Basketball Season Starts Tonight

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Robert1969
Riptide

1ndabag wrote:
So if NAIA Loyola with, I believe, no scholarships didn't out athlete us, which they shouldn't have, they must have out coached us. Gotta be one or the other.
Loyola basketball has three scholarships. Probably don't give three full scholarships away. They probably split the three up among several players.

You have a good point but if you look at statistics the key may be neither coaching or athleticism: Tulane was something like 15 for 29 on free throws. If Tulane was just a pedestrian 69% from the line, it is a seven point win. Tulane was just five of 18 for three pointers. If they were just 39% from outside to go with decent FT shooting, suddenly it is a 13 point win. Now that wouldn't be spectacular but a game like this that doesn't count where the only team with anything to "win" from it is your opponent it's kind of hard to get up for it. If Tulane wins by 30, it would still be meaningless. Where if Loyola just keeps it close, as an NAIA school, they get a huge emotional lift from it.

This result could well be a matter of not being focused for a meaningless game against an opponent that you could well be excused for taking lightly.

Now. I will remind everyone of what I said before on a few occasions: Loyola is my alma mater, so I was a bit split on this. On one hand I was hoping Tulane would put in a stellar performance that would foreshadow an excellent season to come, and on the other hand I was tickled that our itty bitty NAIA school kept this game so close.

The Alabama A&M game will be much more relevant to measuring the quality of this team.

JDTulane
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Conroy has done nothing to upgrade the talent. His recruiting is no better than Toledo's and he better not be getting any contract extensions until he gets Tulane into a post season tournament!

No talent upgrade? A big fat LOL to that. I saw huge talent differences in some key players today vs last game. The issue was cohesion, not talent.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:
1ndabag wrote:
So if NAIA Loyola with, I believe, no scholarships didn't out athlete us, which they shouldn't have, they must have out coached us. Gotta be one or the other.
Loyola basketball has three scholarships. Probably don't give three full scholarships away. They probably split the three up among several players.

You have a good point but if you look at statistics the key may be neither coaching or athleticism: Tulane was something like 15 for 29 on free throws. If Tulane was just a pedestrian 69% from the line, it is a seven point win. Tulane was just five of 18 for three pointers. If they were just 39% from outside to go with decent FT shooting, suddenly it is a 13 point win. Now that wouldn't be spectacular but a game like this that doesn't count where the only team with anything to "win" from it is your opponent it's kind of hard to get up for it. If Tulane wins by 30, it would still be meaningless. Where if Loyola just keeps it close, as an NAIA school, they get a huge emotional lift from it.

This result could well be a matter of not being focused for a meaningless game against an opponent that you could well be excused for taking lightly.

Now. I will remind everyone of what I said before on a few occasions: Loyola is my alma mater, so I was a bit split on this. On one hand I was hoping Tulane would put in a stellar performance that would foreshadow an excellent season to come, and on the other hand I was tickled that our itty bitty NAIA school kept this game so close.

The Alabama A&M game will be much more relevant to measuring the quality of this team.
So basically what you're saying is that Tulane just wasn't motivated for a weak opponent and had a bad night. I hope you're right. As you say, we'll see going forward.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Check out the Box Score and the Play by Play.
Pretty dead even on the stats.
Tulane went to the FT line more but couldn't convert, that was the difference.
Check out the last few mins on the Play by Play.
http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... exh01.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
threeputt
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Like Steve said, Tarrant and Davis are our two best players.

Also remember that Kevin Thomas did not play much last night (less than five minutes). IMHO he is our best player. Looked like coach wanted to get the new guys some time and work on different rotations.

We are A LOT bigger than we have been in years past and that is nice to see. Was a little dissapointed to see how slow we were and also by the fact that it seemed nobody wanted to score the ball in the last seven minutes or so of the game. Couple that with the missed free throws and turnovers and you have what you got.

Not overly optimistic but I am willing to wait and see. Usually we beat Loyoa by 30 plus and can't win many conference games (not really sure if there is a correlation). Sometimes this kind of performance is a great teaching moment. Like was said earlier USM only beat this team by one point a few years ago and went on to win 20 games. I remember a couple of sweet sixteen GA Tech teams that could not beat a certain team in green a few years ago. So this is just one game, let's wait and see what happens..

Next Friday will tell us a little more about what we have.
Robert1969
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Check out the Box Score and the Play by Play.
Pretty dead even on the stats.
Tulane went to the FT line more but couldn't convert, that was the difference.
Check out the last few mins on the Play by Play.
http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... exh01.html
Also:

3-Pointers

Loyola 8-17
Tulane 5-18

There's nine points right there.
OGSB
Swell

How do you play a college exhibition? I mean, is it like the pros where the coach really couldn't care less what the score is he just wants to put his players in situations? Or do they coach it as a real game that just doesn't count?
Livin' rent free
tnelly15
Riptide

You guys forget about Timmons? I still think he's our best guy, averaged almost a double-double last year.
Mike V
Ripple

We brought in a lot of new people this year, but not one of them was highly recruited. Not a good sign. Hope I'm wrong, but I remember how Perry Clark upgraded our talent level almost immediately. This looks different so far.
Jonathan
Riptide

Win by two points to NAIA team What a joke Conroy is a RD loser
murphwave
High Tide

Tarrant appears to be a very solid player. Dabney signed for next year is also a solid pick up for us. If we don't bring in a strong recruiting class this year, I'll be concerned. It will all depend on how well we can do with this weaker schedule. Show improvement year over year in addition to new facilities makes it an attractive place to come for recruits.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Mike V wrote:We brought in a lot of new people this year, but not one of them was highly recruited. Not a good sign. Hope I'm wrong, but I remember how Perry Clark upgraded our talent level almost immediately. This looks different so far.
I was thinking the same thing watching the game last night about how many of these guys could start or even make Perry's squad.
No starters and only 3-4 would make that team IMO and that's about it.
Tulane Class of 1981
threeputt
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:I was thinking the same thing watching the game last night about how many of these guys could start or even make Perry's squad
That is really not a fair comparison. The Metro and the original CUSA were both top notch basketball conferences. There were not many better conferences in the country.

I am not defending this staff at all but to compare these first two classes to Perry's classes is not really fair ... Also Perry did something that may very well never be duplicated in the history of Tulane in any sport - To get 3 (or was it 4???) of the top 100 ranked players in the country on campus in one year ... To this day I am not sure how that happened (and Perry would say the same thing LOL)
threeputt
High Tide

Coach at the QB club today talking about the game last night
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

threeputt wrote: That is really not a fair comparison. The Metro and the original CUSA were both top notch basketball conferences. There were not many better conferences in the country.
Well what would you consider a fair comparison? To get to the NCAA and advance we need to get a few "Perry like" kids in the program. All top 25 programs do. We should be shooting to for that (Top 25) I know the conference is weaker but that didn't hurt Memphis, UH, and UAB from getting top kids. I'm willing to give coach some time to deliver on that. But I'm hopefull he'll get it done. Besides good coaching you still need talent to win.
Tulane Class of 1981
austxwave
High Tide

threeputt wrote:

Coach at the QB club today talking about the game last night

I was impressed and truly believe he will bring us success.
Jonathan
Riptide

I disagree with you. He will not bring us success as he like the last two basketball coaches cannot recruit quality athletes under the radar. Big win against Loyola.
JDTulane
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:I disagree with you. He will not bring us success as he like the last two basketball coaches cannot recruit quality athletes under the radar. Big win against Loyola.

It was an exhibition game. :roll: A few of the players that started/played significant amount of time were new and/or freshman. :roll:

Haters gonna hate.
sader24
Tsunami

Its way too early in the season to make any judgements about this team, especially with so many newcomers. I will say this, he has been way more engaging to the fans and students than Scelfo, Finney, Dickerson, and Toledo combined.
DrBox
Riptide

I like him a lot as a coach and for his PR and embracing the fans; but boy I hope he can step up the recruiting some.
JDTulane
Riptide

How can you make judgement off his recruits when you've seen them in one game?
austxwave
High Tide

Good lord! He has 11 new players and it was an exhibition. He's trying to see who can play under different circumstances. Loyola had already played a game, we hadn't. This game meant a lot to Loyola's players.

Can someone please talk Jonathan down from the ledge?
JDTulane
Riptide

austxwave wrote:Good lord! He has 11 new players and it was an exhibition. He's trying to see who can play under different circumstances. Loyola had already played a game, we hadn't. This game meant a lot to Loyola's players.

Can someone please talk Jonathan down from the ledge?
big fat +1
DrBox
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:How can you make judgement off his recruits when you've seen them in one game?
I'm not judging the recruits, but the recruiting. We aren't signing sufficient numbers of players desired by quality programs, which is the only way I know of to judge recruitING.
If a recruit is a "project" then he is a miss.
austxwave
High Tide

DrBox wrote:
JDTulane wrote:How can you make judgement off his recruits when you've seen them in one game?
I'm not judging the recruits, but the recruiting. We aren't signing sufficient numbers of players desired by quality programs, which is the only way I know of to judge recruitING.
If a recruit is a "project" then he is a miss.
We haven't exactly been a desirable school for recruits in the past 10 years. We finally have a coach who is good at coaching, not just recruiting. Eventually the recruits will come when the winning comes. You gotta give this regime a few more seasons.