2012 Tulane Baseball Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NTG
Ripple

JDTulane
Riptide

Love this. We get big names at home and a chance to take it to ECU at their place and get revenge for last year. The schedule is there for a recipe of success... just need Coach to step it up.
RWR
Swell

Weak schedule as usual w/RJ trying to pimp it up.
wave to em
Surge

RWR wrote:Weak schedule as usual w/RJ trying to pimp it up.
you serious? how is this a weak schedule?
OOC include
3 w/ bama
3 @ witchita st.
2 w/ lsu
2 w/ ULM
3 w/ Southeastern
2 w/ ULL
and then the CUSA slate (which is a tough baseball conf. imo)
how the hell is this weak?
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
RWR
Swell

It's weak. Plain and simple . If you want to buy RJ's annual BS feel free. Remember this is baseball not football when you're talking bama. Host a regional or change must be made.
msdos
Swell

there are 4 gimme teams. other than that, this is a solid schedule.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MSDOS... I agree, looks like a solid schedule to me....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tnelly15
Riptide

RWR wrote:Host a regional or change must be made.
That's foolish.
RWR
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:
RWR wrote:Host a regional or change must be made.
That's foolish.
Accepting mediocrity is foolish.
tnelly15
Riptide

There aren't a whole lot of College baseball coaches better than Rick Jones. Fire him and the replacement will likely be worse
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tnelly15 wrote:There aren't a whole lot of College baseball coaches better than Rick Jones. Fire him and the replacement will likely be worse
+1
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RWR
Swell

Can't live scared. A lot of people were nervous when Brockhoff was let go. Three years w/out post-season play in this sport is inexcusable. Time to turn it around and I hope he does.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RWR wrote:Can't live scared. A lot of people were nervous when Brockhoff was let go.
Remember this time around RD will do the hiring.
Tulane Class of 1981
RWR
Swell

Hopefully he'll be gone by then. Tulsa has an opening.
baldboy
Low Tide

The team was devastated by injuries last season after starting 17-4. Any team who would have lost starting pitchers as we did would have tanked, probably worse! And to somehow blame that on the head coach is psychotic at best. Blame him if we have everyone healthy and still don't make post season. But, this season will be a good one so sit back and chill. I also predict after post season success from baseball we will be able to finally look forward to football!!!!!!! I fear for those Tulane fans who will crumble under the burdens of such success! :)
RWR
Swell

What's psychotic is overlooking that our hitting was our problem for the most part last year. More importantly it was the 3rd straight year w/out post-season. Back to the loony bin for you. BTW, they started 17-4 b/c of the weak schedule . Same as the year before that.
wavemania
Surge

Let's not forget the 11.7 scholly rule. This a log with the transfer rule of sitting out now hurts Tulane more than most realize. ith the cost of a Tulane education,tops doesn't help but probably cover books. Instead of Tulane adm getting creative and offering discounts to La students like Rice does, I really don't see baseball able to do as much now. Jones is still a great coach. He is just having to coach with one hand tied behind his back.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wavemania wrote:Let's not forget the 11.7 scholly rule. This a log with the transfer rule of sitting out now hurts Tulane more than most realize. ith the cost of a Tulane education,tops doesn't help but probably cover books. Instead of Tulane adm getting creative and offering discounts to La students like Rice does, I really don't see baseball able to do as much now. Jones is still a great coach. He is just having to coach with one hand tied behind his back.
+1
He told me next year room & board will be nearly 60K.
Tulane Class of 1981
TU23
High Tide

What is also hurting baseball more than anything is the lack of support from Gibson Hall. Other schools, like Vandy and Rice, can submit a kid's info and know within a day or so whether the kid is admitted and how much scholarship they can give them. It's taking Tulane WEEKS/MONTHS to get back to them. You might not think that's such a big deal, but when you are fighting tooth and nail for every recruit you can get, it makes a big difference. Because of the issues with football this hasn't been that high on the administration's list of things to correct (rightfully so, football and basketball are 1 and 2 on the priority list), but this is something that should be corrected as soon as we get this football stuff figured out.

Jones and company didn't forget how to win or what to do. It's going to be harder going forward no matter who the coach is going to be. Not only have the rules been changed, but the baseball budget has been slashed significantly to make up for deficiencies in football and basketball. That is a fact. That is one reason why you haven't been seeing national recruiting since Katrina. We're also not going on the road to play teams on the West Coast, which also helped recruiting. We got a couple of players, Segedin included, through a connection in the Northeast right after Katrina, but you don't see us going out to California, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, etc to get players anymore. It was hard enough to recruit qualified players before (ones that could pass and pay), but when you shrink the pool of players even more and have to compete with the other expensive private schools in the area, it's a thousand times harder.

In a lot of ways, getting football's act together will help baseball. Same with basketball. The more money we can bring in with those sports, the more likely baseball will get to recruit nationally again and increase their operations budget. I agree that 3 years without postseason is unacceptable. We should be better this year, and Jake Gautreau is doing an unbelievable job on the recruiting trail (I've heard that from several people not affiliated with Tulane). We're starting to win some battles that we used to win. Jake was team captain my freshman year, and I can tell you that he's all baseball all the time. He was a tremendous teammate, leader and someone that everyone on the team could trust. If he can convey that same feeling with recruits, we're going to do well.
Jonathan
Riptide

I agree with RWR. Rick has not earned his half million salary the last three years Sick of excuses. TU baseball now level of football and basketball. Worst in cusa.we want a top recruiter. We want Rick gone and Coach Sloss back.
TU23
High Tide

Jonathan wrote:I agree with RWR. Rick has not earned his half million salary the last three years Sick of excuses. TU baseball now level of football and basketball. Worst in cusa.we want a top recruiter. We want Rick gone and Coach Sloss back.
Schloss is never coming back. His wife is from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and his family is happy there. He makes a ton of money and TCU is in a lot better shape than we are and now they are in the Big 12. The only job I can see Schloss leaving TCU for is Texas when Augie Garrido retires.
Jonathan
Riptide

Thanks not good to here. Why can tcu rice baylor vandy uva Stanford put ncaa tournament teams and college world series teams every year and tulane is at the bottom of lowly cusa for the last three years. These schools on average are ranked much higher academically than us other than baylor tu is now second tier 51
AugWave
Swell

smh.. some fans. How about we wait until the season starts and then start throwing stones.. ???? :roll:
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Jaxwave
Swell

Aug, I love your optimism. The difference is there are a lot of us that have been supporting and following Tulane atletics for decades with very little success. We are naturally pessimistic. We need to build a fan base more fans like you, but only winning will do that and the moves we see happening don't appear to lead to that.
JDTulane
Riptide

AugWave wrote:smh.. some fans. How about we wait until the season starts and then start throwing stones.. ???? :roll:
You and I still wear the shades: :geek: :mrgreen: