Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Robert1969
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Regarding DeShazier, I think its VITALLY important that we all make the effort to post comments to his articles on nola.com. That would serve two purposes: It would call him out for his small minded and racially biased thinking, AND it would let him know that we are out here, we care, and we're not gonna take it any more. If we don't speak up, that's the same as agreeing with him. We have over 100 members here on goTULA, we should see 100 posts on every article regarding Tulane athletics. Lets do our part.
Agreed. I've posted under both FW articles in the Picayune.

msdos
Swell

There was a caller on the Kaare Johnson show saying we contacted Ed Orgeron.

If true, did we really forget about what he did to us during Katrina?
Robert1969
Riptide

msdos wrote:There was a caller on the Kaare Johnson show saying we contacted Ed Orgeron.

Orgeron was a terrible head coach. 10-25 at Ole Miss. I don't like what he did during Katrina, and to top it off the guy is a loser. This would be a terrible hire.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:
msdos wrote:There was a caller on the Kaare Johnson show saying we contacted Ed Orgeron.

Orgeron was a terrible head coach. 10-25 at Ole Miss. I don't like what he did during Katrina, and to top it off the guy is a loser. This would be a terrible hire.
+1
He's another Toledo on his way down...........
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

Shaun King:

@realshaunking
shaun king
@greggrosenthal if i get tulane job im bringing u with as director of everything lmao!!!!!
http://twitter.com/#!/realshaunking/sta ... 5172363264

I know he's just joking, and is not a serious candidate, but I am certain he knows more about creative offenses than Bob Toledo.
DrBox
Riptide

I'll say this for Ogeron - he actually WAS a great recruiter at a school that isn't particularly easy to recruit to - Ole Miss. It wouldn't surprise me if he was better at his next stop. But his fortunes seemed to have turned downward and he needs to get his 2nd chance at a sun belt school or 1AA to prove he can be a head coach.

If we're serious, and it's a big if, we are nowhere near these recruiter coaches. and we shouldn't be even if we go out on-the-cheap as Dickson and Cowen have done in the past.
sader24
Tsunami

If Orgeron wants to be a defensive coordinator or DL coach that's one thing, but he had a head coaching oppurtunity already and performed terribly and the fans did not like him. Once again we need a HEAD COACH, not a recruiter. Orgeron has proven he is not head coach material. I have alot of Ole Miss friends and they used to tell me constantly how big a joke he was up there. No recruiters, we need a coach.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Orgeron would be a disaster.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
JTLiuzza
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:

Orgeron would be a disaster.
Another "great recruiter"
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here we go again with the TP pushing this Frank Wilson BS, Tammy's turn.........
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... vacan.html
“Certainly here at Tulane, we look for somebody that first embraces Tulane and embraces New Orleans,” Dickson said. “We are what we are, and we are where we are. So somebody that looks at both of those things as both unique and positive is important, somebody that has demonstrated the capability in whatever role and capacity that they’ve been in to contribute to and lead to high levels of success.”

Frank Wilson, who’s been LSU’s running backs coach and recruiting coordinator the past two years, checks a lot of boxes. He’s been an assistant at Ole Miss and Tennessee. He is a St. Augustine and Nicholls State graduate and former coach at O.P. Walker High School. He has the connections in the metro area that could be a boon for recruiting.

According to a source familiar with the situation, Wilson is extremely interested in the Tulane job. His boss, LSU Coach Les Miles, said Wilson, 37, would make a fantastic head coach.

“I think there’s a number of guys on our staff that would make a great head coach,” Miles said. “Certainly, Frank Wilson is one of them. He has tremendous ties in the city of New Orleans. He’s a wonderful man, wonderful family man. I don’t think there’s any question his name should surface in relationship with very, very good head coaching jobs.”
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

There's the old "we are what we are" that's become dicksons motto. Wilson is probably our our next coach. Larry porter part II. They should have just kept scelfo. Christ.
Wavetime
Swell

Frank Wilson,

He has so many connections, he should run for mayor. It's amazing......Frank Wilson owns the news stations and the news media. He is one guy that I really want to get to know. He must have monster parties on his nickel, get anyone jobs that they want, have people's car washed, their lawn's mowed etc.....this guy is connected and very well liked,,,,,,

It's just the wrong fit in my opinion. Man....LSU can even cloud the media for a Tulane coach....unreal...just unreal. I am at the point now that I just change the channel, turn the page or close out the browser whenever I see his name.

Good Luck Mr. Wilson, you are successful and I hope your career continues to be positive...just not here,,you are not ready.
galvezwave
Swell

I agree he's not ready. Judging form that pile of steaming crap Tammy wrote, I don't think Tulane's ready to play ball either. So frustrating. I get ill every time Dickson opens his mouth.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Well, I just blasted Tammy in the comments section of that article. What she wrote is basically a rehash of what DeShazier wrote yesterday. Funny thing, when we asked for her opinion, she say she wasn't a "columnist", just a reporter. NOW she has an opinion on who our next coach should be?

Please Tammy, at least be consistent.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

I just noticed this morning that even the people on the "other" board aren't pleased with the T-P shoving Frank Wilson down our throats.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
sader24
Tsunami

If we hire Frank Wilson you can mail it in and start supporting someone else. As for Rick Dickson, every time he opens up his mouth I want to punch myself in the face. He is the most depressing SOB I have ever listened to. "We are what we are" and "It is what it is", what we are is the the worst football program in the country. Rick has to go immediately.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anytime a Head Coach starts to support his assistants for other oipportunites, that assistant's time has run it's course at that school....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:anytime a Head Coach starts to support his assistants for other oipportunites, that assistant's time has run it's course at that school....
+1
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just noticed there are 38 comments on that article by Tammy. When was the last time ANY Tulane article in the TP got that many comments. Of course, the bulk of them are either people with no vested interest in Tulane just looking to push a minority candidate, or the those of us from here trying to explain to them why Frank Wilson is not the right guy.
sader24
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:anytime a Head Coach starts to support his assistants for other oipportunites, that assistant's time has run it's course at that school....

See Don Shula i.e. Wally English.
DrBox
Riptide

+2
superwavefan
High Tide

Bobby Hauck is making $350k at UNLV.

His offensive philosophy is spread, emphasizing running backs...

He's learning how to recruit against BCS schools that pluck local talent form his backyard.

...just tossing this out for discussion.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

UNLV is 1-5 this year....... NEXT!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
TURVS71
Swell

I think there is much confusion about a coach's ability to recruit. We all know that schools have a Recruiting Co-ordinator. This individual is responsible for all aspects of recruiting; Identifying needs, finding players, visiting homes, sending letters. MOST of the time the head coach only gets involved to close the deal or to sign a letter. He does not have the time to get totally involved in recruiting. That's the Co-ordinators job. This is what bothers me about someone saying a head coach is a "great recruiter." (Frank Wilson) Also, OF COURSE miles is going to say Wilson is great and ready. What else would he say? "Well, he is getting there but not quite ready for a head coaching position." So why even quote him?

So, telling me that a candidate is a "GREAT RECRUITER" is not appealing. How is his coaching? What is his experience? What is his record?

Don't we have an excellent recruiter right now? Keep him and build from there.

Just my opinion.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tmorg36
Ripple

OK, hello all. Longtime green wave fan whose been bouncing around these sites for a while and decided to sign up and weigh in. Tried to get on the yogwf site but they wouldn't have me for some reason. Either way glad to be here and take it easy on the new guy.
In my opinion I don't think we need all these "name" coaches. The reason they are "names" is b/c they screwed something up along the way with a bigger opportunity and would now consider themselves to be settling at TU. I say forget names, forget "big time" assistants, forget the minority who can recruit. Go out and find a "FOOTBALL COACH" some one who has been known to turn around a program and gets players to play hard. The talk of guys like Hudspeth at ULL and Cristobal is a lot more intriguing to me. Thats just two names but I'm sure there are more. I'm sure there are some good energetic FCS (1AA) coaches who are getting it done and would jump at the chance to coach at a Tulane and not see them selves as rebounding (RR/Leach) or as a stepping stone like a "big time" assistant looking for a quick fix and then a bounce. Find a BALL coach from somewhere and build it the right way. May not even be popular or sexy name at first but you gotta do this thing with sweat and hard work. Wins create excitement long term, not names for the short term feel good about our selve. But thats just one mans opinion.