Are you confident that TU will make the RIGHT coaching hire

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Are you confident that TU will make the RIGHT coaching hire?

Yes
4%
No
69%
Somewhat
27%

Total votes: 67
breaker
Ripple

TPS is right. Sandy was a great hirer/recruiter of coaches. Since Kevin had her run the searches for all but football and men's basketball when she was SWA, she was responsible for the hirings of Rick Jones, Lisa Stockton, Sue Bower, Robert Klein, Betsy Becker and David Schumacher, and she would have hired Rich Rod if it were her decision. Ever since, we have had two good hires, and in truth RD relied on Betsy in hiring Liz Kritza and on Sue in hiring JT Horton. I'm not going to say more about the current situation, but Sandy, even though she wasn't great at the PR game, was a great asset to Tulane and it's not a surprise that Cal has an outstanding athletic program under her leadership.

DrBox
Riptide

breaker wrote: Ever since, we have had two good hires, and in truth RD relied on Betsy in hiring Liz Kritza .
And when left to his own judgment, he has turned a top 15 RPI program into 2nd to last in C-USA that struggles to beat winless ECU and can't beat southland teams.
mturner46
Ripple

I agree with DrBox....Coach Rod was the perfect choice...whatever..Sandy Barbour or Cowen....they hurt our school....both of them...as an AD...if pressured by the Pres...resign right then and there...clear your name...

All I know...is that I haven't seen Coach Rod since the night after we beat BYU.,..I have spoke to him on the phone a couple of times...an exchanged emails with him. He sent me footballs, shirts, and cups when at WVU and UM while I was deployed on 3 different occassions.

He is the highest quality of person and mentor...coach and teacher...much different than portrayed in the media

Coach Rod was the source of success in '97 and '98.
DrBox
Riptide

Well mturner, I hope we hire him.
JDTulane
Riptide

somewhat but more 45 than 55
Ray
Surge

WOW ....we're all hoping for the best, but 80% of us think this hire will be a disappointment. No more hollering if that happens. ;)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NO
It's just potluck after RR & ML. Both of those guys will make demands of Tulane. The problem I see after those two is that Tulane will make demands on the tier 2 & 3 candidates and we'll be back looking for another tier 2 or 3 coach in 4-5 years.
Last edited by tpstulane on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ray
Surge

:lol: :lol: I know, I know ..... Hollering will be ferocious.
ExileWave
Surge

At this point NO. The cone of silence was in full lockdown at the Rice game alumni event- not even a "Don't worry, be happy." But I did not get the idea that anything earth shattering was about to be announced. RD was a no-show despite announcing he would be there. Guess he didn't want to be mauled :D . Something is not right about all of this- guess we just have to wait. My question is- given their history, why is THIS time different for RD/SC?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

No and sinking fast. To date, it appears that Cowen and Dickson were just played like fiddles by someone with an obvious motive to do so.

I really want to be wrong about RD because clearly a lot of people like him personally, but this is another failure.

If Mike Leach isn't offered the job.....wow.
JDTulane
Riptide

Still somewhat. I think they're doing their best... whether that is good enough....
Dave breslin
Swell

The question is will TU make a right coaching job. RD and Cowen could not run a snowball stand successfully. Their track record of creating an atmosphere of success is pathetic. The marketing of TU is almost non-existing. Try catching a radio broadcast outside ofNO. Watch the cable shows of every school but ours. Face it, these buttholes are losers. Thatswhy we are in the position we are in. I'm a past die-hard who would rather my son go play elsewhere. The leadership is poor at best
Show Me
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote:The question is will TU make a right coaching job. RD and Cowen could not run a snowball stand successfully. Their track record of creating an atmosphere of success is pathetic. The marketing of TU is almost non-existing. Try catching a radio broadcast outside ofNO. Watch the cable shows of every school but ours. Face it, these buttholes are losers. Thatswhy we are in the position we are in. I'm a past die-hard who would rather my son go play elsewhere. The leadership is poor at best
+1
Well put Dave.

Until they Show Me, I'm not buying into anything. Trying a decade later doesn't hold water at this point. I tell my boss I've been trying hard bring in new accounts, then he'll ask me if I did or not or how many. He couldn't give a damm about anything but results. I'll get fired if I don't deliver and I don't make 6 figures like these two do..
ajcalhoun
Swell

I hate to be so negative on my first post on this site but I answered "No" because SC and RD have done absolutely nothing in the last ten years that would inspire confidence that they will make the RIGHT coaching hire this time. Sorry.
God Bless Everyone!
RobertM320
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:I hate to be so negative on my first post on this site but I answered "No" because SC and RD have done absolutely nothing in the last ten years that would inspire confidence that they will make the RIGHT coaching hire this time. Sorry.
Welcome, ajc. And as you can see, you're not alone with that sentiment.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
torbida
Surge

I really tried to give rickdicky the benefit of a doubt but his sorriness and ignorance .He's the worst ever so hell no he won't make a good choice bring back the fat one to finish Cowen's fantasy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
baldboy wrote:Word is that ML has been offered but no response yet........ Not sure what to think!!!! If true and he does not take it then RR definately a no go in my opinion. Then what?
We should wait. ML and RR are in the cat-bird seat and will probably want to see what opens once the season finishes. If I'm Tulane I get my list in order and if ML or RR don't accept after the Hawaii game then go down the list. Arz and Ole Miss jobs will probably interest those two.
I posted the above Nov 6th. RR takes Az. Now is it Leach or do we get our guy from our tier 2 list?
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

This is what I posted a couple of weeks ago under the thread Would you take this job?:

"Would you if you valued your career? IMHO there is no way we end up with anything more than an up and comer who will take it for the $1 million salary and really has no other schools interested. He will then be set for life financially and can go back to beng an obscure asst somewhere. Look for a MAC coach or one of the Wilson/Burns/Washington trio. Haywood maybe because his career prospects are dead.

If Leach or RR take this job I will streak down Canal street at High noon on Mardi Gras day."
ExileWave
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:This is what I posted a couple of weeks ago under the thread Would you take this job?:

"Would you if you valued your career? IMHO there is no way we end up with anything more than an up and comer who will take it for the $1 million salary and really has no other schools interested. He will then be set for life financially and can go back to beng an obscure asst somewhere. Look for a MAC coach or one of the Wilson/Burns/Washington trio. Haywood maybe because his career prospects are dead.

If Leach or RR take this job I will streak down Canal street at High noon on Mardi Gras day."
That is not a pretty picture, Jax, but I hope you get to do it. Like you, I am not confident. But RD isn't worried- he's chilling with a Mai Tai in Hawaii working on his winter tan.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ExileWave...streaking naked on Canal street on Mardi Gras...isn't that normal ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:ExileWave...streaking naked on Canal street on Mardi Gras...isn't that normal ?
I've done it before and much to my chagrin, noone noticed. A policeman who saw me said, "No big deal. Small time operation. Little use for you, kid." Pretty humiliating.
Show Me
Tsunami

NO :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jaxwave
Swell

2 out of 63 votes say yes. I believe that is utter failure.
wave to em
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:2 out of 63 votes say yes. I believe that is utter failure.
i was one of the "yes" votes, and i hear-by withdraw my vote, i would like to change my answer to NO....... so its 1 out of 63 votes that say yes
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
Show Me
Tsunami

Great Post on the Andre Anderson board, I grabbed it before (Jts) Just Talking Shit deletes it............
Bham Wave wrote:This coaching search mirrors the Tulane football program

Program:

Hope springs eternal in Feb and March as we sign a recruiting class of new players who will change the program. Spring practice follows and we hear about the improvement in the team and the improved strength and speed.

Search:

Toledo is fired and we are all excited about the potential list of coaching "recruits". We hear how tulane has made a bunch of changes and will improve the program through better funding and resources. The program is getting stronger and improving on all fronts.

Program:

Summer workouts come around and we hear about how the guys are coming together and working hard. This group of players is going to turn things around. Preseason practice starts and we hear about a stud freshman or two and how this player or that player is ready to take it up a notch. A couple of stars begin to emerge. Leaders are identified. Everyone is happy and hopeful.

Search:

The search continues and we start to hear amazing things. Some stars emerge and things look positive. We have two leaders and both look great. Everyone is happy and excited about the future because we think these guys could turn things around.

Program:

Season starts and while the team shows some flashes the same problems from past seasons start to show up. The coaching and game planning left something to be desired and the guys we have heard about all preseason don't make the plays when it counts on game day. The team wins a few and loses a few doing just enough to keep the fans hopeful that things may still turn around but deep down the long standing fans have their doubts.

Search:

A lead candidate emerges and we think we have our man. We get close but can not close the deal. He leaves us for someone else. Everyone feels defeated. We thought this was the guy to change everything. Still we hold out some hope that the other lead dog may be the guy to turn things around. We still have shown some flashes that this might be the turning point. Things might be changing but deep down the long standing fans are starting to get worried.

Program:

Season stretches on and it becomes clear that this team is not much different than the prior years. We have deficiencies in coaching and talent that lead to more and more losses. The team seems deflated and the fans go back into their "sky is falling" mentality (can't really blame them). The two star recruits unfortunately are playing like two star recruits...not enough diamonds in the rough from prior recruiting classes to make plays against more talented opponents. Domesday scenarios abound and the Dome is empty. People just want the season to end.

Search:

Our second big name coach leaves us as well. It appears to be same old same old at Tulane. We hear that things are changing but the die hards want to see the changes not just hear about them. We now are hearing names in the coaching search that don't get the juices flowing.... The fans have the sky is falling mentality again and everyone is doom and gloom. It looks like we will have to get a "two star" coach and hope he is a diamond in the rough. People just want the search to end.

I guess we have to wait and see how this story ends. Whoever the university hires has a big job ahead and I hope they get the correct guy. Unfortunately for him he is going to start off with an upset fan base because his last name is not Rodriguez or Leach and that is not really going to be fair but I think Tulane fans can easily be won over with a positive attitude (see Coach Conroy) and some wins on Saturday.

I just think it is interesting how my emotions during this search have been similar the emotions I have following this football team year in and year out.