Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

highgreentide wrote:everyone is stuck on Leach and RR. Would be great to sign either of them but we have to widen the net...What about Terry Bowden? Has won everywhere including Auburn, well educated (BS magma cum laude in accounting, JD) which the faculty will like, excellent football lineage obviously...probably a long shot as he appears happy in north alabama...
highgreentide, I don't think everyone is stuck just on Leach and RR. Any coach of that caliber would be acceptable. Those are the two that are available right now. I'm sure if we were able to land an Urban Meyer, a Steve Spurrier, a Bill Cowher, a Tony Dungy, etc, it wouldn't be a problem. What we're looking for is someone who will create instant credibility and excitement for the program.

I don't think people feel a Beckman from Toledo or someone like that couldn't do well. Maybe they could. Its just, AT THIS MOMENT, we need a bigger name and more immediate impact.. And, if the big name fails, at least we can't blame RD and SC for not making the effort. All we want is the effort.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
fracas
Ripple

seems easier to get a former HC than a current HC of quality
seems better to go with someone with HC experience than without
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:What we're looking for is someone who will create instant credibility and excitement for the program.
+1,000,0000
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
baldboy
Low Tide

Whats going on? What is the latest has anyone been offered? Any word tonight at game?
TURVS71
Swell

baldboy wrote:Whats going on? What is the latest has anyone been offered? Any word tonight at game?

Nothing, Don't know and NO!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tmorg36
Ripple

I agree with a guy like Beckman from Toledo. Lets be honest I'm not real sure how much of a step up Tulane is from the MAC even though yes we are in "bigger/better conference". But from the outside not sure it would be percieved as that big of a jump for him. I do think and have said repeatedly this is the type of guy we should be going after. Find a guy from the Mac or Sunbelt or WAC or FCS(1aa) who is hot and eager and give him the shot he's been waiting for. And it doesn't matter where a guy has recruited, if he (and his staff) can recruit then they can recruit. Lets find a guy whose excited to be here and not a guy we have to convince this is right for him and will always be talking about what he use to do at the bigger job he use to have!!
TU23
High Tide

tmorg36 wrote:I agree with a guy like Beckman from Toledo. Lets be honest I'm not real sure how much of a step up Tulane is from the MAC even though yes we are in "bigger/better conference". But from the outside not sure it would be percieved as that big of a jump for him. I do think and have said repeatedly this is the type of guy we should be going after. Find a guy from the Mac or Sunbelt or WAC or FCS(1aa) who is hot and eager and give him the shot he's been waiting for. And it doesn't matter where a guy has recruited, if he (and his staff) can recruit then they can recruit. Lets find a guy whose excited to be here and not a guy we have to convince this is right for him and will always be talking about what he use to do at the bigger job he use to have!!
It would be a money move only. One of my biggest fears is that Tulane will spend over a million bucks on the wrong guy.
murphwave
High Tide

If we hire a Leach or RR, we immediately become ESPN discussion worthy which will not go unnoticed by recruits. We hire an up and comer no-name, and it gets a small press release mention on ESPN.com. If we are looking for instant credibility, which we are considering the conference re-alignment concerns, then the only way to go is a headliner.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

murphwave wrote:If we hire a Leach or RR, we immediately become ESPN discussion worthy which will not go unnoticed by recruits. We hire an up and comer no-name, and it gets a small press release mention on ESPN.com. If we are looking for instant credibility, which we are considering the conference re-alignment concerns, then the only way to go is a headliner.
+10000000000000
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
fracas
Ripple

Houston Nutt just got fired, but will finish year
OUG
Riptide

We're getting into the period now where other jobs are starting to open up. Leach is in high demand among fan bases, but maybe not among university leadership. Same might or might not be true for RR.

I just want to point out a few things that I think are worth keeping in mind, in the event we don't hire RR or Leach.

1) Some of these jobs may be more attractive options than we are. I'm thinking in particular the Kansas and Ole Miss jobs. Particularly for Leach, the KU job offers him the opportunity to coach against the Big 12 and TT in particular. The Ole Miss job offers both the opportunity to parlay a successful run into national title contention -- both have been top ten teams in the past 5 years.

2) If we don't get these guys, don't blame Dickson for "waiting too long." RR and Leach began this process knowing that other jobs were going to be open. If they didn't really want to coach at Tulane more than they wanted to coach at the other places, it wouldn't matter if we had offered them 3 weeks ago or on January 15th.

I say this not to excuse Dickson -- as I've said, he should be fired -- but to point out how foolish we might look by focusing on two names alone as the sole metric of success here. It is a lot more important to focus on criteria than on names -- i.e., does the hire make some sort of splash (not relative to RR or ML, but in absolute terms), does the hire have HC experience, does the hire have a vision for how to make us competitive NEXT YEAR, does the hire have the ability and resources available to him to hire a top notch staff, and does the hire have the energy required to deal with inevitable challenges to come with enthusiasm and determination. I think its probably ridiculous to assume that only two names meet all or most of these criteria.

Let's keep the pressure on and focus it on what we want and not just who we want.
DrBox
Riptide

Ole Miss is the toughest job in the SEC. With Bama and LSU top 10 fixtures (at worst), the improvement of Arkansas and the entrance of Texas A&M, Ole Miss can reasonably expect to win one divisional game a year and that's 50/50. It's now easier to win at Vandy than at Ole Miss.
I see them struggling to ink the coach they want.
If Cowen gives up his nonsensical faculty "committee" and pays the money he PROMISED, we should have an easier time getting a coach; it will be easier to amass wins at our place.
sader24
Tsunami

I wouldnt go to Ole miss if I was a Coach. Everything about the job is bad news.
Wavetime
Swell

Is the search starting to focus on a few candidates and go for second interviews?
sader24
Tsunami

I don't see how we've been able to interview any sitting coaches. I'm assuming he's been interviewing every possible name that's not coaching at this point. If we havent interviewed Leach or Rodriguez yet I would be fairly shocked.
tmorg36
Ripple

I agree. Theres no way he could have interviewed sitting coaches yet. To early because they are all still playing for something significant wherever they may be. OUG is right, can't blame RD for not landing a RR/ML type coach. They are definitely waiting on bigger and better and I can assure you that with the opening of Ole Miss today they have both forgotten that Tulane is even still open....Don't forget Brady Hoke and Urban both came out of the MAC. Pete Lembo was at Elon last year and has now taken what was a 2 win Ball State team and turned it to 6-4 in one years time. Jerry Kill hasn't lit it up at Minnesota yet but (he will in time watch and see) took a bad Southern Illinois team to a perennial power house, then got it done at NIU... Where is the next guys like this at??? Lets don't just get excited for the spring and summer due to a big name and then say here we go again in the fall. Lets get excited when we start upsetting some people. Thats when change happens.....
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote:
CoachBrockhoff wrote:Houston Nutt may be available soon.
;)
The Houston Nutt who won with Ed Orgeron's talent at Ole Miss? Took them to back to back 9-4 seasons and Cotton Bowl victories. He's gone 6-15 since, with 12 consecutive SEC losses.

Proving once again that a good recruiter can't necessarily coach, and a good coach that can't recruit can't sustain a program long term.

We need someone who can do both well.
Houston Nutt is NOW available.
:? ;)

Ole Miss fans are now on the Leach Bandwagon to replace Nutt.
:roll:
DrBox
Riptide

The notion that Ole Miss is a better job than Tulane misguided. 7 wins at Ole Miss will be near impossible to achieve with the new SEC. Before the new SEC it was close to the worst SEC job anyway. All it takes for us is $ and a relaxation of standards. Well find out soon if Dickson and and Cowen are true to their word or if they are ....not.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:The notion that Ole Miss is a better job than Tulane misguided. 7 wins at Ole Miss will be near impossible to achieve with the new SEC. Before the new SEC it was close to the worst SEC job anyway. All it takes for us is $ and a relaxation of standards. Well find out soon if Dickson and and Cowen are true to their word or if they are ....not.
Houston Nutt was paid over $2.5MM a year, the next coach will receive over $3MM a year. That's why they will get who they want. It may be the worst job in the SEC but it still much more then what Tulane will pay. That's just too big of a difference when offered both jobs with the chance to win or not..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

fracas wrote:Houston Nutt just got fired, but will finish year
They also flushed the AD. They believe in performance at Ole Miss.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
murphwave
High Tide

What does Boise St pay their coach? If we want to make a statement and show a commitment to a bigger conference, we need to overpay on this hire. There are few things we can do to prove that we are committed to athletics. Getting a big salary coach is one of the few things that can show commitment immediately. A facility can't be built over night, and more tutors/easier classes can't take effect over night.

Of course, this is easier said than done, since I know I don't have the extra $1-$2M to put up on top of the already mentioned $1-1.5M. Do we have anyone that would be willing to put up significantly more than $1M for a coach?
greenie78
Riptide

Its much more difficult to win at Mississippi St compared to Ole Miss and Dan Mullins won 9 games last season. Also, Kentucky and Vandy are worse jobs than Ole Miss as well. A good coach can easily win at Ole Miss. LSU can't get all the talent in Lousiana. Orgeron recruited well at Ole Miss and Nutt did well with those players. A guy like Leach could easily win 8-9 games a year at Ole Miss.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:
fracas wrote:Houston Nutt just got fired, but will finish year
They also flushed the AD. They believe in performance at Ole Miss.
Yep, money no object either.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
CoachBrockhoff wrote:Houston Nutt may be available soon.
;)
The Houston Nutt who won with Ed Orgeron's talent at Ole Miss? Took them to back to back 9-4 seasons and Cotton Bowl victories. He's gone 6-15 since, with 12 consecutive SEC losses.

Proving once again that a good recruiter can't necessarily coach, and a good coach that can't recruit can't sustain a program long term.

We need someone who can do both well.
This is the exact scenario that Arkansas fans predicted when Ole Miss brought in Nutt, about a nanosecond before Arkansas was going to fire him. We don't need Nutt.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote:Its much more difficult to win at Mississippi St compared to Ole Miss and Dan Mullins won 9 games last season. Also, Kentucky and Vandy are worse jobs than Ole Miss as well. A good coach can easily win at Ole Miss. LSU can't get all the talent in Lousiana. Orgeron recruited well at Ole Miss and Nutt did well with those players. A guy like Leach could easily win 8-9 games a year at Ole Miss.
I agree. Ole Miss will get a solid hire. I believe it could be either Leach or RR if they want them.
Tulane Class of 1981