Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

IM42lane wrote:Frank Monica for football HC? Frank has ALWAYS been a Tulane supporter. Frank's team, St. Charles Catholic, takes on Parkview Baptist (Baton Rouge) tonight for a shot at playing for the 3-A championship at the MB Superdome next weekend.

Frank is a former Tulane assistant. If anyone has a better idea, post it!

Are we ever going to get a new HC?
The question is will Coach Monica come back to Tulane.

billow
High Tide

I have known Frank Monica for over 35 years. I have found him very knowledgable of the game of football. Furthermore, where ever he has Coached whether it be Lutcher, Jesuit, St Charles Catholic, etc. he has won. Talking to high school coaches who know him, say he is one of, if not the best games day coaches they have ever known. Sometimes you can not see the forest because of the trees. Sometimes the forest is right in your back yard. I can see him put together a staff of local high school coaches to battle for the local recruits right here in Louisiana. Who knows maybe, Lionel Washington, who played for Frank at Lutcher and won a state championship would be on the staff. Pretty intriguing thought.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Today's football scoop entry:

"Tulane: Just when you thought the ending to the book couldn't take any more turns, there is now a report that Trooper Taylor was interviewed."
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
hounddog
Low Tide

From football scoop today;

Tulane: Just when you thought the ending to the book couldn't take any more turns, there is now a report that Trooper Taylor was interviewed.
wave to em
Surge

1ndabag wrote:Today's football scoop entry:

"Tulane: Just when you thought the ending to the book couldn't take any more turns, there is now a report that Trooper Taylor was interviewed."
I know a lot of people don't like this but ya know what, IM ALL FOR IT....yeah buddy
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
hounddog
Low Tide

From SB Nation:

Exciting news! Auburn Tigers assistant head coach and wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor is "in the mix at Tulane," according to AL.com's Charles Goldberg. Taylor is best known for recruiting, being accused of things, waving a very long towel at all times, and celebrating otherwise.

The Tulane Green Wave job has been open since Bob Toledo was fired midway through the season.

Taylor certainly has Tulane connections, having coached receivers for five years there. He's from southeast Texas and has posted some of his biggest recruiting achievements in the Gulf Coast region. He has no head coaching experience, but he's been an assistant head coach at two SEC programs for seven years total, plus a season's worth of co-offensive coordinator experience.

If Gus Malzahn, Taylor, and Curtis Luper all leave the Plains for elsewhere, as could reportedly happen, Gene Chizik's gonna have to do some mighty great coaching to hold this thing together
threeputt
High Tide

Does that mean that I will now have to wear my Tualne ball cap ..... backwards ;)
highgreentide
Ripple

always a big fan of trooper taylor! sign him up!
OUG
Riptide

Trooper Taylor? Damn. I sure hope he's behind Curtis Johnson on the list.

Honestly, if we're going to look at position coaches, CJ is by far the best of the candidates. I don't even think its close, actually.

But I think the fact that we haven't offered CJ yet goes to show you that position coaches are a last resort for us, even if we have interviewed Taylor (which could have taken place a month ago).

Honestly, I'd be upset if we didn't interview Taylor, if only to get his thoughts on what it would take to be successful at Tulane, what a HC should bring to the table, what investments should be made.
tnelly15
Riptide

I wouldnt be opposed to Taylor.
TrkWave
Ripple

Trooper Has Co-Offensive Coordinated for a bit. Also he's been around the game for a hwile, so with a good budget, he should be able to pick up top flight assistants. Not to mention running around waving a towel is something we can all join in on. haha.
ajcalhoun
Swell

My how times have changed. Vince Gibson was fired because he didn't fit the the "Tulane image" and now we're considering Trooper Taylor, who has one of the dirtiest reps in the SEC.
God Bless Everyone!
galvezwave
Swell

Crazy as it sounds, hey, go for it with trooper. Imagine the press conference. Even crazier? Offer Shaun qb coach/oc. At this point with the way the search has gone. Why the hell not?
WaveCan
Low Tide

OUG wrote:
WaveCan wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote: I hate that I feel this way, but right now I've just thrown my hands in the air, and have given up on this search. Every ounce of excitement has been drained.
This +1,000,000. I think back to the beginning of this search and the optimism I felt over all the reports that Tulane really was serious now and that this hire would mark the beginning of a new day. Shortly thereafter there was the report of the new stadium (we can argue over the details of the stadium plan, but the fact that Tulane had $40-$60 million in donations lined up for an on campus stadium is still amazing given the past decade), and the optimism continued, building into outright euphoria the night of the Houston game with Rich Rod's appearance. Now where are we? Seven weeks since Toledo was canned and there's no end in sight. This has become yet another instance of Tulane turning something that could be great into a complete disaster and only alienated even more of the few fans that were left. Didn't think it could get worse than the Toledo era, but i was wrong.
Good God man, you think this uncertainty is worse an having Bob Toledo as coach?
The fact that we were promised light at the end of the tunnel only to now become a national laughingstock as coach after coach turns us down over the course of 7 freaking weeks is worse in terms of crushing any optimism about the direction of the program. With Toledo, we knew we were stuck in reverse. It looked like we would move forward, but instead have hit the accelerator while still in reverse. We're down to candidates who are position coaches with no experience as a coordinator let alone as a head coach. Can't even attract a BCS coordinator or get the head coach of a Sun Belt team to come on board.

That said, if we're going the position coach route, Trooper Taylor seems to be the best of the bunch. Tons of experience at big schools, experience at Tulane, would likely run an exciting offense, and would be a great communicator and energetic face of the program.
IM42lane
Swell

billow wrote:I have known Frank Monica for over 35 years. I have found him very knowledgable of the game of football. Furthermore, where ever he has coached whether it be Lutcher, Jesuit, St Charles Catholic, etc. he has won. Talking to high school coaches who know him, say he is one of, if not the best games day coaches they have ever known. Sometimes you can not see the forest because of the trees. Sometimes the forest is right in your back yard. I can see him put together a staff of local high school coaches to battle for the local recruits right here in Louisiana. Who knows maybe, Lionel Washington, who played for Frank at Lutcher and won a state championship would be on the staff. Pretty intriguing thought.
I just hope that Cowen & D!ckson are NOT looking at getting another Ivy League coach in here (Harvard, Yale, Brown, etc.)! I really believe that those two do not have what it takes to get a good winning coach that can turn things around. We really have had enough of coaches like Buddy Teevens.

If it came down to an Ivy League type and a coach like Frank Monica, I would rather have Frank. I just hope that it has not reached that level around here, but I wonder if it has.

Frank Monica would recruit south Louisiana well, especially in the River Parish area. He would have to put together a staff that could handle the college game at an acceptable level, however.

I am just wondering what goes on at Tulane right now. Are Cowen & D!ckson that clueless?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
galvezwave
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:My how times have changed. Vince Gibson was fired because he didn't fit the the "Tulane image" and now we're considering Trooper Taylor, who has one of the dirtiest reps in the SEC.
Im gonna bet trooper took some shots on the chin to protect somebody higher up. He's a position coach, ya know?
hounddog
Low Tide

Why is his reputation dirty? Please help I am uninformed.
superwavefan
High Tide

Is this Kindergarten hour going on here or what? Trooper Taylor?! Are you kidding me! :evil:

This is a Head Coaching search correct? Not like a gimmick coach?

I'd rather a completely unknown FCS signal caller honestly. Somebody who is going to take this seriously.
AandS81
Trickle

wave to em wrote:Sooooo, I know why we don't have our coach yet. SC was involved in a different search.....for a freakin superintendent.....now that this SUPER IMPORTANT hire was made, we can shift our attention to football.
.December 2, 2011

Good Morning:
I am pleased to announce another important addition to Tulane University. Effective Jan. 17, 2012, Jon R. Barnwell will join the university community as our new superintendent of police.
Jon's hiring is the culmination of a national search, led by Senior Vice President for Operations and Chief Financial Officer Tony Lorino. This search focused on finding the candidate who could most ably lead our officers and ensure that Tulane's police continue to receive the best training, implement the best policies and employ the best practices for the safety and service of the entire Tulane community.
Jon has 15 years of experience in campus law enforcement, management and police administration. He is currently deputy chief of police at North Carolina State University, having risen through the ranks from his start as a patrol officer. Jon received a bachelor of science degree in criminal justice/criminology from Mount Olive College in North Carolina.
As superintendent, Jon will oversee the unification of the uptown, downtown and North Shore units of our police department under a single leadership. This unified force will mean better coordination, communication and allocation of resources, resulting in an even safer Tulane for everyone.
I am grateful to the search committee, which included representation from our student body, for attracting such a qualified and enthusiastic leader.
Have a great weekend,
SC an RD really like to use the phrase "national search" .....
Was this a "splash" hire? Or, was it Tier 2, 3?
superwavefan
High Tide

hounddog wrote:Why is his reputation dirty? Please help I am uninformed.
The only story I know about is when his son was kicked out of school for his chee whee hairdid. There was a lawsuit and everything. Quelle turmoil.
OUG
Riptide

Tulane: Athletic director Rick Dickson is on day forty-six of the Tulane coaching search. It should be noted that it's better to be thorough and right, than to rush and be wrong. I am told by a source close to the situation that Dickson is close to making a decision on the new head coach. Names such as Rich Rodriguez, Jeff Jagodzinski, New Orleans Saints wide receivers coach Curtis Johnson, Northwestern University offensive coordinator Mick McCall, and several head coaches have each spoken with Dickson.
http://www.nusports.com/sports/m-footbl ... ick00.html

We could do worse. I'd rather Garrick McGee, but this guy has some serious chops when it comes to running the spread, and he's running it in a league that has historically defended it very well. His time at Bowling Green as the QB coach produced two All Americans at a program that knew no success before or after his tenure there.
hounddog
Low Tide

Cool, a new name totally out of the blue, looks interesting.
DrBox
Riptide

OUG wrote:
Tulane: Athletic director Rick Dickson is on day forty-six of the Tulane coaching search. It should be noted that it's better to be thorough and right, than to rush and be wrong. I am told by a source close to the situation that Dickson is close to making a decision on the new head coach. Names such as Rich Rodriguez, Jeff Jagodzinski, New Orleans Saints wide receivers coach Curtis Johnson, Northwestern University offensive coordinator Mick McCall, and several head coaches have each spoken with Dickson.
http://www.nusports.com/sports/m-footbl ... ick00.html

We could do worse. I'd rather Garrick McGee, but this guy has some serious chops when it comes to running the spread, and he's running it in a league that has historically defended it very well. His time at Bowling Green as the QB coach produced two All Americans at a program that knew no success before or after his tenure there.
UAB, who's paying 50%-75% less than us, seems to have gotten interviews with both McGee and Petrino. And this is is 4 days after firing their coach. Of course their AD had a shortlist ready.
wave to em
Surge

Haters gon hate, lol

but seriously, how can you not rally around TROOPER TAYLOR? Anyone who is opposed, I dare you to not jump up and down when you see Trooper after we get a turnover....that is he kind of excitement TU needs.....and honestly, I know he's not the kind of "splash" we all wanted but he is a "splash" as far as popularity in the college football world....HIRE TROOPER TAYLOR.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
tnelly15
Riptide

Not my 1st choice, but I'd totally support a Trooper Taylor hire.