Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RWR
Swell

TrkWave wrote:
RWR wrote:Neither do you OUG. It seems all you want to do is come here and tell everyone how much smarter and mature you are than they are. Maybe you should start your own site. Oh, that's right you did. It failed. Maybe you need to grow up and realize that message boards serve as a place for fans to vent and let's be honest no one has more to vent about and w/good reason than Tulane fans. I hope we get Leach but if we do anyone w/any intelligence will know it was much more a matter of Leach having no other option for the 2nd year in a row than it has to do w/RD.
So even if RD gets him, it has nothing to do with RD? This whole cutting off the nose to spite the face thing is getting outrageous.
We'd be much better off in the future if we could cut RD off. What he's done to this athletic dept. is outrageous.

Robert1969
Riptide

wave to em wrote:Pete rousell from coaching search said this about 2 hours ago..

Tulane AD Rick Dickson couldn't be farther away from Mike Leach (Hawaii vs. Key West), but he may be closer than ever before.
Where'd he say it at? Was this a tweet?
TU23
High Tide

Yes, a tweet.
RWR
Swell

OUG wrote:
RWR wrote:Neither do you OUG. It seems all you want to do is come here and tell everyone how much smarter and mature you are than they are. Maybe you should start your own site. Oh, that's right you did. It failed. Maybe you need to grow up and realize that message boards serve as a place for fans to vent and let's be honest no one has more to vent about and w/good reason than Tulane fans. I hope we get Leach but if we do anyone w/any intelligence will know it was much more a matter of Leach having no other option for the 2nd year in a row than it has to do w/RD.
All I'm pointing out is where I think we're making huge assumptions.

I was saying months ago that RD should be fired. And I've done my share of venting. If you have a problem with my reasoning above let me know what it is. But the above came off poorly.
Due to the continued cone of silence all we can do is make assumptions based on our history.

My post was a response to an accumulation of your posts. You are always critiquing how everyone else post. You even did it in this post. Just concern yourself w/your own post.
Robert1969
Riptide

OUG
Riptide

RWR wrote:
OUG wrote:
All I'm pointing out is where I think we're making huge assumptions.

I was saying months ago that RD should be fired. And I've done my share of venting. If you have a problem with my reasoning above let me know what it is. But the above came off poorly.
Due to the continued cone of silence all we can do is make assumptions based on our history.

My post was a response to an accumulation of your posts. You are always critiquing how everyone else post. You even did it in this post. Just concern yourself w/your own post.
It's a discussion forum; there are buttons marked "quote" and "reply". If you have an issue with me personally you can PM me, or maybe you can request that Steve add an "ignore" feature. Let's try and stay on topic here though. This is my last post on the matter.
TrkWave
Ripple

Footballrumormill.com is saying that Hudspeth has emerged as our frontrunner.

http://www.footballrumormill.com/
wave to em
Surge

TrkWave wrote:Footballrumormill.com is saying that Hudspeth has emerged as our frontrunner.

College football coaching news reporting that it's down to two.......HIRE MIKE LEACH

cfcoachingnews Mathew Pistole
Most whispers considering Tulane right now are Mark Hudspeth and Mike Leach.....Hudspeth is my guess as of right now.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
OGSB
Swell

After browsing raginpagin.com UL-Laf fans seem oblivious that their coach is interviewing around.
Livin' rent free
OUG
Riptide

http://www.coachingsearch.com/home/85-w ... -fans.html

Great vid of Hudspeth.

That offseason program at the beginning is just what we need. Leach makes a bigger splash, but they'd both be great hires. Our team is way too soft.
TU882
Ripple

Saw this posted in the LSU board with regard to the Ole Miss job.
Sat behind Archie yesterday. Told him I hope he makes a terrible decision.

Super nice guy. Asked about Leach. Said Leach is who the fans want but no way he would mesh with administration and donors.

Also asked about Sumlin. He said Sumlin really wanted the Arizona job and that he wasn't interested in Ole Miss. I was surprised but he said Sumlin is concerned with the racial aspect.

He said they have contacted a number of candidates but won't really start interviewing till after this weekend. I was shocked with how open and seemingly honest he was. He was really enjoying the atmosphere of the game.
I hope this is right and we don't have to worry about Ole Miss pulling an Arizona on us with regard to Leach.
Wavetime
Swell

Impressive Hudspeth video.
galvezwave
Swell

With regards to hudspeth, is this his first year at ull? If so, is he not winning with bustles players? Just wondering, can the guy recruit. Bustle got alot of credit for upgrading the talent over there.
greenie2005
Ripple

If he is anything like Mullen at Miss State I think he would be awesome. The exact opposite of buffet Bob on the sidelines.
wave to em
Surge

The only way this search won't be a complete fail is if we land either LEACH, LEACH, LEACH, hudspeth or maybe haywood.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TrkWave wrote:Footballrumormill.com is saying that Hudspeth has emerged as our frontrunner.

He's at least the 5th frontrunner that's been named/rumored by someone in the media.

RR
Leach
Haywood
Jagodzinski
Hudspeth
DrBox
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:With regards to hudspeth, is this his first year at ull? If so, is he not winning with bustles players? Just wondering, can the guy recruit. Bustle got alot of credit for upgrading the talent over there.
Yes, he basically is winning with Bustle's players and it is his first year. The thing about Hudspeth is that he has some background - he was a division 2 head coach at N Alabama for a number of years. He was a savvy hire by ULL - get a position coach with head coaching experience for their limited budget.
OUG
Riptide

Plus, the idea that he won immediately with a losing team seems like it would be a positive. We don't have time to wait for a slow rebuild.

I can't imagine Hudspeth is a bad recruiter. He is very charismatic, and seems like a winner. Has that 'x factor' that makes him relateable to student athletes at the same time as being able to work a room of alumni. High energy.

We've been fixated on two guys because they are brand names. But Hudspeth will be a brand name some day.
ExileWave
Surge

Football Rumor Mill also saying that Monday is shaping up to be a bloodbath for coaches. Possibly Tennessee, Az State...
We may be looking at a Tier 4-5 candidate by the time this shakes out and depending on jobs that open up. RD and SC should have wrapped this up a long time ago- despite the money thrown at RR we are not a good looking prospect for good coaches. The longer they delay...the lower my expectations. Hope I am VERY wrong.
Wavetime
Swell

His video shows his fire. If we can not get Leach, a young, energetic coach with fire is a must.
RWR
Swell

My post was a response to an accumulation of your posts. You are always critiquing how everyone else post. You even did it in this post. Just concern yourself w/your own post.[/quote]

It's a discussion forum; there are buttons marked "quote" and "reply". If you have an issue with me personally you can PM me, or maybe you can request that Steve add an "ignore" feature. Let's try and stay on topic here though. This is my last post on the matter.[/quote]

It was on topic. No one can do anything but act on assumptions due to the secrecy. Those assumptions are based on the history of those in charge. Simple as that.
OUG
Riptide

ExileWave wrote:Football Rumor Mill also saying that Monday is shaping up to be a bloodbath for coaches. Possibly Tennessee, Az State...
We may be looking at a Tier 4-5 candidate by the time this shakes out and depending on jobs that open up. RD and SC should have wrapped this up a long time ago- despite the money thrown at RR we are not a good looking prospect for good coaches. The longer they delay...the lower my expectations. Hope I am VERY wrong.
Possibly. But you also have to consider that the schools in the market for coaches will have much longer "tier 1" lists than we will, including names that probably weren't within reach for us. Some of those names will be top coordinators. For instance, you would think that the Tennesee's of the world will have their pick of current non-BCS head coaches as well as lower-level BCS guys (like Art Briles, Mike London, etc). The schools that we can't compete with for coaching talent... Well, frankly, we're not going to be competing with.

And FWIW, I don't think there is such a thing as Tier five, just a bunch of tier 3 unpalattable guys we don't want. But I take your point.

However, while we haven't hired a coach yet and it seems like its taken a long time, it is very atypical to see coaches hired in-season. Arizona is the only job that has been filled. Ole Miss is still interviewing, UNC is still interviewing, etc.

I believe that we'll have a coach next week and that it will be the best "resume" hire we've had in decades, including Bowden.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

ExileWave wrote:Football Rumor Mill also saying that Monday is shaping up to be a bloodbath for coaches. Possibly Tennessee, Az State...
Very good point. Coaching positions are going to open up very soon and possibly, probably some positions at some fairly high-profile programs and then when those programs make offers to the people that they want to bring in the whole domino effect will start and then it's a situation of anyone's guess as to what will transpire.

If some coach is an ambitious up-and-comer at some lower level program they may well to enjoy having good opportunities come their way.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
DrBox
Riptide

Fred Dowler wrote:
If some coach is an ambitious up-and-comer at some lower level program they may well to enjoy having good opportunities come their way.
yea, if they want to wait a month and take a chance.
And we're a good opportunity for a GOOD coach...we've launched a lot more coaches than most schools. Period.
RWR
Swell

If we don't get Leach Hudspeth would be at the top of the next group of coaches we should consider. A lot of success as a HC and certainly familiar w/our area of recruiting. If it's not Leach I hope it's him.