Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JerseyWave
Riptide

If we hire Monken, then how about Mike Stoops for DC. Monken should be a lot cheaper than RR, spend the money on the DC!

DrBox
Riptide

HSV wrote:With names like Monken and others being considered, how much should it matter that these guys can't start working full time for TU until the 2nd week of January?
Not much; he can get his recruiters rolling and do some recruiting himself. If we limit ourselves to guys available now, we would seem to be getting an inferior coach, outside of Leach.
wave to em
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:
hounddog wrote:From footballscoop.com tonight;

Tulane: There is mutual interest between Tulane and Todd Monken. Tonight Mike Gundy acknowledged that Tulane sought his permission recently to speak with Monken about their opening. This would be a hire the local fan base would rally around.
Did they talk to any of you guys? No one talked to me. What part of the local fan base has said they'd rally around Todd Monken? Oh, damn. Don't tell me they talked to one of the Mackel twins. Geesh.
We NEED to at least offer leach
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
RobertM320
Green Wave

HSV wrote:With names like Monken and others being considered, how much should it matter that these guys can't start working full time for TU until the 2nd week of January?

For example, despite losing last week, Ok state will have a good bowl game in the new year and reports are already questioning whether he would be allowed to leave until after the game. I think he is an interesting candidate but wonder if this should preclude him and others?

In many ways it would negate the Few advantages gained (getting a jump on recruiting, compiling a staff) by firing Toledo mid year and hiring before the end of the season.

Since the team leaves tomorrow, there will be no announcement this week and now that the season is over for most teams by this weekend there will be a flurry of firings as usual after the last game of the season. Now TU will officially be competing with more schools next week.

Thus the courtship of RR and it's length of time to complete may also be hurting Tulane in terms of having to compete more vigorously for coaching candidates AND due to the length of this search to date, it served to frustrate so many of the TU faithful on this roller coaster. It appears many are going to be nonplussed regardless of who is named now (especially since ML seems unlikely) and that will not help any new guy coming in or excite the casual or lost fan in NO to buy tickets.
Who knows, maybe someone will release their HC because he "only" went 8-4. We may end up with other options out of this that currently weren't available. I'd say I wasn't interested in coaches that were fired, but then again, we all wanted RR or ML, so who knows.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DrBox
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
Did they talk to any of you guys? No one talked to me. What part of the local fan base has said they'd rally around Todd Monken? Oh, damn. Don't tell me they talked to one of the Mackel twins. Geesh.
That site has been good with TU information. For a normal fanbase of a C-USA school, an OC from a top 5/10 team would be an exciting hire. We aren't normal (because of a decade + of abuse).
JerseyWave
Riptide

Some schools fire their coach because they only won 8 games in a season. At Tulane 4 wins gets you a contract extension.
HSV
High Tide

RobertM,

That is interesting. Does anyone know of a coach on the hot seat that would be palatable/deserving of consideration?

In all likelihood, any big name coach let go now probably is still under contract and thus not motivated to take a job right away( enjoy the money like Nutt will)
RobertM320
Green Wave

LOOK AT YOU GUYS!!! STOP! The Administration is beating us. Don't let them divide us. Don't you see what's happening????

Todd Monken -- If anyone had mentioned Todd Monken two weeks ago, we'd all have been screaming NOOOOO!!!!

Now, they leak out his name, and sneak out of town for a week....to give us time to start accepting, what was once not acceptable...By next Tuesday, everyone will be OK with Todd Monken, and we'll have convinced ourselves we couldn't get Leach anyway. Then, Monken will take a different job, or turn us down, and we'll move down the list. But, since we will have already grown comfortable with the idea of Moncken, they'll say well...Beckman's sorta like Moncken. And then maybe Curtis Johnson is back in the picture. And on , and on.... Until we end up with......Frank Wilson.

OFFERING ANYONE BUT THE BEST AVAILABLE IS NOT AN OPTION! There SHOULD BE NO PLAN B!!

Arrghh!!!! ....The Pirate awaits in his lair at Key West .....
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

The pirate has to want the job, Robert. Its not a 1 way street. He's just not coming i'll. Meanwhile, The oc for a very exciting offense at a top 10 school whose 45 and looks and acts the part is intriguing. If ole miss is interested, so should we be. He looks like a solid candidate.
sader24
Tsunami

My view of this search has always been take your shots with RR and Leach. If we cant get them we start looking at up and coming HC's from smaller schools or Coordinators from Big Schools. If we can't get a name guy we need a young guy with legit credentials (Not Frank wilson) who is extremely hungry and exciting. I wouldnt be upset with Monken or Diaz if Leach says no. I would be upset if we didnt even offer Leach. The splash is what we all wanted, but if we come away from this with an exciting young coach whose been a coordinator at big successful schools and is trying to make a name for himself I have no problem with that. We all would like the easy way out of this mess, but the reality is it might have to be built the hard way.
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:LOOK AT YOU GUYS!!! STOP! The Administration is beating us. Don't let them divide us. Don't you see what's happening????

Todd Monken -- If anyone had mentioned Todd Monken two weeks ago, we'd all have been screaming NOOOOO!!!!

Now, they leak out his name, and sneak out of town for a week....to give us time to start accepting, what was once not acceptable...By next Tuesday, everyone will be OK with Todd Monken, and we'll have convinced ourselves we couldn't get Leach anyway. Then, Monken will take a different job, or turn us down, and we'll move down the list. But, since we will have already grown comfortable with the idea of Moncken, they'll say well...Beckman's sorta like Moncken. And then maybe Curtis Johnson is back in the picture. And on , and on.... Until we end up with......Frank Wilson.

OFFERING ANYONE BUT THE BEST AVAILABLE IS NOT AN OPTION! There SHOULD BE NO PLAN B!!

You're being dramatic Robert.

There should always be a Plan B.

I'd buy your cynical argument if we hadnt made a very serious run at Rich Rod only to be turned down. I suspect we will offer Leach if we have not already. But we need to be prepared for the reality that we do need a coach sooner rather than later. Maybe I'm biased because I'm familiar with Monken due to a good friend who is an OU fan and the fact that Ive watched a lot of Big 12 football. He is a coordinator from a top ten program whose career is on the rise. Don't knock him just because you hadn't heard of him and the guys you have heard of don't want to coach here.
tnelly15
Riptide

Monken is acceptable if we cant get Leach, IMO.
galvezwave
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:Monken is acceptable if we cant get Leach, IMO.
Im pretty sure that's the concensus.
galvezwave
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Im pretty sure that's the concensus.
Unless you're Robert :lol:
GreenieMeanie
Ripple

OUG wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:LOOK AT YOU GUYS!!! STOP! The Administration is beating us. Don't let them divide us. Don't you see what's happening????

You're being dramatic Robert.

There should always be a Plan B.

I'd buy your cynical argument if we hadnt made a very serious run at Rich Rod only to be turned down. I suspect we will offer Leach if we have not already. But we need to be prepared for the reality that we do need a coach sooner rather than later. Maybe I'm biased because I'm familiar with Monken due to a good friend who is an OU fan and the fact that Ive watched a lot of Big 12 football. He is a coordinator from a top ten program whose career is on the rise. Don't knock him just because you hadn't heard of him and the guys you have heard of don't want to coach here.
I agree with Robert!! I think that we are being set-up for mediocrity!!
tnelly15
Riptide

Well if Frank Wilson manages to make his way into the conversation atleast we'll have the Mackels on our side! :D
sader24
Tsunami

After my war with the Mackels if we hire Frank Wilson I'll have to drop my season tickets and take up watching Soccer.
tnelly15
Riptide

If we hire Wilson I bet we'd duplicate the 935 attendance number at some point next season.

Also, pretty sure JTS just took a jab at all of us on the other board. :P
galvezwave
Swell

Greeniemeanie, mediocrity would be a major improvement to what we have now. You could always take a ride to the keys, club ML over the head and drag him down to the Wilson center. If that don't work who is next on your list? Saben ? Billichek? Payton? Those guys have pretty good jobs. Seriously, there's a lot of frogs on this search list, I give you that. But Monken ain't one of em.
posse
High Tide

We should offer ML the same package we offerred RR now. If ML rejects the offer, then we move on.

In all honesty, with the type of money we are offerring this time around, we should be able to attract a very successful, and proven HC.....The main problem with hiring a DC or OC, is you never know if they will make a successful head coach. You have the usual 3-4 yr on the job training making the transition with no guarantee of success. We are at a point where we cannot "roll the dice" on a coordinator in hopes he will become a successful HC. We are not in position to waste another 3-4 yrs.....
galvezwave
Swell

posse wrote:
We should offer ML the same package we offerred RR now. If ML rejects the offer, then we move on.

In all honesty, with the type of money we are offerring this time around, we should be able to attract a very successful, and proven HC.....The main problem with hiring a DC or OC, is you never know if they will make a successful head coach. You have the usual 3-4 yr on the job training making the transition with no guarantee of success. We are at a point where we cannot "roll the dice" on a coordinator in hopes he will become a successful HC. We are not in position to waste another 3-4 yrs.....
Im gonna imagine he's been offered. If he has and said no, then who is this "proven head coach" thats out there that tulane could get? I don't see that guy out there, posse. 'That tulane could get' being the key.
tnelly15
Riptide

We have the money, but who else is out there that is proven and available?
posse
High Tide

galvezwave wrote:
posse wrote:

Im gonna imagine he's been offered. If he has and said no, then who is this "proven head coach" thats out there that tulane could get? I don't see that guy out there, posse. 'That tulane could get' being the key.

There are many proven HC's out there. They may not be the big splash coach we all hoped for but these coaches have winning programs, i.e. Fedora, Hudspeth, Freeze, Beckam to name a few....Before you say we don't have a chance with a coach like Fedora, I say MONEY TALKS, and if he can double or even triple his salary, he would be interested. Especially with the reassurance that the entire program is going to do a 180 in regards to academics, assist coaches salary, academic friendly courses, etc.....I think we could be selling ourselves short....
tnelly15
Riptide

Looks like the OSU beat reporter really doesnt want Monken to go and he goes on to say some pretty awful things about Tulane.

@Billhaisten tweets
Yeah, Tulane has a big stadium. A big, empty stadium.
I'm not sure that Union High School's athletic budget doesn't exceed Tulane's.
Houston, you can recruit and win and move on to a significant gig. Probably not the case at Tulane.
galvezwave
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:Looks like the OSU beat reporter really doesnt want Monken to go and he goes on to say some pretty awful things about Tulane.

@Billhaisten tweets
Yeah, Tulane has a big stadium. A big, empty stadium.
I'm not sure that Union High School's athletic budget doesn't exceed Tulane's.
Houston, you can recruit and win and move on to a significant gig. Probably not the case at Tulane.
Must be something to it, this guys freaked out completely :shock: