Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Hell...Nutt can not even beat anyone in the SEC east...Vandy kicked his azz this year..he won with Ed O's players...U knew he was desperate when he took on Masoli...that should tell ya all ya need to know...

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tnelly15
Riptide

austxwave wrote:there are worse candidates.

Except for the last 2 years, he's been a winner. Ole Miss is a tough job. They have no layups in the SEC West.

If we end up with Nutt, I would not be upset.
It'd be one thing if just the SEC was beating up on him, but he got blown out by LA Tech a couple weeks ago and that terrible loss to Jacksonville St. last year.
Sure Nutt has been a winner in the past, but even when he had some of the most talented players in the country he was good for 4 losses.
austxwave
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote:Hell...Nutt can not even beat anyone in the SEC east...Vandy kicked his azz this year..he won with Ed O's players...U knew he was desperate when he took on Masoli...that should tell ya all ya need to know...
Even if we admit he won with Ed O's players, he still coached them to 2 bowl games in his first 2 seasons. He had a bad year this year...maybe he's not a good recruiter? Maybe they had injuries this year?

Mack Brown was 5-7 last year, does that mean you wouldn't want him either? (i'm not saying we're hiring either, i'm just showing that a coach can put 1-2 bad years together sometimes)
tnelly15
Riptide

He is or atleast was a very good recruiter, not really sure what his problem is now. Not saying he couldnt win here, but he's 6-17 over the past two years I'd like to stay away from that.
DrBox
Riptide

Houton Nutt is an insanely bad choice....very poor recruiter who lost his fire.. Come on Rick dickson.

Anyoone notice how our search seems to exclude working head coaches in FBS
ajcalhoun
Swell

DrBox wrote:Houton Nutt is an insanely bad choice....very poor recruiter who lost his fire.. Come on Rick dickson.
I totally agree.
God Bless Everyone!
wave to em
Surge

I want mike leach just as much as the next guy and I know that I have openly said NO HAYWOOD, but I have mentioned his resume is a good one and he sure knows how to fire up his teams. I could rally around Haywood

.......Don't get me wrong though, this guy comes first!

And if you don't mind a little cursing I highly recommend watching the "mike leach after baylor" video.......it's EXACTLY what someone needs to be telling a college football team. HIRE MIKE LEACH.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
sprout1550
Trickle

Ole Miss football under Nutt has been horrendous and his biggest problem is he can't control the kids. Have you seen how many suspensions, arrests, etc have occurred under his watch. The players are out of control, fail drug tests, etc. A friend's son played for him last year and said that there is no discipline, respect, etc.

We do not need someone like Nutt at Tulane.
sader24
Tsunami

We've already went the Houston Nutt direction, it was called the Bob Toledo era. Mike Leach, Manny Diaz, Mark Hudspeth, anyone else?
sader24
Tsunami

I dont know, I cant see Texas hiring a coordinator. They are going to spend a minimum $6 million on their next head coach and 38yr old Coordinators dont get that. I would think the Texas List goes as follows, Mike Gundy, Chip Kelly, Les Miles, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, etc. Alot of rumors of throwing $10 mill per year at Saban, I dont believe that will happen but its too big of a job to go to a young DC. Its the best job in the country.
OUG
Riptide

sader24 wrote:We've already went the Houston Nutt direction, it was called the Bob Toledo era. Mike Leach, Manny Diaz, Mark Hudspeth, anyone else?
As I said before, there are plenty of great candidates out there once we're open to looking seriously at current coordinators. My gut tells me that most winning FBS head coaches won't want to come to Tulane if they're in a good situation right now that will land them a job in the BCS in a year (Hudspeth, Freeze). But if we are willing to look at guys like Garrick McGee, Chad Morris, Manny Diaz... There's a lot of talent there. Those are great choices, and they are an improvement over the types of guys we have considered in the past. Scelfo was an unheralded OL coach from a decent but not great UGA program. Toledo was the OC at New Mexico.

If you give guys like Monken, McGee, etc, real resources -- they can be the next great thing and build something of their own at Tulane.
DrBox
Riptide

I like all of ur suggestions OUG. I just get the feeling that if it isn't Leach it will be a 3rd yier candidate because of this self imposed deadline.

Scelfo didn't have near the credentials of our 2nd tier candidates (your list) nor most of out 3rd tier. Hr was hired because his brother, a significant donor, talked cowen into it. Really stupid because his other brother Frank might have been our OC coordinator anyway and be head coach right now after learning from someone who knew what they were doing, RR.
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:Sader.. I doubt that Manny will end up at Tulane...Mack will not allow that to happen..besides...Mack is on hs way out of Austin and Manny is in line for the job
Where do you get this idea that Mack Brown doesn't like Tulane? You've intimated it a couple of times
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Sader...Will Muschamp was the designated coach in waiting here at Texas..but Mack decided to coach another few years and the Florida job came open..Muschamp's job here at Texas..DC !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Docta...I never said mack does not like Tulane..but he is not going advise one of his coachs to take the Tulane job as long as Cowen and Dickson are in place, or there is evidence that Cowen has had a change in philosophy as to how Athletics can help Tulane. The 2003 "review' left a lasting impression on Mack..now I wonder how I got that letter advising Texas that Tulane would be dropping Football or moving to Div 3...... I will have to rack my crown royal soaked brain to remember just who allowed that letter to be given to me at the golf course, so I could make a call to the Tulane Athletic dept
Wavetime
Swell

I have family that lives in Colombus, Ohio and attend Miami of Ohio. They are high on Haywood. Maybe he is the best thing since sliced bread,,,but I am just not sold. Can someone out there convince me that he is a solid choice? I feel so much more comfortable with Diaz, Applewhite, Hudspeth, Freeze, etc.......

Assuming Leach is not our choice...
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Applewhite ?!?!?...why the he11 would we want a running backs coach as our next HC...Mack is smart enough not to allow the good Major anywhere near the OC game planning !!!!!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Something to consider about all this Big 12 talk. If we aren't picking Leach b/c of the Big 12 pipe dream we are crazy. Who's to say Texas, TT, Ok and Ok St. Wdont go to Pac 12 in the near future. Who's to say Oklahoma doesnt end up in the SEC. The only thing we have control of in this situation is doing our best to succeed on the field and make ourselves more attractive. We need a good coach to do that. I cant see the Big 12 turning us down based on the hiring of Mike Leach. That seems crazy to me. We need to win NOW, if we hire a half a## coach and continue losing we have no shot at moving up at all.
Yes, not hiring Leach due to anything Big 12 related is insane. 1) Coaches usually don't stay more than 5 years, 2) the ACC would/should be interested in a strong Tulane program, 3) the SEC (gulp, yes) should be interested in a strong Tulane program as a defensive maneuver, 4) It's all moot if we screw up this hire.

Once again, the course of action is obvious, but a feeling of terror looms given the morons we have in charge of this process.
Wavetime
Swell

Golfnut, Applewhite was the OC at Rice under Graham and at Alabama under Saban. He currently is the RB coach at Texas,,,but also the Co-OC there. He's from BR and always has had success.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wavetime... I live in Austin....if he was such a wiz bang OC at Bama, why the he11 did he come back to Austin as a RB coach..because Saban wanted him gone !!!!..and after watching Texas this year, anyone that has anything to do with offense needs to be fired !!!..Gawd, the populace is talking of the good ole day's, with Greg Davis !!!!
Show Me
Tsunami

Word out of Hawaii, no leak of a coach yet. RD laying low and quiet. Tier 2 - 3 now seems more likely. Apparently no one worth while seems to want this job. Similiar to the last searches in football and basketball. I wouldn't trust the dynamic duos either. Sad when you've got big money in hand and still can't get a tier 1 guy.
Jaxwave
Swell

Show Me wrote: Apparently no one worth while seems to want this job. Similiar to the last searches in football and basketball.
This is exactly where we stand today in Div I athletics. I firmly believe that Tulane University at this very moment in time one of the 5 the worst Div I athletic program in the country. As I asked a couple of weeks ago in a title thread ,"Would you take this job?" What anybody worth their salt knows is that you will be laughed at by the college football world if you are a good coach and take this job. A lot like in recruiting. Players get laughed at when they sign with Tulane unless that was the best offer they had in most cases.

We are going to end up with a coach that would never have been approached by anyone else for a Head coaching job and he'll only take it to get set for life with a 5 year $1 million contract.
Last edited by Jaxwave on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:Word out of Hawaii, no leak of a coach yet. RD laying low and quiet. Tier 2 - 3 now seems more likely. Apparently no one worth while seems to want this job. Similiar to the last searches in football and basketball. I wouldn't trust the dynamic duos either. Sad when you've got big money in hand and still can't get a tier 1 guy.
Dickson is in Hawaii while we are still trying to woo Leach? Wow.

He not only needs to be fired but punched in the nose.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:Word out of Hawaii, no leak of a coach yet. RD laying low and quiet. Tier 2 - 3 now seems more likely. Apparently no one worth while seems to want this job. Similiar to the last searches in football and basketball. I wouldn't trust the dynamic duos either. Sad when you've got big money in hand and still can't get a tier 1 guy.
Of course he's laying low, he's on a paid vacation.
OUG
Riptide

As long as we took our shot, I'm ok with getting tier 2 guys. It isn't settling if you reach by applying to Harvard and Yale and ends up at Cornell. The so-called tier 2 guys this time would be tier 1 misses for us in other cycles. Non BCS really puts a ceiling on us.

A top assistant (Broyles award nominee) would still be a strong hire.