Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wavedat
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
wavedat wrote:If we are going to get Monken you have to hope Fedora doesn't leave USM. Otherwise that is where Monken will end up. So we'll probably get Beckman which isn't bad as far as tier 2 candidates go.
Not so sure about this. Without a doubt, Tulane has more upside potential than USM ever will. If you notice, they've had 18 consecutive winning seasons and ten straight bowl appearances. They can't even get an overture from a BCS conference. Where would we be with the same credentials? We'd already be in the Big 12, if not the ACC or SEC.
We don't have those credentials and that's the point. Furthermore Monken has seen an OK. St. asst. go there and win. Plus he'll have the type of players there that fit his system since they are already running it. We have to deal w/reality and that says our program is one of the absolute worst and it a national laughingstock.

Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
RobertM320
Green Wave

wavedat wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
wavedat wrote:If we are going to get Monken you have to hope Fedora doesn't leave USM. Otherwise that is where Monken will end up. So we'll probably get Beckman which isn't bad as far as tier 2 candidates go.
Not so sure about this. Without a doubt, Tulane has more upside potential than USM ever will. If you notice, they've had 18 consecutive winning seasons and ten straight bowl appearances. They can't even get an overture from a BCS conference. Where would we be with the same credentials? We'd already be in the Big 12, if not the ACC or SEC.
We don't have those credentials and that's the point. Furthermore Monken has seen an OK. St. asst. go there and win. Plus he'll have the type of players there that fit his system since they are already running it. We have to deal w/reality and that says our program is one of the absolute worst and it a national laughingstock.

So, the other approach is to get any coach in here that can lift us off the bottom of the barrel, and THEN go for the big splash after he leaves? I was pretty much under the impression from everyone here we don't have that much time left. If we're THAT bad, then we need to overpay. Sort of like the Saints used to have to overpay to get a good free agent to New Orleans. Offer Leach $3.5 million. See what happens. Be all in, win or bust!.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

Monken is probably a result of the search firm they are using. He must match the criteria that was set forth. I would pay Monken an incentive laden contract and hire Mike Stoops for DC at $1 million per. That would show me commitment. Get a Big Time DC in here.
galvezwave
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:Monken is probably a result of the search firm they are using. He must match the criteria that was set forth. I would pay Monken an incentive laden contract and hire Mike Stoops for DC at $1 million per. That would show me commitment. Get a Big Time DC in here.
Looks like he's building up some juice. Has ole miss cooled on freeze?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ole Miss has cooled on Freeze...the Tuhoy's must be pizzed...that is the high school coach from "The Blind Side" and their good freind
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

Monken is not that "Splash" that I want, nor probably 90% of us want. But it looks as if we are relagated to tier II coaches.

I'll say this much from the little that I do know. Tulane should run the spread offense due to our lack of ability to really get 3 - 5 star OL's. Monken deliver's that, Heywood doesn't. Plus, Monken is a college coach with local experience (albiet only 1 year) and NFL experience. I'm leaning towards him moreso then Heywood.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wavetime wrote:Monken is not that "Splash" that I want, nor probably 90% of us want. But it looks as if we are relagated to tier II coaches.

I'll say this much from the little that I do know. Tulane should run the spread offense due to our lack of ability to really get 3 - 5 star OL's. Monken deliver's that, Heywood doesn't. Plus, Monken is a college coach with local experience (albiet only 1 year) and NFL experience. I'm leaning towards him moreso then Heywood.
Definitely agree with Monken over Haywood.

Regarding Stoops as DC: Can you really focus on defense in CUSA? The conference is designed to outscore other people. Is there anyone who wins consistently in CUSA because of defense?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wavetime
Swell

Don't know if this was already posted. Explains many things....a good read on Leach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html
greenphantom
Swell

Defense still wins CUSA championships for the most part. The last 4 conference champs have had strong defenses - Central Florida (twice) and ECU (twice).
Tulanegraduate
Ripple

Anything coming from ESPN about ML is tainted
ExileWave
Surge

It amazes me how fast so many are settling for the Tier 2/3 probable hire. Three days ago we thought RR was a lock. Now we are down to Asst. coaches. Aren't we paying a company to bring in the BIG SPLASH! We were assured that was the case- by Scott and Travis Goff. What happened- did SC's reputation for deceit and self-service kill that? If RD is going to Hawaii and we have no coach he should be fired for breach of contract. THAT is his job and he has been a miserable failure at it since his arrival. WE CANNOT SETTLE. Or it is the same Tulane Model that has killed this program.
OUG
Riptide

ExileWave wrote:It amazes me how fast so many are settling for the Tier 2/3 probable hire. Three days ago we thought RR was a lock. Now we are down to Asst. coaches. Aren't we paying a company to bring in the BIG SPLASH! We were assured that was the case- by Scott and Travis Goff. What happened- did SC's reputation for deceit and self-service kill that? If RD is going to Hawaii and we have no coach he should be fired for breach of contract. THAT is his job and he has been a miserable failure at it since his arrival. WE CANNOT SETTLE. Or it is the same Tulane Model that has killed this program.
That's life.

It's not settling. Settling would be if we never interviewed and offered RR and ML.

But when they say no... Come on bro, who else out there that will come to Tulane will make a "splash"?

In the past decade, Tulane has never even put together competitive offers for guys like that. But it takes two to tango. We made a serious run at it and it didn't work, so we move down the list.

I'm sorry, but you just sound like you're whining that the hot girl shot us down after leading us on for a bit. We don't have the luxury of whining, we have to move on and ask the next best looking girl.
austxwave
High Tide

OUG wrote:
ExileWave wrote:It amazes me how fast so many are settling for the Tier 2/3 probable hire. Three days ago we thought RR was a lock. Now we are down to Asst. coaches. Aren't we paying a company to bring in the BIG SPLASH! We were assured that was the case- by Scott and Travis Goff. What happened- did SC's reputation for deceit and self-service kill that? If RD is going to Hawaii and we have no coach he should be fired for breach of contract. THAT is his job and he has been a miserable failure at it since his arrival. WE CANNOT SETTLE. Or it is the same Tulane Model that has killed this program.
That's life.

It's not settling. Settling would be if we never interviewed and offered RR and ML.

But when they say no... Come on bro, who else out there that will come to Tulane will make a "splash"?

In the past decade, Tulane has never even put together competitive offers for guys like that. But it takes two to tango. We made a serious run at it and it didn't work, so we move down the list.

I'm sorry, but you just sound like you're whining that the hot girl shot us down after leading us on for a bit. We don't have the luxury of whining, we have to move on and ask the next best looking girl.
Do we know that Leach said no?
OUG
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Monken is probably a result of the search firm they are using. He must match the criteria that was set forth. I would pay Monken an incentive laden contract and hire Mike Stoops for DC at $1 million per. That would show me commitment. Get a Big Time DC in here.
Monken doesn't seem like the result of a search firm.

You don't need a search firm to tell you to interview the Offensive Coordinator of the most prolific offense in college football.

Search firms give you guys like Mike Haywood and Jagodzinski, guys that aren't currently relevant and are below the radar.

Also, I think there's a misconception about search firms. They exist to widen your net, and bring you names you may not have considered. They also do some of the logisitical work in coordinating interviews and communicating with candidates. They don't run the search, they don't narrow down any lists, etc. Rick Dickson controls the process. The search firm is a due diligence tool, and we shouldn't be focused on it. That's how people like Tammy get fooled into thinking that our list includes three current MAC coaches.
ExileWave
Surge

OUG wrote:

You don't need a search firm to tell you to interview the Offensive Coordinator of the most prolific offense in college football.

Search firms give you guys like Mike Haywood and Jagodzinski, guys that aren't currently relevant and are below the radar.

Also, I think there's a misconception about search firms. They exist to widen your net, and bring you names you may not have considered. They also do some of the logisitical work in coordinating interviews and communicating with candidates. They don't run the search, they don't narrow down any lists, etc. Rick Dickson controls the process. The search firm is a due diligence tool, and we shouldn't be focused on it. That's how people like Tammy get fooled into thinking that our list includes three current MAC coaches.
You nailed the problem OUG- Thank You! And I am not whining- just not lowering my expectations. We would all be unemployed if we did whatever business the way these clowns run Tulane. It is 40 years of embarrassment and wasted money and time I am "whining" about.
ExileWave
Surge

ExileWave wrote:
OUG wrote:

You nailed the problem OUG- Thank You! And I am not whining about being turned down- just not lowering my expectations. We would all be unemployed if we did whatever business the way these clowns run Tulane. It is 40 years of embarrassment and wasted money and time I am "whining" about.
DrBox
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
Regarding Stoops as DC: Can you really focus on defense in CUSA? The conference is designed to outscore other people. Is there anyone who wins consistently in CUSA because of defense?
Yes you can; that's how you become elite and raise your level: by playing defense.
TU23
High Tide

austxwave wrote:Do we know that Leach said no?
I asked someone that runs footballcoachingsearch about this and he said that Leach hasn't been offered anything and that we "haven't made up our mind" on him yet. There are no offers currently out according to this person. Take it for what it's worth. He has a ton of connections in the coaching world and broke the news on well over half of the hires last year before anyone else.
OUG
Riptide

austxwave wrote:
OUG wrote:
That's life.

Do we know that Leach said no?
You'll never "know" because we're not going to give a second guy the opportunity to say no to us as publically as RR did. That would be stupid.

But the report above that ML may not be ready to commit right now to us and wants to see what else is out there -- that report feels credible to me. And at this point in the search, that's as good as a no. We're not going to give him a week to shop around an offer like we did RR.

I think some folks have it backwards, thinking that unless we see a story in the paper saying that Mike Leach told us "no", then we should assume that Rick Dickson isn't doing his job.

In fact, if we see a story in the paper that says Mike Leach told us no, I'll be livid because he is not doing his job.

A second public rejection makes every other decent hire (Freeze, Monken, whomever) that much more difficult.

Some people are never going to get over the disappointment of shooting for and missing on Rich Rod. To me, I'm glad we took the shot, but right now, we need to move on.
Last edited by OUG on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
plr90
Ripple

I am not really excited about the options being discussed right now with RR gone and Leach not seeming to be a realistic option. I was wondering last night about a name I haven't heard connected to Tulane or any other school for that matter: Phillip Fulmer. I know he's older, but he has a reputation as a tremendous recruiter, and with the right resources, could likely assemble a great staff and basically groom a successor. I know he wouldn't be the same kind of "splash" coach RR or ML would be, but at this point, why not kick the tires?
OUG
Riptide

plr90 wrote:I am not really excited about the options being discussed right now with RR gone and Leach not seeming to be a realistic option. I was wondering last night about a name I haven't heard connected to Tulane or any other school for that matter: Phillip Fulmer. I know he's older, but he has a reputation as a tremendous recruiter, and with the right resources, could likely assemble a great staff and basically groom a successor. I know he wouldn't be the same kind of "splash" coach RR or ML would be, but at this point, why not kick the tires?
No.

You know, we've all been focused on this "splash" scenario for so long that its worth remembering for a minute that there are more important criteria for a coaching hire than whether or not the casual fan has heard of the guy.
plr90
Ripple

I can understand not wanting to hire Fulmer OUG but I wonder what crucial criteria he fails to meet that Haywood and Monkton have. I'm not saying he'd be a great fit I was just wondering why no one has even mentioned him.
OUG
Riptide

plr90 wrote:I can understand not wanting to hire Fulmer OUG but I wonder what crucial criteria he fails to meet that Haywood and Monkton have. I'm not saying he'd be a great fit I was just wondering why no one has even mentioned him.
First of all, I don't think we hire Haywood, and I wouldn't put him and Monken on the same page.

Fulmer's been out of football for a few years now. He's 61. His last national championship calibur team was the same year of Bob Toledo's national championship calibur team, and that was with Payton Manning.

There are no second acts. Rich Rod was an exception because he was under 50, still had the fire, and had something to prove.

If Fulmer came to Tulane he'd want 1.5m a year and would be in it for the paychecks.
hounddog
Low Tide

Any interest in Butch Davis?
torbida
Surge

says we had our "man" but negotiations fell apart over timing of coaches current situation. I'm sick of that turd Dickson and even bigger,stinkier Cowen-shut the damn thing down if you can't do better.No one wants to watch loser football.