Busing

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RWR
Swell

Listened to the radio show and graf said we were busing to Houston. I thought those days were over with. What a joke this ath. dept. is. Just one more piece of proof that James Jones,aka,jts, is a liar.

JDTulane
Riptide

It's what... a 3-4 hour drive? Busing to Houston doesn't bother me that much for a basketball team. It does for a football program. Not sure why I draw that line.

I drove down for the Tulane Houston football game... so boring once you pass Texas lines.
RWR
Swell

It's six hours that their legs are cramped up on a bus.
JTLiuzza
Swell

It's how a school who doesn't care about winning handles things. That's the problem. I don't care if it's only five hours to get there. It can't be argued that flying would leave the team in better condition to compete, and thereby increase the chance of winning.

But since that's not a priority for Tulane, at all, it's more important that they save what amounts to $2,000 or so, even at the expense of hindering team competitiveness.

Don't watch what they say, watch what they DO.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
JDTulane
Riptide

Obviously flying would be better and I'm not arguing otherwise. Is $2k really all that it would be or was that just a top of the head? I would've thought more $6k with there n back.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Figure 15 round trip tickets on Southwest at $175/pop = $2,625 versus the $600 or so (guess) they're spending on the round trip bus. I didn't research it but it seems like a reasonable estimate. Either way it's peanuts.
JDTulane
Riptide

I guess I thought it was more like 20-25 that traveled. But I've never played on a travelling bb team so wouldn't know. But agreed in that we're arguing pebbles in a bucket at this point. Either the investment is there or it isn't. In this case NOT.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I think it is a CUSA rule that all games less than 500 miles are to be bussed by all teams...Houston/Rice and maybe UAB are the only travel in question...thi was a Prez and AD decsion conference wide...by the way Georgia Tech does the same thing !!!, yes even in Football
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

They can't be saving more than 2K. Houston is 6 hours away not including traffic by bus, it's 45 minutes by plane. They can't be saving more than $2K. I played Basketball at Brother Martin and we played a tourney in Atlanta which is 7 hours by bus and busing was not even discussed or considered. If nothing else, it says small time to the team, the coaches, and recruits which I don't think is a good idea. To be fair I know that Rice bused to New Orleans for the baseball super regional in 2005, but I wouldn't want to ride on a bus for 6 hours and get out and play a Div 1a basketball game and then bus back for 6 hours. The worst thing I think is it just enforces that this entire program has gone completely small time.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am almost positive the team arrived in Houston the day before the game was played, not the day of..and bussed back the the morning after the game
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

I don't think it's that big of a deal or has any real effect on how the team plays as evidenced by the win, but I think it's in line with the way this department does things. They would rather save $2K and do something 2nd rate. It just always we're cutting even the smallest corners. Busing the basketball team to Houston is about 987th on my list of grievances so it's really not a big deal I guess.
Wavebacker
Ripple

You can actually get a lot of things done on a bus. Like homework, game -planning, team bonding. I don't think it's that big a deal either. Buses today are more plush than in the past. They have TV's, DVD's, WiFi. A big bus can take both the team and the cheerleaders and still have some room for anyone else who's going. Plus these kids today have IPods, IPhones, Blackberrys etc...They'll keep themselves occupied. Now if Tulane has their own bus that has the TU colors on it as well? All the better. A rolling promotion for the school.
Green Wave
Swell

I dont get this complaining about taking a bus stuff. College teams do it all the time. They got on a big comfy bus and drove 300 miles to Houston. So what. Michigan State took a bus to Indy for the NCAA final four in 2009. Does that mean they are cheap bastards cause they could of got on a plane and went the 225 miles in 30 minutes?
ROLL WAVE!
JTLiuzza
Swell

Green Wave wrote:Does that mean they are cheap bastards cause they could of got on a plane and went the 225 miles in 30 minutes?
In Tulane's case, yes. I'll give Michigan State or pretty much anybody else the benefit of the doubt. But for a school that nickel and dimes everything at the expense of winning and running a first class program, no slack.
Wavebacker
Ripple

Green Wave wrote:I dont get this complaining about taking a bus stuff. College teams do it all the time. They got on a big comfy bus and drove 300 miles to Houston. So what. Michigan State took a bus to Indy for the NCAA final four in 2009. Does that mean they are cheap bastards cause they could of got on a plane and went the 225 miles in 30 minutes?
I agree. I once saw the Univ. of Maryland take what looked like a fleet of buses down to Durham, NC for a game. It's a five-hour trip that would take an hour flying. These buses were nice ! They were clearly modern with black tinted windows and "Maryland" written on the side. Great promo for the school and even better looking buses. You can even get the students involved in the graphic designs of the bus.

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/news/d ... -1.1778361