Ready, Fire, Aim...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Once again, our beloved Tulane University has shot itself in the foot. The "Victory" bell, was moved from its location in front of Fogleman. No notice to the Athletic Department! Some "yahoo" had it moved to a different location and did not inform anyone. Of course, the Administration representative that did this had no idea of its connection to the basketball team (of course not, they probably didn't even know it was basketball season.) How can a true fan NOT be upset. Just another example of the disconnect between the Administration and the Athletic Department. What a shame!! They infuriate me to no end.

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

Where did they move it?

When I was in school it was just across McAllister from the Freeman School, then they moved it to the front of Fogelman.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
torbida
Surge

how can it get any worse? Does Cowen or Dickson have any common sense in knowing that athletics can enhance Tulane's image? Does the idiot that moved the bell ever notice people in basketball uniforms ringing it? These loser/clowns should not be allowed to run a university and it's athletic program.Cowen is not one of the top college heads (no matter what Time magazine says).He is a bufoon and Dickson is ridiculous.Hopefully someone will lead a push to get replacements that will get Tulane's academic standing on the top level nationally and athletics at least respectable :twisted:
RWR
Swell

I agree that this is typical Tulane. One of two things must be done ASAP. 1) It appears the school created a spot for it to be put in to honor someone so it's going to end up there. For now they could compromise and put the bell back until we finish our season IN LATE MARCH. 2) Get a new bell ASAP,before the UTEP game, and keep the tradition going. This would be the best solution since several players have difficulty getting it to ring. At last two have been quoted as saying that if they are the one that coach picks out to ring it they defer to another player b/c they can't ring it. The point being is that when buying the victory bell make sure it rings easily. MORONS.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

From the athletic department:
The Victory Bell will be relocated back Fogelman Arena in time for Wednesday’s game, and will remain there until the end of the season.  We are looking at several alternatives for all our teams in regards to a Victory Bell going forward.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
TURVS71
Swell

Well what do you know! Perhaps someone IS listening!!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

Thanks bigsteve. These guys could screw up a free lunch. The bell was fine in front of Fogelman.

Is this all they have to worry about?

This is a school and athletic department that is on record as saying they won't judge on wins and losses, and whose W/L record is proof that they are serious about that. They walk around with their noses in the air as if they're superior to all of their counterparts at every other university in the country for doing it "the Tulane way." Perennial losing is for them some convoluted badge of honor.

And yet, they actually are worried about where to place the "Victory Bell?"

A more appropriate, and honest change would have been to leave it where it is and simply rename it the "Moral Victory Bell."
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RWR
Swell

Thanks for the good news. I had spoken up the game to several people who hadn't gone to a game in a long time. One of my selling points was the ringing of the VICTORY BELL. You could see their excitement over that. I was dreading them getting there and there being no bell.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We need to be sure to ring the bell like crazy on the day that Cowen announces his retirement. That will be the biggest victory day for Tulane in over a decade.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
sader24
Tsunami

I like how the statement leads us to believe that the school is actually going to spend time discussing locations for a Victory Bell. Talk about wasting time on stupidity. How hard is it to say, "The Victory Bell stays in front of Fogleman for good." That was quick. Next order of business, "Winning in football."