Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Robert1969
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:BTW, where is Fletcher Mackel's blog so we can all got to it and post our disapproval of his suggestion for Wilson. We need to make sure that he can't successfully campaign for him.
I think its on WDSU's website. Its called Offsides with Fletcher Mackel. And I like your idea.
Yeh, I found it. The guy is ridiculous. He's talking about hiring a frickin JuCo coach. Pathetic.

threeputt
High Tide

Well the last time we had an opening he was pimping John fourcade ... As least now he is pimping an actual college coach :lol:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wavetime wrote:Full disclosure, I am not a fan of Fletcher Mackel. He is pumping Frank Wilson on the air and on his blog. For the first ever I went to is blog and the entire front page is Wilson. Now, I don't know Wilson, but Mackel has been no fan of Tulane. FM is using every ounce of his power to get Wilson hired, there has to be a connection. Kinda pisses me off to tell you the truth.
The connection is NORD, Mackel and Wison are connected through City Park with that.
Wasn't Fletcher's dad the golf pro at City Park like forever?
Yes, and Frank Wilson worked in City Park as director with NORD.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

otherr than a fish on the line "what the hell is a Fletcher Mackrel" ?!?!?..and what makes it/him soooo gawd dam important ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave to em
Surge

Robert1969 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:F. Mackel keeps pushing his friend Frank Wilson. Said that Tulane probably wouldn't be able to pay enough to get RR or ML of which he called "dream" candidates.
Yeh, he asked on twitter where would Tulane get the money for RR. So, I sent him a list of Tulane alumni who are billionaires.
haha. thats awsome.............
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
wave to em
Surge

i think this is who we should go after, in this order (based on that list)
1. RR (easy choice)
2. Leach (another easy choice)
3. Hudspeth (but is TU really a "step up" from ULL now?)
4. Tommy Bowden (let him at it again)
5. ED O (the dude just always looks mad, i like that)
This is where the drop off happens
6. Trooper
7. Curtis Johnson
8. Frank Wilson
9. Terry Bowden
10. Burton Burns (isnt he on the simpsons?)
11. Karl dunbar
12. Calvin magee
13. L. Washington
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ImageImage
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ray
Surge

tpstulane wrote:ImageImage
IMPACT!! Could these guys be approached without them talking to Dickson??(Kidding .....sort of).
JerseyWave
Riptide

Someone must have a picture of RR in Tulane gear!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ray wrote:IMPACT!! Could these guys be approached without them talking to Dickson??(Kidding .....sort of).
Ray, I've wondered about that myself. If some of our big athletics supporters were to let them know the fanbase is interested in getting them here, could that possibly hurt? Lord knows, we really don't want to leave it in Dickson's hands alone, do we?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
sader24
Tsunami

If Rich Rodriguez is even remotely interested they should throw everything they have at him. The team he build at Michigan is 6-1.
DrBox
Riptide

Yes, the DeShazier article is sickening.
TU is NOT a hard place to recruit to, if we are TRYING TO WIN.
ExileWave
Surge

It is EASY to recruit at LSU. Wilson would be another 5 year disaster- if the program can survive that long with more losing. There is a reason that everyone ranks our recruiting at the bottom of CUSA annually. Do we have better players? Maybe- it is not showing on the field. We are still slow looking and weaker than opponents. A MAJOR hire is needed. Not a resruiter. That will take care of itself.
galvezwave
Swell

What ever happened to derrick nix? I liked him at jam and he was dc at Florida last I remember. He knows new orleans, has years as a coordinator, and bone crushing defense never hurt anybody. Put him with a good offensive mind and it could be a good fit.
galvezwave
Swell

At "usm". Ugh stupid auto correct
murphwave
High Tide

TURVS71 wrote:John Deshazier, in his story this morning, is REALLY pushing Frank Wilson. We just can't let that happen!!! They keep talking about his "recruiting skills." That is all well and fine but we need COACHING. Supposedly we have made inroads into local recruiting and are into the local high schools big time AND we already have a great recruiter on staff. Why on earth, after what we just went through, would we go with this guy whose ONLY a running back coach and who was only head coach in high school!!!. ANOTHER MISTAKE JUST WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!!

Oh, also in a separate story about student reaction by John Reid, he contacted jts for his thoughts. I stopped reading at that point..........

Dave Dickerson was known as a strong recruiter at Maryland too (and couldn't bring anyone to us at Tulane). Recruiting at a major national power is easy. It's more about sorting out who you don't want, than trying to convince kids to come.
galvezwave
Swell

Tyrone nix is the name I was looking for, derrick is his brother.
livingat45north
Ripple

Minnesota guy here with a daughter attending Tulane so I follow the Tulane football program. Don't make the same mistake that Minnesota did when they hired Brewster four years ago. Brewster wasn't ever a head coach or even a coordinator before he was hired; Brewster was a great recruiter. So, what we got was a great recruiter that didn't have the experience necessary to lead a team, and the result was disaster. The lesson learned is to hire someone that has at least some experience as offense or defensive coordinator, not just a position coach. RR and ML would be great if you can get em. I don't think you'd get RR, but ML would probably listen.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

livingat45north wrote:Minnesota guy here with a daughter attending Tulane so I follow the Tulane football program. Don't make the same mistake that Minnesota did when they hired Brewster four years ago. Brewster wasn't ever a head coach or even a coordinator before he was hired; Brewster was a great recruiter. So, what we got was a great recruiter that didn't have the experience necessary to lead a team, and the result was disaster. The lesson learned is to hire someone that has at least some experience as offense or defensive coordinator, not just a position coach. RR and ML would be great if you can get em. I don't think you'd get RR, but ML would probably listen.
Good perspective, thanks. Unlike, Minnesota, we're in a world of hurt and if we screw up this hire it may be the death knell so we can't be taking any chances.
sader24
Tsunami

I could recruit at LSU. I'm so sick of the John DeShazier's of the world who write about Tulane once every 5 years tell us what WE need. What an idiot.
JTLiuzza
Swell

sader24 wrote:I could recruit at LSU. I'm so sick of the John DeShazier's of the world who write about Tulane once every 5 years tell us what WE need. What an idiot.
That was exactly my take. You've got all these local sports guys who never pay any attention to Tulane football suddenly chiming in because it's the hot story of the week presuming to be experts instructing Tulane what it has to do going forward.

I appreciated DeShazier's article last week pointing out that the Tulane administration needs to commit to winning football. That's the first time DeShazier has been even close to right in my memory. Then after Toledo resigns he writes another piece shilling for somebody as HC who would scream to the world that we are STILL not committed to winning at football. He doesn't know whether he's coming or going.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
galvezwave
Swell

Any opinions on Ty Nix? Has he ever interviewed for this job on the last few openings? What would be you guys feelings about a defensive minded coach? He's still young but I wonder why he hasn't gotten a shot somewhere.
wave to em
Surge

1ndabag wrote:
sader24 wrote:I could recruit at LSU. I'm so sick of the John DeShazier's of the world who write about Tulane once every 5 years tell us what WE need. What an idiot.
That was exactly my take. You've got all these local sports guys who never pay any attention to Tulane football suddenly chiming in because it's the hot story of the week presuming to be experts instructing Tulane what it has to do going forward.

I appreciated DeShazier's article last week pointing out that the Tulane administration needs to commit to winning football. That's the first time DeShazier has been even close to right in my memory. Then after Toledo resigns he writes another piece shilling for somebody as HC who would scream to the world that we are STILL not committed to winning at football. He doesn't know whether he's coming or going.
Deshazier says we need a serious commitment from the admin but then he pushes Wilson? Making that hire would be the exact opposite of commitment
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
JerseyWave
Riptide

I think RR would listen if he heard from Cowen. Dickson certainly does not inspire anyone.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Regarding DeShazier, I think its VITALLY important that we all make the effort to post comments to his articles on nola.com. That would serve two purposes: It would call him out for his small minded and racially biased thinking, AND it would let him know that we are out here, we care, and we're not gonna take it any more. If we don't speak up, that's the same as agreeing with him. We have over 100 members here on goTULA, we should see 100 posts on every article regarding Tulane athletics. Lets do our part.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson