Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave71
Ripple

Tulanegraduate wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I was told yesterday that Tulane would have their coach sometime today. An offer went out last night with a deadline answer today. The two guys in the final interview were CJ and MH. Let the best man win the job. If no one is named today or the latest Thursday then I believe we'll have to go further down the list.
But I'm expecting something to break very soon.

I heard and posted the same thing. Y'all need to move off Leach. That way you don't come crashing down when then name one of the other two guys.

I sure hope you are wrong!! A hire such as these two will be the final nail in the coffin for Tulane Football!!!! If it is, so it be but i personnally know a handful of people who will be done like me. There's got to be someone better down the list

hounddog
Low Tide

Anybody understand Tammy's last tweet? "no coach yet, inteview process continue". Maybe everyone said no.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

hounddog wrote:Anybody understand Tammy's last tweet? "no coach yet, inteview process continue". Maybe everyone said no.
I'm willing to bet things are falling apart yet again. This whole thing is a joke.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave71 wrote: I sure hope you are wrong!! A hire such as these two will be the final nail in the coffin for Tulane Football!!!! If it is, so it be but i personnally know a handful of people who will be done like me. There's got to be someone better down the list
Same here, would love to be wrong in this case.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

hounddog wrote:Anybody understand Tammy's last tweet? "no coach yet, inteview process continue". Maybe everyone said no.
Let's hope by some chance they are getting feedback from the fanbase on this forum. The backlash from a weak hire would make some big 'Waves".
Tulane Class of 1981
murphwave
High Tide

NOLABigSteve wrote:
I'm willing to bet things are falling apart yet again. This whole thing is a joke.
Or maybe some previously closed doors re-opened? I have to think either of these 2 candidates mentioned, with no other offers, would not be sitting on the offers. Perhaps Tulane is holding out hope for someone previously offered?
OUG
Riptide

It doesn't matter how much money you have when agents are out there telling their clients that 30-odd jobs are going to come open.

RR got a BCS level job with a team that he can have in the top ten easily within three years.

ML will likely get a BCS level job.

Monken is on short lists at Kansas, Illinois, and elsewhere -- and would be in the catbirds seat for the Southern Miss job.

Tulane apparently cannot just throw money at guys in this environment. We're like the poor ugly slob with no job that walks into a bar with our poor no-job ugly friend and tries to get laid. The friend (New Mexico) finds the quiet homely girl in the corner and takes her home within 20 minutes (Bob Davie). That's one strategy. Meanwhile we walk around acting like we're going to have our choice of models and NFL cheerleaders if we just buy them enough drinks. It's last call, and these chicks just drank all our cocktails and are heading out with the tall stock brokers after saying two words to them.

This doesn't come from personal experience or anything. Just trying to fully flesh out the narrative.

Until we become a better football program, that is in a BCS conference or at least positioned to win championships we're not going to be able to buy a top-tier coach with money or anything else. Money means nothing to these guys these days -- they're all getting fired after two years if they lose. They care a lot more about being in a good situation that they feel they can win from immediately. Nobody wants to rebuild a program anymore because they don't feel like fans and administrations have patience for it, and getting fired for losing is a career killer.

So for us, we've got to hustle harder. And that's going to imply taking the first step with a coach that doesn't look like a sure think on paper. TCU didn't make their initial progress under a big name coach, they had an unheralded guy and the coach and school grew together. Ditto Boise State and every other school.

I admit I was optimistic at first too... but the sheer pace of change in the college football world these days is staggering. It is more cut-throat than ever, and the lower level BCS teams are really feeling it the most, willing to shell out huge sums of cash and facilities to give their fans the illusion of not being a cellar dweller. We're just now getting into that game, and its going to be harder than we thought.
wave to em
Surge

I would be a lot more confident in firing RD and taking the time to find a new AD and then let him make the hire.......if RD is having trouble getting Curtis Johnson to sign then he deserves to be homeless.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:It doesn't matter how much money you have when agents are out there telling their clients that 30-odd jobs are going to come open.

RR got a BCS level job with a team that he can have in the top ten easily within three years.

ML will likely get a BCS level job.

Monken is on short lists at Kansas, Illinois, and elsewhere -- and would be in the catbirds seat for the Southern Miss job.

Tulane apparently cannot just throw money at guys in this environment. We're like the poor ugly slob with no job that walks into a bar with our poor no-job ugly friend and tries to get laid. The friend (New Mexico) finds the quiet homely girl in the corner and takes her home within 20 minutes (Bob Davie). That's one strategy. Meanwhile we walk around acting like we're going to have our choice of models and NFL cheerleaders if we just buy them enough drinks. It's last call, and these chicks just drank all our cocktails and are heading out with the tall stock brokers after saying two words to them.

This doesn't come from personal experience or anything. Just trying to fully flesh out the narrative.

Until we become a better football program, that is in a BCS conference or at least positioned to win championships we're not going to be able to buy a top-tier coach with money or anything else. Money means nothing to these guys these days -- they're all getting fired after two years if they lose. They care a lot more about being in a good situation that they feel they can win from immediately. Nobody wants to rebuild a program anymore because they don't feel like fans and administrations have patience for it, and getting fired for losing is a career killer.

So for us, we've got to hustle harder. And that's going to imply taking the first step with a coach that doesn't look like a sure think on paper. TCU didn't make their initial progress under a big name coach, they had an unheralded guy and the coach and school grew together. Ditto Boise State and every other school.

I admit I was optimistic at first too... but the sheer pace of change in the college football world these days is staggering. It is more cut-throat than ever, and the lower level BCS teams are really feeling it the most, willing to shell out huge sums of cash and facilities to give their fans the illusion of not being a cellar dweller. We're just now getting into that game, and its going to be harder than we thought.
Great Post OUG!
I have a visual on that one!
Tulane finally gets it's woman, only to find out once under the covers it's not quite that....... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Tulane Class of 1981
superwavefan
High Tide

murphwave wrote:Why was Dickson not at the alumni tailgate at the Rice game (presumably due to the search), but was able to make the Hawaii journey?

superwavefan wrote:This was jacked on so many levels. At the Rice game it was intimated that we had excellent 1 and 2 (RR/ML) and then an excellent coord for #3. They seriously did not consider it would have to go beyond that. I feel for Scott Slatten, because only Tulane can manage to invent more extraordinary ways to screw up a head start with more money.
I don't recall seeing him in Houston.
TURVS71
Swell

Waiting for the TU coach to be named is like a painful breach birth!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
galvezwave
Swell

OMG!! 10 -12 days ago we thought this was a circus. If it was then, what would you call this?? :shock:
Wave71
Ripple

St. Amant Wave wrote:Twave, are you serious?

Yes really. I'm with you on this one St.Amant wave. Sounds like delusional sh** you hear on YOGWF. Some people are just clueless!! You have to excuse them St. Amant Wave.
Twave
Ripple

Wave71 wrote:

Yes really. I'm with you on this one St.Amant wave. Sounds like delusional sh** you hear on YOGWF. Some people are just clueless!! You have to excuse them St. Amant Wave.
It seems some of you are the clueless ones. Look I'm no Cowen or Dickson fan, but I can seperate my opinions of them from what is happening now. sslatten knows exactly what was offered to Rich Rodriguez and it was more than some BCS coaches make. They also gave him a blessing on most of his request for the program.

Some of you are so blinded by your hatred for these two that you can't help but believe every little rumor that comes across this board. I signed up here today because it was an alternative to the sensored cult, but I'm retiring from here for good after reading some of these suicidal posts.
sader24
Tsunami

Twave takes his ball and goes home after 1 day. What's with all of you "in the know" doing the same song and dance. You keep coming on here, blinded by what the 2 up top are selling you, telling us Cowen and Dickson are doing everything they can and when we disagree you quit. Does anyone else here see why nothing gets done? Anytime our boosters put pressure on Dickson or Cowen they sell them a new line of B.S. and they buy it hook, line, and sinker. These are the facts: Cowen has created this, he hired Scelfo, he initiated the review, he has destroyed Tulane football. Dickson has yet to make a successful coaching hire, Conroy may very well be it, but as of now he's 0 for everything. He's been played by numerous coaches throughout this search who were looking to get their name out there to drum up interest but not willing to take the job. Let me tell you something, what people are calling "recanting" isnt recanting. It's guys who never had any intention of taking the job anyway. Whatever we are selling, NOBODY is buying except a few high level boosters. It's these same high level boosters who shoved Chris Scelfo up our a##. How many things do these 2 idiots have to screw up before we stop giving them 2nd, 3rd, and 12th chances? They went to Hawaii for 5 days with no coach.
baldboy
Low Tide

Listen, CJ could be a great "asset" to us because of his obvious connections. Also, could or would anyone in media really belittle him as our coach(initially) since he comes from our world champion, very well liked around the world, New Orleans Saints? The potential for getting local talent with this guy is off the charts. Remember, if we even got some of the 3rd or 4th tier recruits from LSU or other CUSA schools who routinely raid our fertile grounds we would be competing year in year out easily. The key to this scenario is Tulane MUST commit to full success of program. How stupid would it be to give limitations on a splash hire? Now think of how stupid it would be to hogtie a lesser known coach like CJ. I truly believe, IF Tulane was ALL IN on any of these recently discussed coaches we will win! But, to have a guy like CJas your head coach, remember he has a multitude of high level connections on speed dial at his disposal. Hey Drew can you come talk to this kid for me, hey Joe Horn can you take a ride to this kids house so we can ink the deal? Allright Joe I'll throw in lunch on SC. That sort of thing will happen if we get CJ. The local high school coaches and media will give him a nice honeymoon, which we desparately need. The big thing with any coach that worries me almost more than the name is getting OC and DC of high caliber to come. I am fully disgusted with RD and SC but I won't let that skew my vision for a great future for our program.

I will say, the Hawaii trip without a coach in hand is unforgivable. The Board should let this play out with the coach and demand RD be terminated. If SC won't do it the board should relieve SC of his duties and really prove to everyone that this shit won't be tolerated. Then you would see a huge influx of support from community around this new coach and the plans, ie stadium, conferance etc.
Last edited by baldboy on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyWave
Riptide

We probably need an AD before we can hire a coach!
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Twave wrote:It seems some of you are the clueless ones. Look I'm no Cowen or Dickson fan, but I can seperate my opinions of them from what is happening now. sslatten knows exactly what was offered to Rich Rodriguez and it was more than some BCS coaches make. They also gave him a blessing on most of his request for the program.

Some of you are so blinded by your hatred for these two that you can't help but believe every little rumor that comes across this board. I signed up here today because it was an alternative to the sensored cult, but I'm retiring from here for good after reading some of these suicidal posts.
Go ahead and settle for mediocrity. Look where it's gotten us. Actually, I think you would quite enjoy YOGWF.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
wave to em
Surge

Twave wrote:
Wave71 wrote:

It seems some of you are the clueless ones. Look I'm no Cowen or Dickson fan, but I can seperate my opinions of them from what is happening now. sslatten knows exactly what was offered to Rich Rodriguez and it was more than some BCS coaches make. They also gave him a blessing on most of his request for the program.

If you cant take other people's opinion on Tulane athletics maybe you shouldn't post on this board....people are just telling it like it is twave. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean you have to go all "I am better than this board and will not post here anymore"......we all want what's best for Tulane, and mostly everyone knows that RD and SC have never been successful here. Don't be mad at other posters, be mad at SC and RD.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
TURVS71
Swell

"I signed up here today because it was an alternative to the sensored cult, but I'm retiring from here for good after reading some of these suicidal posts."

Twave , that's your perogative, but, your statements contradict. "We are an alternative to the censored cult, yet you are leaving for good after reading some of the "suicidal" posts. Those "suicidal" posts ARE UNCENSORED and someone's opinion. So, there is your contradiction.

More discussion and release of info has taken place on this board in the past 12 months than any other Tulane fan forum.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
baldboy
Low Tide

Unlike yesterday, I actually feel better about no news today. I think it could be a good thing potentially. We should almost wait it out at this point because good coaches might not be picked up by the schools they truly wanted, leaving us looking a little more palatable.
OUG
Riptide

I don't agree with the majority viewpoint on this forum on most things. I think that goes without saying, actually. I strive to be fairminded, and I try to be critical of assumptions and 'groupthink' when I see them.

With the exception of run-ins with one or two folks on this forum, I feel pretty welcome to post my thoughts even though they often don't mesh with the consensus. I can take the heat, and I can dish it out, that comes with the territory. The most important thing though is that unlike YOGWF, I won't get my thoughts deleted for disagreeing with the individual who runs the site, and I won't get lectured by him either. Steve's not going to call me an idiot and clueless and a bandwagon fan if I don't agree with him -- JtS will (and then he'll have 5 or 10 acolytes agreeing with him afterwards). And I'm not going to get banned from participating for violating rules that are intentionally designed to box in discussion along the lines of the owner's views.

So it isn't even comparable. One can always choose not to post here. Several of us don't even have the option of posting on YOGWF because of past disagreements with the dude who runs it. Night and day.
Wave71
Ripple

baldboy wrote:Unlike yesterday, I actually feel better about no news today. I think it could be a good thing potentially. We should almost wait it out at this point because good coaches might not be picked up by the schools they truly wanted, leaving us looking a little more palatable.

I agree. At this point with the scary name canidates (CJ,MH) out there, no news is good news!!!
sader24
Tsunami

Not saying I dont agree with you baldboy, but its pretty bad when we're cheering for no announcement b/c the candidates are so uninspiring. Can we hire Tommy Bowden for 2 weeks at $250K and let him make the hire? It would be worth the money. Rick Dickson needs a pinch hitter in the worst way or should I say a Closer.
jimcorbett
Ripple

Twave can best be described as a "grenade thrower". With the exception of a few seasons Tulane fans have experienced 60 years of consistent losing - but both the school adm and the "insiders" insist we're to continue to keep our opinions to ourselves and sit on our hands - and ... continue to donate $ to the tulane athletic fund ..