their dream retirement jobs- would have stayed forever. :evil: Just what we need....this program is past life support- it doesn't have 5 years as it is now.
OUG
Riptide

I'm a Tulane fan. Not a Rich Rodriguez fan. If Tulane didn't want Rich Rodriguez and didn't put together a serious offer, I'd be pissed at Tulane.

But if Tulane made a great offer and RR doesn't want to be a part of Tulane and would rather coach a big state school somewhere in the Pac 12?

C'est la vie. 'I'm not going to pout over it.

On to the next one. And no, I'm not a kool-aid drinker. If I believed we low-balled him I'd be up in their grill about it. But the nonsense I'm seeing on this board and the other tonight is just pouting and whining that the girl we asked to prom wanted to go with the better looking and more popular guy instead. **** her. **** RR. On to the next one.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:I'm a Tulane fan. Not a Rich Rodriguez fan. If Tulane didn't want Rich Rodriguez and didn't put together a serious offer, I'd be pissed at Tulane.

But if Tulane made a great offer and RR doesn't want to be a part of Tulane and would rather coach a big state school somewhere in the Pac 12?

C'est la vie. 'I'm not going to pout over it.

On to the next one. And no, I'm not a kool-aid drinker. If I believed we low-balled him I'd be up in their grill about it. But the nonsense I'm seeing on this board and the other tonight is just pouting and whining that the girl we asked to prom wanted to go with the better looking and more popular guy instead. **** her. **** RR. On to the next one.
It's gone from disappointment to fear now for me...... RR you pretty much know what to expect. Same with ML. Pass those two it's potluck IMO. That's why most are concerned. I'm waiting to see. I'm done with why or why not RR didn't land here. Time to move forward and hope for the best.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
torbida
Surge

my fear is now they go and get an ivy league or Toledo like hire and it finishes Tulane football.I think the RR,ML,and stadium talk was all bs and Beavis dickson and scotthead will claim they really tried and as far as telling people who are upset to go follow ull or uno,ull made a good hire and are going bowling and will be set up to win even if their coach leaves (good recruiting year,increase in fans) the two twits don't want to win-we are who we are................... :twisted:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Yeah, goodbye and good riddance. Tulane could really use a few less fans. :roll:
superwavefan
High Tide

I've been told by Wilson Center Staff (there I'm divulging a source, for real) that Rick Dickson is fully aware of the importance of this hire. Scott Cowen is fully aware of the importance of this hire. They are operating under a "it's now our never" attitude on hiring the right person to get us to where we all want Tulane to be.

If we don't get a good coach it's NOT for a lack of flexibility on their part on any of the issues that may have been problems in the past.

They were offered RR a generous package for his salary, assistants, and academic concessions, so now you think they aren't gonna offer that to the next guy?

If these other random names are being spouted off by Tammy, etc. I think that is more of being thorough with the search firm than RD actually went and did a face to face (that is mho about the random names being mentioned).
baldboy
Low Tide

superwavefan wrote:I've been told by Wilson Center Staff (there I'm divulging a source, for real) that Rick Dickson is fully aware of the importance of this hire. Scott Cowen is fully aware of the importance of this hire. They are operating under a "it's now our never" attitude on hiring the right person to get us to where we all want Tulane to be.

If we don't get a good coach it's NOT for a lack of flexibility on their part on any of the issues that may have been problems in the past.

They were offered RR a generous package for his salary, assistants, and academic concessions, so now you think they aren't gonna offer that to the next guy?

If these other random names are being spouted off by Tammy, etc. I think that is more of being thorough with the search firm than RD actually went and did a face to face (that is mho about the random names being mentioned).
So Superwavefan, be a super swell fellow greenie and tell us, who are the other REAL names? Come on I think you know and this fanbase needs some unconditional positive regard right about now. The part about "if we don't get a good coach" stuff really has me worried if you are truly thinking that...............
Fred Dowler
Riptide

That is so right.

Bowden's teams that won games were largely not groups that he himself recruited.

He was ever so shrewd.

The teams he coached won games right away and then he was gone just like that.

He played Tulane, Harbaugh played Tulane, Rodriguez, Bowden's main assistant (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree), was playing Tulane.

People may disagree but it does matter more than a little whether someone will at least consider and be open to staying for a little while through a good stretch, which Bowden and Mack Brown obviously were never going to do and most likely Harbaugh and Rich Rodriguez as well.

Somehow, if there is to be a real future for Div. 1 football at Tulane they have to be able to find some way to get some winning coaching regime to stick through more just a season or two that's above .500.

If that never happens and especially now when they're supposedly more willing than ever to offer the salary then the stamp of "small time" on Tulane will be permanent and Tulane's days of being able to stay in Div. 1 will be down to a handful as there will be no market for the product.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
JTLiuzza
Swell

superwavefan wrote:I've been told by Wilson Center Staff (there I'm divulging a source, for real) that Rick Dickson is fully aware of the importance of this hire. Scott Cowen is fully aware of the importance of this hire. They are operating under a "it's now our never" attitude on hiring the right person to get us to where we all want Tulane to be.

With all respect what do you expect the Wilson Center staff to tell you about Scott Cowen and Rick Dickson? Testimonials about how great they're doing, particularly those coming from their staff, don't mean anything. That's the kind of fodder for the yogwf bizarro world. What matters is the coach they hire and the support they give him to win. And we'll all see how that plays out shortly.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
TURVS71
Swell

Well speaking for ME, I am disappointed in ME for falling for this "splash, excitement, you'll be very pleased and surprised at who we will hire, we will prove the Open Letter wrong" BS. I fell for it and should have known better. All of us were just waiting to hear what the Administration said and I let this go to my head thinking that it would be reality. I just feel that the "we need to support the new coach, whomever he is" mandate IS NOT GOING TO WORK THIS TIME. Other than Rodriguez (gone) or Leach (who knows) hires, people will stay away from the games until and IF winning occurs. That is just the way it is going to be.

I am just not going to commit any more of my resources UNTIL I see SIGNIFICANT ATHLETIC PROGRESS. The hiring of a Rodriguez or a Leach would/would have resulted in me increasing season tickets and making a significant monetary contribution in the name of my late son and wife. I spoke with Travis Goff of Tulane at the Hertz Center dedication and told him this specifically. He assured me that we, the fans would be quite happy with the upcoming hire. I said, "we'll see." So, either Rodriguez backed out or the athletic department staff were led to believe something different . Don't know. Will never know.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Highwave
Low Tide

No one with real inside information regarding "the list" will disclose it on here, if for no other reason because they will cease to have insider information. Thats why the rampant "sourcing" on the message boards and in the media is hysterical.

Tulane will announce a new coach soon enough. In the meantime, don't believe everything you read.
Wavetime
Swell

RR was exactly what we need! Don't try and blow smoke up my ass! I am pissed. It takes a lot for me to get angry, but don't sugar coat this. RR is the perfect fit and for whatever reason we failed.

Let's see whats in their bag of tricks now that the obvious and best choice passed on us.

I don't need feel good crap, we lost.....I am tired of moral victories while our competitors bash in our heads for 73 points.....this sucks and we need to fix it. The best hope just used us,,,,,,why? We had better figure it out soon and correct it.
OUG
Riptide

Wavetime wrote:RR was exactly what we need! Don't try and blow smoke up my ass! I am pissed. It takes a lot for me to get angry, but don't sugar coat this. RR is the perfect fit and for whatever reason we failed.

Let's see whats in their bag of tricks now that the obvious and best choice passed on us.

I don't need feel good crap, we lost.....I am tired of moral victories while our competitors bash in our heads for 73 points.....this sucks and we need to fix it. The best hope just used us,,,,,,why? We had better figure it out soon and correct it.
You know that Big 12 thing we're excited about? The thing we believe would totally revolutionize our program? The thing we were hoping might help us lure RR?

Arizona is in the conference that Texas and Oklahoma wanted to leave the Big 12 for.

That's all there really is to it. There's no need to naval gaze on this one or self-flagelate.

We should have always known this was a possibility. At the end of the day, he didn't say no to us, he said yes to them. Its that simple.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wavetime wrote:RR was exactly what we need! Don't try and blow smoke up my ass! I am pissed. It takes a lot for me to get angry, but don't sugar coat this. RR is the perfect fit and for whatever reason we failed.

Simple answer: 1998. Payback.

And there is no way to sugarcoat this. I'm absolutely convinced there is no way we get Leach either. Unfortunately, until the really big guns like Glazer, Scott Slatten and others start pulling THEIR financial support from the University until this mess is fixed, it won't be fixed. Simple as that. And all those guys enjoy their insider perks to much to do that. Let Glazer call SC tonight and say he wants to see ML announced as head coach by 6pm Tuesday or he's pulling his $5M stadium pledge, AND going public with the reason why, and we'll have our coach tomorrow. But it'll never happen.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wavetime
Swell

Elcantro, I meant no disrespect to you when I vented. I owe you a beer at the game of your choice.
wave to em
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:

And there is no way to sugarcoat this. I'm absolutely convinced there is no way we get Leach either. Unfortunately, until the really big guns like Glazer, Scott Slatten and others start pulling THEIR financial support from the University until this mess is fixed, it won't be fixed. Simple as that. And all those guys enjoy their insider perks to much to do that. Let Glazer call SC tonight and say he wants to see ML announced as head coach by 6pm Tuesday or he's pulling his $5M stadium pledge, AND going public with the reason why, and we'll have our coach tomorrow. But it'll never happen.
I agree, guys like that need to step up. Otherwise they are pulling a mike McQueary (too soon?) and just watching it happen and not do anything about it.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave to em wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

I agree, guys like that need to step up. Otherwise they are pulling a mike McQueary (too soon?) and just watching it happen and not do anything about it.
And you wonder why they don't? I surely wouldn't throw my hard earned money away on incompetence like this.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson