Tammy says that we offered job to Bowden who turned us down.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenphantom
Swell

kookingkajun wrote:if all of this is to b true. Then why wait until the Monday after Thanksgiving? Announce it the moment it's a done deal and get the train moving.
I wouldn't put any credence in that.

RobertM320
Green Wave

kookingkajun wrote:if all of this is to b true. Then why wait until the Monday after Thanksgiving? Announce it the moment it's a done deal and get the train moving.
The Saints play on Monday Night Football at home that night against Eli Manning and the NYGiants. Good or Bad? Local people would be too focused on the game, but then again, the NY Sports Media would be in town.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:
The Saints play on Monday Night Football at home that night against Eli Manning and the NYGiants. Good or Bad? Local people would be too focused on the game, but then again, the NY Sports Media would be in town.
Rich Rodriguez is a big story in college football at any time. He'd win games and that's the only thing that matters.
nacho24
Trickle

i'm dying for this rich rod business to come to fruition.... i got to the u in 2001 and all i ever heard from the older teammates was how rich rod should have gotten the job. if he takes over we are instant contenders in whatever conference we are stuck in. great days ahead if true...
OGSB
Swell

nacho24 wrote:.... i got to the u in 2001 and all i ever heard from the older teammates was how rich rod should have gotten the job....
It's well past time to correct that wong.
Livin' rent free
Fred Dowler
Riptide

1ndabag wrote:
FrankMc01 wrote:Bowden provided some sort of laundry list of suggestions and ideas- and in the context of the discussion was asked if Tulane could deliver those agenda items, would he coach the team?

Obviously, it is hard to provide said context- but the sense apparently was “we don’t know if we can do these things” right now, but if we could, would you entertain a return? Bowden said “no”.
Bowden puts forth a laundry list as a prerequisite. If he were told an unequivocal 'yes' to his conditions (presumably reasonable conditions necessary to win), then what's the problem?

An equivocal 'yes,' i.e. "we don't know if we can do all these things but, if we could..." tells him all he needs to know. In other words, "call me when you're really serious."

We're going to get the same thing out of any name coach like a Leach or Rodriguez. These guys are not going to come here to embarrass themselves. Before guys of that caliber even think about it they are going to have a similar laundry list. In other words, "The only way I come is if you let me win and here's what I require to win, will you deliver?" If all they get in response is, "we're not sure," it will be no deal.

That's ultimately where the rubber hits the road in this whole deal. Is Tulane finally committed to winning? Seems like Tommy put that all important question to the test and Tulane came up short.

Without the commitment, real commitment not just lip service and glossy brochures, we're back to retreads or "up and coming" assistants where we take a crap shoot.
Yes, indeed.

This is probably exactly what's going on.

If people are thinking "they're going to hire The Coach That The Fans Want (but keep everything else the same)...and therefore the magic is bound to happen" they need to get real.

Just about ANY high-caliber football coach is bound to tell Tulane that they aren't about to come and possibly embarrass themselves if the school does not want to or cannot deliver the goods in terms of improving practice facilities, improving recruiting budgets, having the necessary academics structure/majors programs (still the KEY issue), granting overall control of the program and so on.

They could offer just about any salary, hire almost anyone to coach, but if that coach still has their hands essentially tied (because even though they are allowed to recruit SOME -- an arbitrary number and hardly necessarily as many as they might need -- athletes as exceptions to Tulane's usual admissions criteria the real issue is how well these athletes make academic progress once they are on campus..and if a coach recruits players who don't make the academic progress to stay on schedule to graduate and graduate...then no doubt there will be a backlash...and things will be tightened up) then the program is still likely to have difficulties building up the breadth and depth of talent on the roster and likely to struggle and not likely to be able to win consistently and against solid opposition.

All of these potential next Tulane football coaches are no doubt pushing Tulane hard and to make a solid commitment demonstrating that somehow now they really are serious about wanting to win and not just trying to sound nice in their public statements while behind the scenes not looking to change that much and testing the Tulane people to see how sincere their talk is.

Also, no doubt everyone is waiting to see which openings will exist by the end of the season, in 2-3 weeks or so, and what will be offered and so on.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
superwavefan
High Tide

I swear I never thought that the TP would actually PRINT Tammy's bit about Bowden AND above the fold.

Every other article is this tiny box buried and this rumor piece is given special attention and now in print for the whole city to see.

Y'all better say something too: [email protected]
Show Me
Tsunami

Sad thing because Tammy and the rest of the media is out in left field on the search and they are pi$$ed about that. Even if that were true it should not have been printed until after the hiring. It just makes Tulane look bad IMO and serves no real purpose other than to discredit the actual guy we finally hire. It came from a "source" not Dickson's mouth, so its a rumor in my book that only hurts Tulane.
I'm extremely disappointed and won't believe anything else she reports on this subect and perhaps future subjects..
Shame on you Tammy.
sader24
Tsunami

She's never actually done any real reporting, she just writes what she's fed, she doesnt actually look into whether or not the person feeding it to her is a jacka##. She's at a disadvantage here not having any long standing connections in or around New Orleans or Tulane University. The fact is the TP is doing a huge disservice to this search by not having a long time New Orleans reporter breaking any and actual news on the situation. Just shows how 2nd rate they think we are. My guess is if Rodriguez is hired, we'll start seeing alot better/more reporting on Tulane Athletics, specifically football. Right now they think we are a joke and it shows.
RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:She's never actually done any real reporting, she just writes what she's fed, she doesnt actually look into whether or not the person feeding it to her is a jacka##. She's at a disadvantage here not having any long standing connections in or around New Orleans or Tulane University. The fact is the TP is doing a huge disservice to this search by not having a long time New Orleans reporter breaking any and actual news on the situation. Just shows how 2nd rate they think we are. My guess is if Rodriguez is hired, we'll start seeing alot better/more reporting on Tulane Athletics, specifically football. Right now they think we are a joke and it shows.
This is also where we get hurt by the lack of a second paper in town (dying media), and our own disassociation with WWL. Lots of people say that our worst decision was leaving the SEC in 1966. No one foresaw what college football would become. But our choosing to not be broadcast on WWL radio because LSU got the priority times was a huge mistake as well.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DrBox
Riptide

Re the Stanford Coach, Western Ky has a coach off of Harbaugh's Stanford staff and he's done a fine job with them.
Jonathan
Riptide

Tammy is an idiot. RD would never offer a position to a coach unless he would accept. Tammy seriously hurt our coaching search.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Jonathan wrote:Tammy is an idiot. RD would never offer a position to a coach unless he would accept. Tammy seriously hurt our coaching search.
I don't agree with everything you post but I do agree with this one except in degree. I don't think she "seriously" hurt the search but you are essentially right on all three points.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Bigschtick
Riptide

If we are able to land RR, I hope all here realize the need for us to open the purse strings, something most of us have been hesitant to do under the mismanagement of Toledo and the AD! Frank, good to have your here!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320...U can blame Tulane not being on WWL on Mack Brown...Tulane had an agreement that it would pay "up front" for the broadcast time and any revenue generated from ad's would be Tulane's to pay these fees...Mack, thinking that Mike Archer was in trouble and may be considered as the next LSU coach allowed the agreement to lapse..you have to remember at that time Mack was HC and AD..at no time during this agreement was Tulane not on the air when LSU played at the same time...LSU was off the air !!!! prior to this LSU and Tulane shared WWL, but LSU was the priority broadcast if playing times conflicted
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

Tulane was on WWL through the Bowden era.
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:RobertM320...U can blame Tulane not being on WWL on Mack Brown...Tulane had an agreement that it would pay "up front" for the broadcast time and any revenue generated from ad's would be Tulane's to pay these fees...Mack, thinking that Mike Archer was in trouble and may be considered as the next LSU coach allowed the agreement to lapse..you have to remember at that time Mack was HC and AD..at no time during this agreement was Tulane not on the air when LSU played at the same time...LSU was off the air !!!! prior to this LSU and Tulane shared WWL, but LSU was the priority broadcast if playing times conflicted
golfnut, that's exactly what I said. We allowed the agreement to lapse. Tulane would end up on 1350AM when our game conflicted with LSU's. If I remember correctly, we had priority if it was a day game, and LSU would get moved to 1350, LSU had priority at night. And that really hurt not having the clear channel broadcast at night.