Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
St. Amant Wave
Ripple

I am so pissed right now. What the f**k is Rick Dickson doing? This man is totally incapable of making this hire. It's a sad state of affairs when you can't get one half ass decent assistant coach or head coach to take this job! People, we have sunk to a new low! Thank you Rick Dickson and Scott Cowen! P.S Rick or Scott, don't go to the basketball gaurday if you don't want your asses reamed out by me and a whole bunch of other fans!

ajcalhoun
Swell

Wow, I think we've sunk pretty low, but not Trooper Taylor low. However, it would be a kick to see him at Galatoire's for a Friday lunch.
God Bless Everyone!
wave to em
Surge

ajcalhoun wrote:Wow, I think we've sunk pretty low, but not Trooper Taylor low. However, it would be a kick to see him at Galatoire's at a Friday lunch.
dont get me wrong, Not my first choice right now (hudspeth) but if we are dipping into the "great recruiter" basket, im all for trooper.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

wave to em wrote: TROOPER
hes at least worth a look right?
Having played for Trooper, he is the only "recruiter" that I would endorse coming to TU. Players weren't scared of Scelfo, but Trooper sure got in your face if you f'ed up, and players respected him. He told it like it was, even if you didn't want to hear it. Awesome coach.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

wave to em wrote:
Nerky wrote:
wave to em wrote:
Nerky wrote:Has anyone thought about Jim Tressel? He would win at Tulane.
I promise you, that is a replica of another Bob Toledo. No thanks

How is Jim Tressel a replica of Bob Toledo? He's won national championships at both 1A and 1AA levels. He was on top at OSU before the whole player scandal broke. While he does have baggage, I don't know that he deserved to be fired and has probably learned from the experience. He has a better resume than ANY of the other candidates and would win at Tulane. The guy's just a proven winner at the highest level. Why not give The Sweater a look?
maybe its just me, but i would rather a younger more firey guy....the thing i hated most ab toledo was his fire and passion..he never yelled at his players, never yelled at refs ect. etc....the same goes for tressel....the only reason people wernt POed with him is because they were winning....honestly after we lost RR and ML, i just want a guy that going to get in the refs ear when theres a bad call...
I tend to agree, we probably ought to stay clear of the AARP crowd.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
highgreentide
Ripple

i could easily support trooper taylor. he knows tulane, great recruiter, great coach and a great person from what i have been told...
DrBox
Riptide

For goodness sakes, we don't need a recruiter. We need a head coach.
There are plenty of coordinators, some of whom are getting looks at lower profile schools than us (McGee at FAU, Petrino at UAB)
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:For goodness sakes, we don't need a recruiter. We need a head coach.
There are plenty of coordinators, some of whom are getting looks at lower profile schools than us (McGee at FAU, Petrino at UAB)
Trooper is an assistant head coach as well at Auburn. For real, I want a head coach, but at this point, it's slim pickins'.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Over on the TWR board, emcneilk identified an interesting candidate. Willie Fritz, head coach at Sam Houston State. SHS is ranked #1 in D1-AA, as those playoffs begin. Fritz has a 220-66 lifetime record, and has resurrected several programs that were in the ditch, including SHS, who blew most of their opponents away this year. Check him out, he's a winner and could be a diamond in the rough. He has far more successful head coaching success than most of what is left on our list.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DrBox
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:
DrBox wrote:For goodness sakes, we don't need a recruiter. We need a head coach.
There are plenty of coordinat
ors, some of whom are getting looks at lower profile schools than us (McGee at FAU, Petrino at UAB)
Trooper is an assistant head coach as well at Auburn. For real, I want a head coach, but at this point, it's slim pickins'.
Assistant head coach doesn't mean much - just some administrative stuff.
He is the last effective recruiter we had, though.
wavedat
Swell

Imagine RR/ML or any coach worth having sitting across from RD and RD starts his pitch. He says we'll pay $1.5,we will pay your assistants well, we have new academic majors for athletes, we have more academic support in place, we will accept players at NCAA levels. The coach is impressed. Then he says,"Last ,but not least I'm going to build a 25-30,000 seat stadium". Coach thinks to himself," Boy, this guy is the small minded loser everybody said he was". The OCS is absolutely a deterrent to good coaches. When they first get contacted the first positive thought they have is of the Dome. Then they hear this garbage. People are kidding themselves if they don't see how much this will hurt the program. It's a joke and a major reason this search is such a disaster. Build the damn IPF . That will impress coaches.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
Jaxwave
Swell

This is a gainesville columnist list of job openings from best to worst:

1. Penn State; 2. North Carolina; 3. Arizona State; 4. UCLA; 5. Ole Miss; 6. Kansas; 7. Illinois; 8. Alabama-Birmingham; 9. Memphis; 10. The rest.

We're perceived behind UAB and Memphis.
Highwave
Low Tide

Just FYI for those in meltdown mode, there is at least one option still in negotiation with Tulane that would please most TU fans. I'm not referring to Curtis Johnson or Mike Haywood, though they may be candidates.
murphwave
High Tide

Is this "option" in negotiation a name we are familiar with from this thread or someone new entirely?
murphwave
High Tide

Penn State is not the best available opening right now all things considered and I wouldn't consider UNC a better job than UCLA personally. Anyways....
Jaxwave wrote:This is a gainesville columnist list of job openings from best to worst:

1. Penn State; 2. North Carolina; 3. Arizona State; 4. UCLA; 5. Ole Miss; 6. Kansas; 7. Illinois; 8. Alabama-Birmingham; 9. Memphis; 10. The rest.

RWR
Swell

Names mentioned recently by various posters should be considered. Terry Bowden and Dirk Koetter. Check their records out. Bowdens especially looks better than I remembered. Didn't know Koetter was the one that got Boise rolling.
Highwave
Low Tide

Pretty sure his name has been mentioned, so not someone new entirely.
hounddog
Low Tide

Hope it is Butch Davis
wave to em
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:This is a gainesville columnist list of job openings from best to worst:

if he thinks Penn st and UNC are the top two jobs then he is not very credible to me.
i would say ASU is prob the best job availible
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
posse
High Tide

hounddog wrote:Hope it is Butch Davis
I agee..........If not Butch, I hope we do not name anyone until after this weekend games which should free up some good canidates for interviews.....Hudspeth, Freeze, Fedora, Monken, Beckman, Smart , SEC OC, OC or DC with big time program are all still there...No need to rush and make wrong hire...I think if they cut loose and offer the same package they offered to RR & ML, to one of these guys, there's a good chance we land one of them....Please don't nickle and dime these guys. What we think is bigtime money (2mil) is really coming up to reality for a legitimate coach.
tnelly15
Riptide

Trooper could probably be better than the other recruiters mentioned. He atleast had some experience as a Co-OC at Oklahoma St before he went to Auburn.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

wavedat wrote:Imagine RR/ML or any coach worth having sitting across from RD and RD starts his pitch. He says we'll pay $1.5,we will pay your assistants well, we have new academic majors for athletes, we have more academic support in place, we will accept players at NCAA levels. The coach is impressed. Then he says,"Last ,but not least I'm going to build a 25-30,000 seat stadium". Coach thinks to himself," Boy, this guy is the small minded loser everybody said he was". The OCS is absolutely a deterrent to good coaches. When they first get contacted the first positive thought they have is of the Dome. Then they hear this garbage. People are kidding themselves if they don't see how much this will hurt the program. It's a joke and a major reason this search is such a disaster. Build the damn IPF . That will impress coaches.
Thank you. A lot of folks want to ignore the elephant in the room.
ajcalhoun
Swell

wavedat wrote:Imagine RR/ML or any coach worth having sitting across from RD and RD starts his pitch. He says we'll pay $1.5,we will pay your assistants well, we have new academic majors for athletes, we have more academic support in place, we will accept players at NCAA levels. The coach is impressed. Then he says,"Last ,but not least I'm going to build a 25-30,000 seat stadium". Coach thinks to himself," Boy, this guy is the small minded loser everybody said he was". The OCS is absolutely a deterrent to good coaches. When they first get contacted the first positive thought they have is of the Dome. Then they hear this garbage. People are kidding themselves if they don't see how much this will hurt the program. It's a joke and a major reason this search is such a disaster. Build the damn IPF . That will impress coaches.
I think this is a bigger problem.
God Bless Everyone!
JTLiuzza
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Thank you. A lot of folks want to ignore the elephant in the room.
A white elephant at that.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
msdos
Swell

Highwave wrote:Pretty sure his name has been mentioned, so not someone new entirely.
here's an idea, cut the shit and say it