Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wavetime
Swell

Yesterday on Sirius Radion Leach took a Tulane question from someone who e-mailed in. The question was how would you recruit at Tulane. He just went off,,and for about 3 - 4 minutes which is a long time. He said that you go to their living rooms and say,,,here's what a Tulane education is worth, here's what LSU's education is worth. Then you ask the recruit what you want to major in. Business, OK. Tulane has a heck of a business school and here's what the average person will make after graduation, here is what the average LSU grad will make after graduation, I don't know what the answers are, but it's a heck of a lot more....then he said that academics is what makes this country and Tulane can sell that very easily plus the Superdome....then as you leave the recruits house you say that you can have all of this,,,,and play football too...

It was very impressive and obviously he knows a thing or two about Tulane.

Robert1969
Riptide

@NYDNDickWeiss
Dick Weiss
florida atlantic includes mike leach, randy shannon, jim leavitt among candidates for fb coaching job.
http://twitter.com/#!/NYDNDickWeiss/sta ... 0326705152
murphwave
High Tide

Imagine the hype and coverage if we somehow get invited to the B12 and name Leach as coach for our first game against TT. We would be relevant overnight.
Robert1969
Riptide

Tommy Bowden explains what coaches want:
Your brother Terry stayed out 10 years and then returned. What would it take for you to return to coaching?

"If a situation came up that I could financially hire a good staff -- more so than how much they pay the head coach -- and retain them. And then facilities where you can recruit and a very good place geographically. If something like that came open, I might look at it. You know, when I got out of coaching, within two months I had met with an AD in the SEC, talked with presidents or ADs in the Big 12, Conference USA and Big East, and nothing really came up. I don't know if I would have gotten any jobs. But I wasn't really excited at that point in time."
Pay attention Tulane, that's what it takes to get a good coach. He might as well say here: exactly the opposite of the "Tulane model".

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011 ... ach_t.html
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:Tommy Bowden explains what coaches want:
Your brother Terry stayed out 10 years and then returned. What would it take for you to return to coaching?

"If a situation came up that I could financially hire a good staff -- more so than how much they pay the head coach -- and retain them. And then facilities where you can recruit and a very good place geographically. If something like that came open, I might look at it. You know, when I got out of coaching, within two months I had met with an AD in the SEC, talked with presidents or ADs in the Big 12, Conference USA and Big East, and nothing really came up. I don't know if I would have gotten any jobs. But I wasn't really excited at that point in time."
Pay attention Tulane, that's what it takes to get a good coach. He might as well say here: exactly the opposite of the "Tulane model".

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011 ... ach_t.html
Yes, and a 25K/30K/35K stadium does not fall under "facilities where you can recruit" either. The Superdome and an IPF? Absolutely.

So SHOCKING that our Athletic Department would screw that up. :roll:
DrBox
Riptide

Honestly, if we're going to hire Leach or RR, we should have the wrapped up by now - all but the signature.
And we may. And we should.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:Honestly, if we're going to hire Leach or RR, we should have the wrapped up by now - all but the signature.
And we may. And we should.
And maybe that's why Leach seemed to have a ready answer to the Tulane question? ;) Hoping...
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave71
Ripple

I think Bryan Harsin, off. Coord. at Texas would be a good hire. A young coach with a good offensive mind that was Boise St. off coord for the last few years before Mack Brown scooped him up! He had Boise St. offense ranked nationally with 2 and 3 star athletes. I think he would be a good hire ,but im sure these clowns are going to let someone else get him before we do. I hope you are reading this RD!!! Please let Buffet Bob go back to Cali and retire. Go interview Bryan Harsin Please!!!!!
DrBox
Riptide

The only explanation I have is that Cowen realizes he needs a new AD as much as a new Head coach, with the reservation being that RD is in the middle of these Big 12 talks.
But that's probably a mere hope on my part. These clowns probably think that homecoming might be interfered with.
Robert1969
Riptide

My belief is that Cowen wants failure in the athletic department. He wants to rid the world of Tulane athletics so he will never fire Toledo or Dickson. The aim is not to win. The aim is to fail so badly that you have to eradicate the athletic department. Toledo's continued presence is the proof that Cowen desires failure when it comes to athletics. Always has, always will.
sader24
Tsunami

I also believe Cowen wants the Athletic Department to fail and has since he got here. That anyone thinks we have Leach or Rodriguez signed up already is a bit out there. We can't even decide to fire Toledo, you can't honestly think the Terrible Twosome have secretly signed a coach of their caliber.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Brian Harsin of Texas is not coming to Tulane... all it would take is a 2 minute conversation with Mack Brown and Harsin would opt out for a high school job in Allen Texas... RR and Leavitt maybe viable at a min. salary of 1.5 mill...anything less and Tulane is going the Assistant coach route...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Frank Wilson?..............
https://twitter.com/#!/BFeldmanCBS
Never been around a guy w more juice w players & their families than Frank Wilson. Just not sure he'd take the Tulane job.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Frank Wilson?..............
https://twitter.com/#!/BFeldmanCBS
Never been around a guy w more juice w players & their families than Frank Wilson. Just not sure he'd take the Tulane job.
That is insane on two fronts.

1) Frank Wilson wouldn't necessarily be a great hire.

2) There is no way in he'll he turns down a headcoaching gig at Tulane.
JDTulane
Riptide

We don't need another player warm n cuddly fuzzy wuzzy. We need a big name, big hire, wow candidate.
sader24
Tsunami

Please no Frank Wilson.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

sader24 wrote:Please no Frank Wilson.
+1 NO FRANK WILSON!
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Wavetime
Swell

I know that Frank Wilson is a recruiter, but that's all I know. What eperience does he have.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

We need a COACH! Recruits ain't shit without an accomplished and proven coach.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
OUG
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:We need a COACH! Recruits ain't sh*t without an accomplished and proven coach.
And we can't wait three years to right the ship.

Rich Rodriguez would absolutely come back here, I really believe that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:
sader24 wrote:Please no Frank Wilson.
+1 NO FRANK WILSON!
+1 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

Whoever we get, I would really like someone like a Chris Peterson.

Someone who is not only successful, but wants to be with us for the long haul.
Tulane05
Trickle

If you don't get your big budget increase for coaches....

Who do you like in the bargain bin? Cause I think that is where your going to end up. There is no "real" change coming- so he can take this job with few resources and get the program to relevance:

1. A guy who has proven he can win a little in LA with zero resources.
2. A guy who can recruit the area and has a track record of identifying talent
3. A guy who is cheap and available.
4. A good quarterback coach in a offense-friendly League

Rickey Bustle. Didn't everyone admire the job he did upstate? Great QB coach. If he could win six consistently there, he will get Tulane to two minor Bowl games the next five years. He will also stay five years even if he gets the Wave to 8-5 in three years, whereas Leach and RR won't. They'll always be looking for the exit.

Not the sexy pick. But he'll leave a better program than he inherits. He is the best bet if the Wave refuses to find the dollars.

Frankly, they should have hired him five years ago. Bottom line: he is a guy who gets something out of very little. That might be the only real strategy available once Tulane antes up.

Attacking this idea as inadequate because only a big name coach will do.... well, I stipulate that. It would be preferable to have a giant of the industry here. But, if we forced to fix what is broken on a budget, he is my pick.

I get it- RR or bust. But I'm genuinely curious who the "realistic" names are- guys with a pulse we could get here for a modest price?
JDTulane
Riptide

I agree. No Frank Wilson.

Leach, RR, God, or bust.
Wave71
Ripple

golfnut69 wrote:Brian Harsin of Texas is not coming to Tulane... all it would take is a 2 minute conversation with Mack Brown and Harsin would opt out for a high school job in Allen Texas... RR and Leavitt maybe viable at a min. salary of 1.5 mill...anything less and Tulane is going the Assistant coach route...

Hey golfnut69, For the right price, Bryan Harsin would come in a heart beat. Don't fool yourself, a head coaching job in fertile New Orleans and the right price. The hell what Mack Brown say, that man and his family comes first. Don,t kid yourself, Mack Brown is not God and that Texas program isn't where it needs to be, i promise. I think this guy would be a great hire!!