Big 12 Watch Week 2

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
OUG
Riptide

I'd also point out that what we saw from San Diego this week is what an Athletic Director covering his ass looks like. He went on the record to a reporter in his hometown paper saying, "I am pushing for SDSU to get into the Big 12! I sent them materials, and heard back that it was great info and not to call them, but they may call us if they need anymore info! Isn't that great, I'm being proactive!"

That is an AD in the middle of a PR excercise.

That is not what we have in this situation. We have the exact opposite, where Tulane is saying *nothing* to its hometown paper (par the course, really), but that other plugged-in reporters in Big 12 country (Sittler, Bohls) and nationally (Katz) are hearing rumblings that our name is under consideration under certain circumstances.

Since this behavior from a school under consideration does not compute with most sports media types, they assume its BS. But its actually 1) just the way TU does business -- Dickson even denied that we were working with the MWC to the freaking hullabaloo --flat out denied it; 2) wise when you consider that Dickson is, in fact, on the committee that is working with the MWC. It would be foolish to be seen as pushing stories about the Big 12 while he's in those talks.

I've always said, we have less than a 20-25% chance in all this. But the way the media has responded to the idea that we're even under consideration, in the face of facts that say otherwise, irks me considerably.

RWR
Swell

OUG wrote:
RWR wrote:She makes it appear she has those talks on a regular basis and I'm sure Big 12/conf. realignment are part of said talks.
Alright, let's play this out. If he told her off the record that its not happening in one of those talks, would she insinuate that the timing of the reports was highly suspicious and came at a time when RD was under intense pressure?

Doesn't make sense. She's speculating here because she doesn't "buy it" that we are being considered and are in the mix.
He would never flat out say we aren't getting in. The totality of his commments would be what led her to said conclusion.
OUG
Riptide

RWR wrote:
OUG wrote:
RWR wrote:She makes it appear she has those talks on a regular basis and I'm sure Big 12/conf. realignment are part of said talks.
Alright, let's play this out. If he told her off the record that its not happening in one of those talks, would she insinuate that the timing of the reports was highly suspicious and came at a time when RD was under intense pressure?

Doesn't make sense. She's speculating here because she doesn't "buy it" that we are being considered and are in the mix.
He would never flat out say we aren't getting in. The totality of his commments would be what led her to said conclusion.
Then, after hearing that in an off the record conversation, she throws him under the bus with a bizzare conspiracy theory that he ginned up all these reports just to get fans off his back? Makes no sense.
sader24
Tsunami

I believe her, she had an off the record conversation with him after the Big 12 rumor. She's talked to Dickson a hell of alot more than we have off the record and she has been pretty solid in her stance that we had little chance at all. We were bashing her weeks ago for being their mouthpiece, we can't bash her now that she said it's possible he leaked it to get the heat off. Can't have it both ways.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Regardless of the details, as the only person we know who has talked to Dickson about the possibility of the Big 12, she thinks it has little to no chance of happening. That means something. That makes me think that Dickson thinks we have little to no chance of getting into the Big 12.

Among other things, it means that she's bad at her job, Dickson is bad at his job and terrible with PR and that the odds are against Tulane getting into the Big 12. We know that Dickson has no vision and is a failure and it would require vision and some skillful maneuvering to get into the Big 12, so we learned little to nothing other than to lower our expectations a bit.

That being said, where is the leadership in this? Just because being loud about your intentions doesn't make being stuck in the cone of silence smart. While there is uncertainty, how bout letting all the naysayers (which is 100% of the public) know that the status quo won't cut it and the future will be different? How about letting Tulane alumni and the city of New Orleans know that there are opportunities and Tulane is being proactive about pursuing them?

An AD publicly stating interest will have no impact on getting an invite. The opposite is also true as there is no downside to making such a statement. Do we have ANY indications that there isn't still a clown show on Willow Street? Because it sure looks like that's still what we've got.

We need new leadership on Willow Street immediately. That Cowen allows Dickson to keep his job is a slap in the face to every one of us.
galvezwave
Swell

Jonathon, cowan and Dickson are 1 and the same. Do you think rick calls any shots at all?
RWR
Swell

OUG-Tammy never said she thought RD planted the rumors. She said the timing was such that it fit for those who want to be conspiracy theorist. Her staing that she doesn't think we have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in is separatre from her comments on those theories.
DrBox
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:Jonathon, cowan and Dickson are 1 and the same. Do you think rick calls any shots at all?
I certainly do believe that Dickson makes a lot of decisions re athletics.
Robert1969
Riptide

sader24 wrote:My only opposition to a stadium has been the small time aspect of it, I feel a 25K stadium marks us very small time and hampers our ability to schedule anyone. If we are given the gift of Big 12 entrance which would make us legit I feel like we need our own legit stadium. I don't see anything above 40,000 fitting logistically at Tulane unless they rip out the baseball stadium (which I would do if I were in charge) so if we could buy GOrmley and build a first class 50,000+ stadium in that setting, sandwiched in between Lakeview and Mid City I would have to be in complete favor of it. We can't tailgate at the Dome. I don't see how a Tulane-Texas game in City Park isn't an incredible atmosphere and quite frankly a better setting than the situation in Baton Rouge. Who knows what's really going to happen, but could you imagine a #15 Tulane vs. #3 Texas at 7PM on an October Night in front of 60,000 in our own stadium in City Park with people walking from Lakeview and Mid City to the game, with bands playing all day? It would be like a smaller version of Endymion and you would find that it would become an event for the people of those neighborhoods and they would begin supporting Tulane. There would be house parties everywhere and those 2 neighborhoods are flush with 25-35 yr olds who own their own houses, love to party, and have kids they would bring to the games who would replenish a dying fanbase and would grow up Tulane fans instead of LSU fans. I can assure you there are alot of half-a$$ LSU fans who live in those neighborhoods that would gladly pass up driving home drunk from Baton Rouge 7 times a year if they could have house parties, live music, great tailgating, and legitimate big time college football in their backyard at an incredible Park. New Orleans has always been an event city, if you make something an event worth going to people will support it heavily, especially if they can walk there and not have to get a DUI. It would give us and our games an identity and make those neighborhoods Tulane neighborhoods and make Tulane games a unique experience. Just an opinion, and I don't think it will be that type of experience Uptown on campus.

Sader, I love your way of thinking. I've thought of this before, and I think it is an excellent idea if you could find land nearby to build a major parking garage for those who would have to drive there. The one drawback about City Park is the lack of parking.
msdos
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:The one drawback about City Park is the lack of parking.
where does everyone park for jazzfest?

not being snarky, i've never been
Robert1969
Riptide

msdos wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:The one drawback about City Park is the lack of parking.
where does everyone park for jazzfest?

not being snarky, i've never been
Parking is a PITA at Jazz Fest too.
galvezwave
Swell

Parking is a pita at lsu also, fwiw.
Robert1969
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:Parking is a pita at lsu also, fwiw.
Yeh, but LSU is selling tickets to a perennial national title contender playing a schedule of national title contenders so people are willing to put up with the hassle much more than, say, struggling with parking to watch 2 and 4 Tulane playing 2 and 4 UTEP. In fact, just about anywhere in the city, if you don't have a parking facility this is going to be an issue.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Guys, let's try to stay on topic with this one.

Parking topic here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=573
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
OUG
Riptide

Interesting from an article today in FoxSports Midwest's website:
One Big 12 administrator insisted that the conference, which now has 10 members with the addition of TCU, is a cinch to expand back to 12.

"That's the right number," he said. "It gives you two divisions, so you have the revenue back from a football playoff game – plus it adds some depth, in case a school decides to leave later on.

"I think Louisville would be an automatic choice. It's an excellent school academically with a healthy athletic budget ($74 million annually) that would be among the largest in the Big 12 -- and the Louisville TV market is the 16th-largest in the country, which is a big plus for us.

"Where's the downside to Louisville? It has the prestige and athletic success in all sports to match Missouri or (Texas) A&M.

"It's not like Louisville would say no, either. You think they want to stay in a collapsing Big East?"

The one surprise in all this speculation might involve Brigham Young, which has been a perennial national player in both football and basketball.

BYU has huge facilities -- LaVell Edwards Stadium holds 66,000 for football while the Marriott Center can seat 23,000 for basketball -- and presumably became a football independent because it had outgrown the Mountain West Conference.

"Everyone just assumed BYU would jump at the chance to join the Big 12," said a source close to the school. "Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's going to happen that way.

"The Big 12 has had all kinds of problems with Texas starting up its own network with ESPN, and BYU has something similar in place with its replaying of all football games on a university-owned station.

"BYU is comfortable as an independent, and wants to see how well it will work. Maybe there will be reasons to look for a prestigous conference eventually if things don't work out.
More here:

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/10/12/1 ... eedID=8745

So, there seems to be even more indication that the Big 12 is inevitably going to expand to 12 teams. Meaning that if Missouri leaves, you need three.

The article reiterates that UL is the obvious first choice and would jump at an invite. It doesn't mention WVU or Cincinatti or any other school.

There just aren't a whole lot of obvious schools to pick from after you get past Louisville, BYU, and WVU though, and you rule out the Texas schools as was agreed to as part of TCU's invite. So if they go to 12 and BYU ain't interested.... well, that's the Katz scenario. Which still makes sense for anyone willing to look at it objectively and without the "TULANE(!?!?!?)" shock.

Also, apparently WVU and UL are abstaining from the Big 12 vote today on hiking exit fees, assuming that its going to pass anyway, but they do not oppose it. Cincy is voting on exit fee hikes, and apparently were not among the schools opposing the increase last week (Those four were reportedly UL, WVU, Connecticut, and Rutgers). Take that for what its worth.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Thanks OUG. At this point, who knows. I almost wish the rumor never would have come out.
Roll Wave!
OUG
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:Thanks OUG. At this point, who knows. I almost wish the rumor never would have come out.
I'd like to understand your thinking on this.

It is certainly a long shot, but its such a game changer that it has to be discussed seriously. Would you wish that we were in fact not under consideration? I'm as anti-Dickson as anyone, but I'm also a believer that there needs to be something for us to shoot for in order to change their minds and open up their wallets.

I would also take objection to the word rumor. The Tulane candidacy is based on real reporting, where there are direct quotes from Big 12 sources on background. It is not a rumor. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just something I've noticed.
msdos
Swell

Pretty sure steve means that it's such a longshot, he would rather have not gotten his hopes up.

same way i feel...
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

OUG wrote:I'd like to understand your thinking on this.
msdos wrote:Pretty sure steve means that it's such a longshot, he would rather have not gotten his hopes up.

same way i feel...
Should have picked my words better... Yes, I would have rather not gotten my hopes up.

OUG, I am in total agreement. Whatever comes of this, we will either

1. be happy being in the Big 12,

OR

2. have only gotten more furious with the TU admin/athletics situation and hold those responsible closer to the fire.
Roll Wave!
OUG
Riptide

I get that. To me, one needs hope. Tulane needs hope more than anyone.

It also isn't really about whether we get invited to join the Big 12 this year or next. Its about the hope that comes with re-affirming that there is a better future out there for us if we grab it. We have all the fundamentals, and other conferences realize that. We just need to commit.

I'd rather be in our position than in East Carolina's position, where they get 50,000 fans a game and put together winning seasons but nobody wants them because of things they can never change about themselves. Or USM, where they are held back by geography and being behind TWO BCS schools in the same small, under-educated state. To me, that is hopelessness. And I love that we now, finally, have some hope that if we do things the right way, we have a chance to be an attractive candidate to many outside partners.

This whole Big 12 thing underscores the case for committment, instead of undermining it -- Regardless of what happens.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:Thanks OUG. At this point, who knows. I almost wish the rumor never would have come out.
I'd like to understand your thinking on this.

It is certainly a long shot, but its such a game changer that it has to be discussed seriously. Would you wish that we were in fact not under consideration? I'm as anti-Dickson as anyone, but I'm also a believer that there needs to be something for us to shoot for in order to change their minds and open up their wallets.

I would also take objection to the word rumor. The Tulane candidacy is based on real reporting, where there are direct quotes from Big 12 sources on background. It is not a rumor. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just something I've noticed.
I agree. The fact is that it does make sense and the dominos are seeming to fall. If they are indeed considering us, and it seems like they are, then our odds seem to be higher than would seem possible.

What's fascinating and thoroughly depressing is that it sounds like the interest was actually initiated by the Big 12.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:I get that. To me, one needs hope. Tulane needs hope more than anyone.

It also isn't really about whether we get invited to join the Big 12 this year or next. Its about the hope that comes with re-affirming that there is a better future out there for us if we grab it. We have all the fundamentals, and other conferences realize that. We just need to commit.

I'd rather be in our position than in East Carolina's position, where they get 50,000 fans a game and put together winning seasons but nobody wants them because of things they can never change about themselves. Or USM, where they are held back by geography and being behind TWO BCS schools in the same small, under-educated state. To me, that is hopelessness. And I love that we now, finally, have some hope that if we do things the right way, we have a chance to be an attractive candidate to many outside partners.

This whole Big 12 thing underscores the case for committment, instead of undermining it -- Regardless of what happens.
Great post.

Exactly why we need to demand leadership and accountability.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

This is a crazy situation.

JKO's post on the other board about how this came about suggests that the Big 12 had us on a list, which is a completely different situation than Cowen/Dickson reaching out to them.

If that's the case, wow.
Wavetime
Swell

I agree...WOW if the Big 12 initiated the current situation. But,,,,who cares. You can lead a horse to water, it's up to the horse to drink....It's clearly time to drink!
Robert1969
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:This is a crazy situation.

JKO's post on the other board about how this came about suggests that the Big 12 had us on a list, which is a completely different situation than Cowen/Dickson reaching out to them.

If that's the case, wow.
Yeh, wow on lots of levels. Wow, because it once again shows that Cowen and Dickson have no imagination. And wow because it actually means we have a better shot than previously thought if this whole idea was the Big 12's.