Open Letter to Scott Cowen & Rick Dickson

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
TURVS71
Swell

Ok everyone, here it is. It has been emailed to 13 media contacts.

If you can possibly find the time, call in to the talk shows and make sure people know about it!!!

WIST
Sports Hangover
Eric Asher
Kaare Johnson

WWL

And anyone else you can think of.

Also, post it and comment on wherever and whenever you can.

IT'S TIME!!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Ray
Surge

Thanks for your work Steve & all others involved. Beauteeeful!!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Everyone going to the game, print out as many copies of the Open Letter PDF as you can. Put them everywhere. Bring them to campus and post them all over. Bring them to the dome and leave them on cars, tailgating areas, bathroom stalls, seats, elevators, concession stands, everywhere, anywhere you can think of. This is our best chance to get our voices heard, and embarrass / call out Cowen and Dickson. There's no better venue than homecoming to do this.

The Hullabaloo will be providing me with copies that I will be giving out at the game... not sure how many though.
Roll Wave!
wave to em
Surge

Steve, there is a chance you might go down in Tulane history if we can pull this off. You will be the proud leader of the "goTULA.NEt" army that changed TULANE athletics forever.
I am so proud to be a part of this and a member of this forum....let's do this guys!
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
Wave71
Ripple

This letter nails it . Thanks Steve. I personally will make 500 copies and distribute at homecoming. We Will and We Can!!!!!!!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wow, Steve. Great way to present it too. Anyone stumbling on the forum for the first time wont be able to miss it.

Looking forward to the next few days!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
IM42lane
Swell

Put my name on this letter/petition. Changes must be made now.

I hope that the media can now see with this communication that Cowen & Dickson are not held in high regard any longer by many Tulane faithful. New administrative blood is needed immediately if these two can not come around to our level of thinking about Tulane athletics.

Sincerely,

A.S. Madere
7816 Board Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70817

(225)324-8498

[email protected] & [email protected]
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
RobertM320
Green Wave

TURVS71 wrote:Ok everyone, here it is. It has been emailed to 13 media contacts.

If you can possibly find the time, call in to the talk shows and make sure people know about it!!!

WIST
Sports Hangover
Eric Asher
Kaare Johnson

WWL

And anyone else you can think of.

Also, post it and comment on wherever and whenever you can.

IT'S TIME!!!
Bob, I wonder if you should email it to any board members whose email addresses we have? Let them wake up to their Homecoming weekend coffee with THAT in their inbox.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
TURVS71
Swell

I have sent it to Ms. Cynthia English, the main contact for the Board, with the request that it be forwarded or a copy of the letter distributed to each member.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RobertM320
Green Wave

TURVS71 wrote:I have sent it to Ms. Cynthia English, the main contact for the Board, with the request that it be forwarded or a copy of the letter distributed to each member.
I wonder if they'll actually do that.

By the way, my op-ed got nixed. "Space constraints" they said. Also, they were planning on running it as a letter to the editor. I was actually hoping to get it specifically as an editorial piece in the sports section. But he did say they would try to run it next issue. I figure any coverage is better than no coverage.
msdos
Swell

He did it. The crazy son of a bitch did it.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Great job Steve--a superb letter.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I contributed and organized, but didn't write it. Thanks to everyone who provided the funding, thoughts, and ideas for the letter. At the end of the day, no matter what happens, we have to try every avenue possible to get through and past Cowen and Dickson. Don't let up.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

If anyone over at YOGWF gave a damn, they would link to our Open Letter. This is bigger than any forum. Help spread the word Wave!
Roll Wave!
Bigschtick
Riptide

job well done. First time the alumni have made it clear that we will not tolerate Cowens and Dicksons dismantling of our athletics and academics. This should only be the beginning. Power to the "naysayers, the toxics , bandwagons and fringe lunatics".
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
RWR
Swell

My copies are made and will be distributed tomorrow.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RWR wrote:My copies are made and will be distributed tomorrow.
+1 :mrgreen:
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I have still not heard back from The Hullabaloo to get copies to hand out at the game. :x
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:I have still not heard back from The Hullabaloo to get copies to hand out at the game. :x
If you're around Tulane maybe you can go by the UC and get some.
Last edited by tpstulane on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
torbida
Surge

Steve you covered every concern with this letter that we fans have.I'm tired of the losing,the bs of Cowen and his poodle Dickson and their general overall apathy (isn't an AD's job to make the athletic program a winner)? I don't understand Cowen -he came in when Tulane was 12-0 and didn't allow the program to continue winning through the RR debacle.I guess he didn't see the excitement and good feelings that were being generated.Get this letter out and keep their feet to the fire until they change their attitudes or leave Tulane.
livingat45north
Ripple

Okay, a bit of a different perspective... I live in Minnesota, but I'm a Dad of a Tulane student, so I've been following Tulane athletics for the past few years. Last year Minnesota fired Tim Brewster and did a search for a new coach. A letter similar to yours was written, distributed, and it had disastrous results. All it did was tell prospective coaches not to come to Minnesota -- that the person hiring them (the AD and Chancellor) may not be around very long -- that uncertainty drove away coaches (e.g., Brady Hoke, Leach, etc.). Minnesota ended up getting the head coach from Northern Illinois, a good hire but certainly not the first, second, or third choice. The lesson learned is that if you want a great coach to be hired, you should be writing and distributing letters telling prospective coaches how great Tulane and NOLA are; not letters telling them to stay away. You've done the later, not the former. Just my thoughts from having gone through this last year.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

livingat45north wrote:Okay, a bit of a different perspective... I live in Minnesota, but I'm a Dad of a Tulane student, so I've been following Tulane athletics for the past few years. Last year Minnesota fired Tim Brewster and did a search for a new coach. A letter similar to yours was written, distributed, and it had disastrous results. All it did was tell prospective coaches not to come to Minnesota -- that the person hiring them (the AD and Chancellor) may not be around very long -- that uncertainty drove away coaches (e.g., Brady Hoke, Leach, etc.). Minnesota ended up getting the head coach from Northern Illinois, a good hire but certainly not the first, second, or third choice. The lesson learned is that if you want a great coach to be hired, you should be writing and distributing letters telling prospective coaches how great Tulane and NOLA are; not letters telling them to stay away. You've done the later, not the former. Just my thoughts from having gone through this last year.
I see what you are saying 45, but if TU doesn't change their ways, then it doesn't matter who we hire, as we'll never be able to sustain success.
Roll Wave!
livingat45north
Ripple

Timing is everything, you could have written the letter a year ago, but my opinion is not now when prospective coaches are looking at Tulane. Again, I'm an outsider looking in, but it would have been MUCH better here in Minnesota if the exact same type of letter wasn't written. For Tulane, now is the time to do everything to support the program, to make it as attractive as possible for a new coach -- the letter does the exact opposite. It should have been a "Tulane is great" letter and stated why along with "the alumni are looking forward to welcoming the new coach and making this team the success that it can and should be". A coach will want to come to a community like that, not one that's trying to get people fired. Again, just part of the lessons learned a year ago up here in Minnesota.
Ray
Surge

livingat45north wrote:Okay, a bit of a different perspective... I live in Minnesota, but I'm a Dad of a Tulane student, so I've been following Tulane athletics for the past few years. Last year Minnesota fired Tim Brewster and did a search for a new coach. A letter similar to yours was written, distributed, and it had disastrous results. All it did was tell prospective coaches not to come to Minnesota -- that the person hiring them (the AD and Chancellor) may not be around very long -- that uncertainty drove away coaches (e.g., Brady Hoke, Leach, etc.). Minnesota ended up getting the head coach from Northern Illinois, a good hire but certainly not the first, second, or third choice. The lesson learned is that if you want a great coach to be hired, you should be writing and distributing letters telling prospective coaches how great Tulane and NOLA are; not letters telling them to stay away. You've done the later, not the former. Just my thoughts from having gone through this last year.
No doubt .... Minnesota has been making some boneheaded choices in football for a few yrs. Kill from NIU is a good coach, with unfortunate health issues. UM, however, is not going to go away from college football or The Big Ten. We, howeve are in a very different & precarious situation. The letter was a good one & a good idea.(imo).