Does anybody know if . . . .

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
IM42lane
Swell

any C*USA schools will definitely be moving on to another league soon? Conference shuffling continues to be the order of the day, so I figure it is just a matter of time before the league undergoes some changes.

Now this is PURE SPECULATION by me -- I can see UCF moving on the the Big East. Football, basketball, and baseball are all solid enough right now to get that done very soon.

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

The smart move, is actually going independent.

I bet that's where everyone will want to be in 5-10 years.
gbgreenie
Surge

Independent that is why we are in the situation we are in now. We thought we didn't need the SEC. Bull. Independents don't share in large TV contracts or anything else that a good BCS Conference has. BCS Conference affilliation is security. Going at it alone is super risky. That would be make it or die. For Tulane it would die.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

gbgreenie wrote:Independent that is why we are in the situation we are in now. We thought we didn't need the SEC. Bull. Independents don't share in large TV contracts or anything else that a good BCS Conference has. BCS Conference affilliation is security. Going at it alone is super risky. That would be make it or die. For Tulane it would die.
The world is changing very fast. It used to be TV contracts were the only way to get seen and/or paid. Keep in mind Youtube is about 6 years old. In another 5-6 years, you'll be able to see Tulane football in crisp HD via the Web and the only thing a garbage conference affiliation (CUSA) will do is restrict who you can schedule.

Trust me, when the big schools like Texas, Ohio State, Florida, Alabama go independent those conferences will crumble.
sader24
Tsunami

No SEC will ever go independent unless its Vandy. Ohio St. will never go independent. Texas is the only school that might go independent eventually because they can support themselves and likely thrive playing a national schedule. If our decision comes to the point where we're either going to be in a CUSA/Sun Belt hybrid or go independent I would favor going Independent. I know right now that UCF and ECU and probably Memphis are working to get in the Big East. I think UCF has a real shot. SMU, Houston, and Tulsa are surely trying to get into the Mountain West and all probably have a decent shot especially with TCU bailing to the Big East. If we stay the course we're probably looking at a league that looks like this:
Marshall, UAB, Fla. Intl, Fla. Atlantic, S. Alabama, USM, Memphis, Tulane, Rice, Tulsa, ULL, La. Tech, etc. maybe ECU stays, maybe UTEP stays instead of going to the WAC. What's alarming about this picture is the teams heading up while we're heading down. A conference like this pretty much is the demise of Tulane football because nobody is going to watch these games. I also don't believe the TCU to the Big East will work out long term because of their other sports and the fact that TCU football could go South at some point if Patterson leaves and there would be absolutely no reason for them to be there if that happens from a Big East perspective. I think the Big East should've gone after UCF instead.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

not sure if many teams except UTEP (travel expenses) would want to go to the Moutain West..with TCU, UTAH, BYU gone that conference maybe is worse shape that CUSA and the added travel cost to Fresno and Reno even from Tulsa Dallas and Hoouston may make this a no win move..if memory serves CUSA has more Bowl tie in's than the Mtn West..but than again..all things are possible
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

A few things:

1) I doubt there will be a BCS by 2015. It's becoming harder and harder to say no to $500M-$1B that comes with a playoff and Mark Cuban can make this happen.

2) BYU will prove that going independent can and will be profitable (even though they have some advantages in their own TV broadcast facilities, but that advantage will go away with time). BYU is basically proving that it is better to be independent than to be in a conference with a bad TV contract

3) Texas and some of the other big time schools will go independent, because it will cost them too much not to.

4) So the biggest boys will go independent and schedule their rivals and the independent BYU's of the world and the only schools that will be left in the conferences are the 2nd tier current-BCS schools. This will render the conference system moot.

Do not underestimate how fast the world is changing and that includes college football.