Big 12 Watch Week 2

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Does anyone have anything more concrete regarding the Big 12? I didn't go yesterday so I haven't really heard anything just wondering if anybody has actual info on what if anything is going on.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We have 4 schools in our corner.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:We have 4 schools in our corner.
TPS, I saw you post that at "the other place". How reliable is your info?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
Extremely. But we still need more support. I'd say our chances are about 50-50. It's more about NOLA, the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, and academics then Tulane athletic success.. The Big boys in the Big 12 South know the value of expanding into these parts, they have to convince the doubters in the North who may not benefit as much.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Extremely. But we still need more support. I'd say our chances are about 50-50. It's more about NOLA, the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, and academics then Tulane athletic success.. The Big boys in the Big 12 South know the value of expanding into these parts, they have to convince the doubters in the North who may not benefit as much.
Right now, there isn't a North and South due to the exodus of Colorado and Nebraska after last season, but I know what you meant. So the difficult ones would be Iowa State, and the two OK's and KS's, I'm assuming? You'd think some of those schools would love to have inroads into recruiting Louisiana.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I hope so. I think OU is in our camp, not sure about OK St.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I also find it laughable that there are people who feel Boise State would be a better fit than Tulane. If Boise State were to go 2-10 instead of 10-2 in football, just what else would they have to bring to the table? Anything at all? I don't think so. You may be able to get into the Big East just because your football program is strong (see South Florida), but that wont get you into the Big 12.

By the way, for what its worth, we should all learn that the Big 12 does NOT refer to itself as the Big XII. They specifically say that on their conference website. They are the Big 12, NOT the Big XII or Big Twelve. I figured we may ought to try and learn that.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:I hope so. I think OU is in our camp, not sure about OK St.
Considering that the future of the Big 12 as a whole rides on Texas and Oklahoma staying home, you'd think if those two wanted us in, it would be a done deal. Everyone says that Texas wants us. If OU wants us as well, then I'd agree we have a 50-50 shot.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
Considering that the future of the Big 12 as a whole rides on Texas and Oklahoma staying home, you'd think if those two wanted us in, it would be a done deal. Everyone says that Texas wants us. If OU wants us as well, then I'd agree we have a 50-50 shot.
Thay know that Tulane puts the Big 12 in extremely fertile SEC recruiting territory.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Thay know that Tulane puts the Big 12 in extremely fertile SEC recruiting territory.
A lot of people in the Plains probably aren't too familiar with the geographic proximity of the Gulf Coast. The fact that the southern half of Mississippi, and even the Mobile area of Alabama are only a couple of hours from New Orleans and get some local TV. And, a lot of those people come to New Orleans on a regular basis for different things. Its a bigger foothold into the SEC market than they may realize.
sader24
Tsunami

Strictly speaking from a football viewpoint anyone who thinks a football investment in Boise, Idaho is a better investment than New Orleans, Louisiana is insane. Looking at it from a long term viewpoint our ceiling is far higher than Boise St. I have no inside knowledge of any kind, but a major presence in New Orleans and Louisiana seems like a great move for the Big 12. Just recruiting wise for Texas and Oklahoma to have an oppurtunity to play in New Orleans every other year would be huge to them and hurt LSU alot more than LSU is willing to admit. If this actually does happen I think the SEC is going to regret opening up this can of worms. Believe me, LSU does not want Texas and OK playing in the Superdome more than they do. They might be laughing it off, but I've been saying for years that LSU takes New Orleans for granted, they play in Dallas and Atlanta but don't schedule games down here. New Orleans is more in play than they realize. They would not want a Texas-Oklahoma Big 12 Championship in New Orleans in December. Quite frankly with the amount of New Orleans and South Louisiana ex-pats living in Dallas and Houston, New Orleans has alot more in common with Texas these days than it does with Atlanta, Birmingham, even Baton Rouge. If our Athletic Dept. was even mediocre it would seem like a no brainer.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Strictly speaking from a football viewpoint anyone who thinks a football investment in Boise, Idaho is a better investment than New Orleans, Louisiana is insane. Looking at it from a long term viewpoint our ceiling is far higher than Boise St. I have no inside knowledge of any kind, but a major presence in New Orleans and Louisiana seems like a great move for the Big 12. Just recruiting wise for Texas and Oklahoma to have an oppurtunity to play in New Orleans every other year would be huge to them and hurt LSU alot more than LSU is willing to admit. If this actually does happen I think the SEC is going to regret opening up this can of worms. Believe me, LSU does not want Texas and OK playing in the Superdome more than they do. They might be laughing it off, but I've been saying for years that LSU takes New Orleans for granted, they play in Dallas and Atlanta but don't schedule games down here. New Orleans is more in play than they realize. They would not want a Texas-Oklahoma Big 12 Championship in New Orleans in December. Quite frankly with the amount of New Orleans and South Louisiana ex-pats living in Dallas and Houston, New Orleans has alot more in common with Texas these days than it does with Atlanta, Birmingham, even Baton Rouge. If our Athletic Dept. was even mediocre it would seem like a no brainer.
Well put. Things should pick up this week one way or the other, hopefully for the good.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Strictly speaking from a football viewpoint anyone who thinks a football investment in Boise, Idaho is a better investment than New Orleans, Louisiana is insane. Looking at it from a long term viewpoint our ceiling is far higher than Boise St. I have no inside knowledge of any kind, but a major presence in New Orleans and Louisiana seems like a great move for the Big 12. Just recruiting wise for Texas and Oklahoma to have an oppurtunity to play in New Orleans every other year would be huge to them and hurt LSU alot more than LSU is willing to admit. If this actually does happen I think the SEC is going to regret opening up this can of worms. Believe me, LSU does not want Texas and OK playing in the Superdome more than they do. They might be laughing it off, but I've been saying for years that LSU takes New Orleans for granted, they play in Dallas and Atlanta but don't schedule games down here. New Orleans is more in play than they realize. They would not want a Texas-Oklahoma Big 12 Championship in New Orleans in December. Quite frankly with the amount of New Orleans and South Louisiana ex-pats living in Dallas and Houston, New Orleans has alot more in common with Texas these days than it does with Atlanta, Birmingham, even Baton Rouge. If our Athletic Dept. was even mediocre it would seem like a no brainer.
Just goes to show that the overall IQ and common sense of the average college football fan has declined over the years. They no longer pull for a team because its their local team, or their alma mater. They bandwagon onto whomever wins. Those are the people that find a Boise State or a West Virginia attractive, and are shocked that Tulane would even be mentioned for expansion. And that description also applies to most reporters in the media that cover college football. Most of them are now just a bunch of hacks.
waverider
Ripple

I did overhear some people talking about a meeting with the sec presidents to discuss the Missouri thing again... I don't know how concrete that information is, but apparently the rumor is that they are meeting tomorrow...This could be a speedy process if they make a decision this week...I have been thinking it will be about a month before we know anything for sure, but it could move faster than that...
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
Exactly. If OU and UT are in our camp, I would think our chances go to about 80%+. The attractions we bring are permanent (ie SEC recruiting territory, N.O. and its TV market, strong academics, close geographic proximity, destination city,)--as opposed to other candidates like Boise St., West Va., Louisville, and Cincy. Any of these teams could be 4-8 within 5 years, then what do they offer the Big 12. Our advantages are there no matter how bad we may be on the field, and I don't think anybody doubts that our competitiveness would improve leaps and bounds if we were in the Big 12. The Kansas schools and Iowa St. better go along with anything UT and OU want, otherwise they could find themselves on the outside looking in. The northern schools are probably worried about having the two Okie schools in the north division if the Big 12 stays at 10--which would likely happen if we are the 10th team. I have to imagine they would like the Okie schools to be in the north division, to set up annual UT/OU championship games.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
waverider
Ripple

HoustonWave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Exactly. If OU and UT are in our camp, I would think our chances go to about 80%+. The attractions we bring are permanent (ie SEC recruiting territory, N.O. and its TV market, strong academics, close geographic proximity, destination city,)--as opposed to other candidates like Boise St., West Va., Louisville, and Cincy. Any of these teams could be 4-8 within 5 years, then what do they offer the Big 12. Our advantages are there no matter how bad we may be on the field, and I don't think anybody doubts that our competitiveness would improve leaps and bounds if we were in the Big 12. The Kansas schools and Iowa St. better go along with anything UT and OU want, otherwise they could find themselves on the outside looking in. The northern schools are probably worried about having the two Okie schools in the north division if the Big 12 stays at 10--which would likely happen if we are the 10th team. I have to imagine they would like the Okie schools to be in the north division, to set up annual UT/OU championship games.
However, I think the same things that make this a logical choice for Oklahoma could also be the thing that causes reservations...Oklahoma has to determine if they stand to make as big of a return as Texas. They have to worry about Texas benefiting from recruiting a lot more than them. Also in consideration for Oklahoma is that right now, it appears Texas is getting a homecoming opponent in their own division of the Big 12...(btw, I like the XII better...Seems more powerful than "12")...
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Great points Sader. While LSU would clearly be the big loser, there's no doubt that all the SEC schools would take a hit in the recruiting wars. I also think Arkansas could be hurt by this, as I believe they are strongest in the western portions of the SEC recruiting turf, the very area that UT, OU, Tulane and others would pilfer. Given that OU and UT would be playing in the Mercedes Dome more often than LSU, I would not be surprised if LSU wouldn't want to reopen a series with us. I've never understood why LSU didn't want to play Tulane every year in N.O.--it's almost like a home game for them, but doesn't count as one, plus its a treat for their N.O.-based fans and helps them recruit in N.O.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

waverider wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
However, I think the same things that make this a logical choice for Oklahoma could also be the thing that causes reservations...Oklahoma has to determine if they stand to make as big of a return as Texas. They have to worry about Texas benefiting from recruiting a lot more than them. Also in consideration for Oklahoma is that right now, it appears Texas is getting a homecoming opponent in their own division of the Big 12...(btw, I like the XII better...Seems more powerful than "12")...[/quote]

I don't know whether they refer to themselves as Big 12 or Big XII, but their logo is Big XII.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The northern Big 12 schools may be reluctant about us because they wouldn't get to come to N.O. every other year like the southern schools would. I wonder what, if any, say TCU may have in this. I wonder if they would support us or not.
DrBox
Riptide

Boise State is a regional university - no chance to the Big 12.
I can understand why fans of other schools wouldn't be excited about us. If we get this life-preserver, we better use it for all its worth.

I can understand why everyone but UT and OU would be against us: if those 2 leave, they are stuck with us as an outlier.
Last edited by DrBox on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
waverider wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
However, I think the same things that make this a logical choice for Oklahoma could also be the thing that causes reservations...Oklahoma has to determine if they stand to make as big of a return as Texas. They have to worry about Texas benefiting from recruiting a lot more than them. Also in consideration for Oklahoma is that right now, it appears Texas is getting a homecoming opponent in their own division of the Big 12...(btw, I like the XII better...Seems more powerful than "12")...
I don't know whether they refer to themselves as Big 12 or Big XII, but their logo is Big XII.[/quote]

If you Google the Big 12 Conference and go to their main site, go to "About the Big 12", and then to "Big 12 Biography". They specifically state:

When referring to the Big 12 Conference, please remember the conference name (which is a registered trademark) should be listed as follows:

Big 12
The following should NOT be used in text when referencing the Big 12:
Big XII
Big Twelve

That makes it pretty clear. Which is ironic because, you are right, their logo is a big "XII".
RobertM320
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:Boise State is a regional university - no chance to the Big 12.
I can understand why fans of other schools wouldn't be excited about us. If we get this life-preserver, we better use it for all its worth.
Just for clarification, are you referring to other Big 12 schools? Or other schools around the nation? If nationally, which ones?
DrBox
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
Just for clarification, are you referring to other Big 12 schools? Or other schools around the nation? If nationally, which ones?
All of the above. Schools around the nation don't like it because they say "why them when they suck on the field, have no fans in the stands and we go to minor bowls." I think the Big 12 fans would be less unfavorable, but still, we don't exactly bring an exciting level of competition. And that Big 12, outside of UT, OU and OSU, is pretty dull. Fans don't give a crap about AAU membership.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
All of the above. Schools around the nation don't like it because they say "why them when they suck on the field, have no fans in the stands and we go to minor bowls." I think the Big 12 fans would be less unfavorable, but still, we don't exactly bring an exciting level of competition. And that Big 12, outside of UT, OU and OSU, is pretty dull. Fans don't give a crap about AAU membership.
True. Good thing the fans aren't the ones making the decision.
JTLiuzza
Swell

That's right. The fans probably weren't too happy about Baylor being included in the Big 12 but there was a Baylor alum who happened to be the sitting governor in Texas who thought otherwise.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.