Big 12 Watch Week 2

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... uri-tigers
Interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas says the league is set with 10 teams for 2012 with the addition of TCU, even though Missouri is exploring a possible departure.

Neinas says if Missouri decides to go to another conference, it wouldn't be for the 2012 season. Missouri is investigating whether to join the Southeastern Conference, though the school has not ruled out remaining in the Big 12.

TCU accepted an invitation this week to join the Big 12. The Horned Frogs will replace Texas A&M when the Aggies leave for the SEC next July.

Neinas also said Tuesday that there is no consensus right now among Big 12 members on having 10 or 12 schools. He says that can't be addressed until Missouri makes its decision.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... uri-tigers
Interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas says the league is set with 10 teams for 2012 with the addition of TCU, even though Missouri is exploring a possible departure.

Neinas says if Missouri decides to go to another conference, it wouldn't be for the 2012 season. Missouri is investigating whether to join the Southeastern Conference, though the school has not ruled out remaining in the Big 12.

TCU accepted an invitation this week to join the Big 12. The Horned Frogs will replace Texas A&M when the Aggies leave for the SEC next July.

Neinas also said Tuesday that there is no consensus right now among Big 12 members on having 10 or 12 schools. He says that can't be addressed until Missouri makes its decision.
So we've got a year to lobby as the likely loss of Missouri and perhaps the St Louis TV market with it. All the more reason that we need to hire Leach or RR immediately. Arizona is now in the market for a coach. We cannot wait until the top candidates are taken.

Toledo needs to go 2 seconds after Tulane has lost bowl eligibility if not sooner.
OUG
Riptide

Doesn't really change anything from our perspective. If it takes two more months to figure all of this out, that is two more months for us to hire Rich Rod and send a message that we intend to compete. :) That lame duck year in Big 12 is going to be rough for Missouri though... look what the Tech fans did to those A&M busses.

The 10 or 12 issue seems to be intractable one though. I think all but UT and OU want 12 schools. I could see UT and OU saying... "alright, you get your 12. But we pick number 11 and 12."
JDTulane
Riptide

That sucks. A lot lot lot can happen in this year to make us more or less appealing. Tulane needs to act NOW to make that appeal skyrocket. This means a huge football hire, a quadrupling of funds to athletics NOW (not after we get Big12 money, but NOW), and the announcement of big big big facilities plans.

NOW. As in, yesterday.
sader24
Tsunami

Eventually the Big 12 is going to have to go to 12 just to keep pace with the others. The quote of them looking East while staying in their footprint is about as good a quote as Tulane can hope for. Alot of things can change in a year, with the right hire we could win 8 or 9 games next year and be looked at totally different. As long as they stay at 10 the door is open for us. Going to 12 with L'Ville and WVA would hurt our chances significantly of ever getting in. If they stay at 10 this gives us more reason than ever to crank up the pressure on Dickson and Cowen. SMU was a joke 3 or 4 years ago, now people constantly mention them as possibilities for expansion. THeir attendance still sucks comparitively speaking.
JTLiuzza
Swell

sader24 wrote:...with the right hire we could win 8 or 9 games next year and be looked at totally different.
Right. And that would mitigate a lot of the fan squawking that we're currently seeing. I don't think ultimately the decision makers will be swayed by fans but it's a nuisance nobody needs.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RobertM320
Green Wave

OUG wrote:

Doesn't really change anything from our perspective. If it takes two more months to figure all of this out, that is two more months for us to hire Rich Rod and send a message that we intend to compete. :) That lame duck year in Big 12 is going to be rough for Missouri though... look what the Tech fans did to those A&M busses.

The 10 or 12 issue seems to be intractable one though. I think all but UT and OU want 12 schools. I could see UT and OU saying... "alright, you get your 12. But we pick number 11 and 12."

The $64,000 question is, is this good or bad as far as we're concerned? All things seem to indicate Texas wants us in.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:

So we've got a year to lobby as the likely loss of Missouri and perhaps the St Louis TV market with it. All the more reason that we need to hire Leach or RR immediately. Arizona is now in the market for a coach. We cannot wait until the top candidates are taken.

Toledo needs to go 2 seconds after Tulane has lost bowl eligibility if not sooner.
I doubt Leach will be on the short list, if we want Texas Tech support in the future.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Just heard on the radio that Air Force and UCF are going to the Big East. I have to believe that ECU will also end up there. A report yesterday said the SMU and UH may also be on the Big East list--which is the only chance those schools have since UT has blocked any further Texas schools for the Big 12. Looks like the Good Ship CUSA is sinking. Now what?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

For at least a year or two, CUSA may be a one division conference with UTEP, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, USM, Memphis, UAB and Marshall. Or more likely is MWC Commish will sweep in and gobble these schools up--at least the western ones. Suddenly the 24 team CUSA/MWC megaconference just got more feasible at 19 or 21, and falling.
OUG
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote:For at least a year or two, CUSA may be a one division conference with UTEP, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, USM, Memphis, UAB and Marshall. Or more likely is MWC Commish will sweep in and gobble these schools up--at least the western ones. Suddenly the 24 team CUSA/MWC megaconference just got more feasible at 19 or 21, and falling.
I would bet that if we are down to those 8 schools plus ECU (there is no evidence that they are going to be offered an all-sports invite), then we are set up even better for a MWC merger with a conference that will also be losing Air Force to the Big East for football only.

C-USA: UTEP, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, USM, UAB, Marshall, ECU, Memphis
MWC: Fresno State, San Diego State, Hawaii, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, Boise, UNLV

Each team plays a round robin schedule. Champions play in a title game. BCS? Tough to say, but it would be the best of the non-BCS champions, and by so much that it would be easy an easy way to satiate public demand for fairness, and it would eliminate any doubt about the Big East ever losing its bid. You add the cotton bowl as a fifth BCS bowl, and you get another at large bid in the process.

Frankly, if we go down to 9 teams, I'm all about a round robin schedule anyway. No need to dilute further -- whats the difference?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

look for UTEP....SMU...Houston...Tulsa in the MWC...the commish of the Big 12 DeLoss Doods will never allow Houston or SMU in the Big 12, he origianlly wanted TCU not Baylor..but wuz over ruled by the Texas Guv, Ann Richards a former Baylor cheerleader
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RWR
Swell

If we lose Houston,SMU, UCF and ECU I would rather the league add FIU to keep a presence in Florida. A 9 team league has all teams playing each other which is what a real conference should have.

If golfnut is right about the others defecting to the MWC, whch makes sense, and we don't get the Big 12 invite, it's over.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Now we wait and see if this was just a dog and pony show to get the heat off for the time being. We'll know for sure based on who the new coach is and the salary he and his staff gets.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

I wouldn't say all is lost.

Lets say that the Big East takes UCF and ECU. Also, lets say that SMU and Tulsa go to the MWC (I don't think this will happen, we get more money then MWC). If Louisiville and WVA go to the Big East, then that conference will be on shaky ground again,,,,it's all a crap shoot...
RWR
Swell

Wavetime wrote:I wouldn't say all is lost.

Lets say that the Big East takes UCF and ECU. Also, lets say that SMU and Tulsa go to the MWC (I don't think this will happen, we get more money then MWC). If Louisiville and WVA go to the Big East, then that conference will be on shaky ground again,,,,it's all a crap shoot...
If we lose the 8 teams I mentioned all is lost.
Robert1969
Riptide

RWR wrote:
Wavetime wrote: If we lose the 8 teams I mentioned all is lost.
Yeh, from there we'll be hunting for a place in the Sunbelt Conference.
murphwave
High Tide

Where is Rice falling in all of this. I have to think if we are doing work behind the scenes, they too are doing the same. I'd love to see Big 12 add both of us.
JTLiuzza
Swell

RWR wrote:If we lose Houston,SMU, UCF and ECU I would rather the league add FIU to keep a presence in Florida. A 9 team league has all teams playing each other which is what a real conference should have.

If golfnut is right about the others defecting to the MWC, whch makes sense, and we don't get the Big 12 invite, it's over.
Wait a minute where are we getting this mass defection to the MWC? What we do know is that we're being mentioned, albeit a long shot, as a Big 12 add. What we also know, and I got this from Rick Dickson, is that there are negotiations going on between CUSA and the MWC about a merger, and Rick Dickson is involved in those negotiations.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
OUG
Riptide

murphwave wrote:Where is Rice falling in all of this. I have to think if we are doing work behind the scenes, they too are doing the same. I'd love to see Big 12 add both of us.
In the eyes of the Big 12, Rice is basically a Tulane-calibur football program that offers them no unique advantages. Rice doesn't bring them a new market (the idea that Houston's market leaves the Big 12 along with TAMU is silly, the idea that it comes back with Rice is sillier), no recruiting in-roads, isn't really a "destination", plays in a terrible stadium, etc.

They don't bring the superlatives we do. They're stronger academically, but if you're going to consider academics, AAU is AAU to them.

Plus, Texas is adament about no more Texas schools and received assurances from other members in exchange for voting for TCU.
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:look for UTEP....SMU...Houston...Tulsa in the MWC...the commish of the Big 12 DeLoss Doods will never allow Houston or SMU in the Big 12, he origianlly wanted TCU not Baylor..but wuz over ruled by the Texas Guv, Ann Richards a former Baylor cheerleader
The MWC has very little to entice SMU, Houston or Tulsa there....Boise has a fine football team, but otherwise you're going to Cheyenne, Ft Collins, Albequerque. Really, they lost their edge when BYU, Utah and TCU left.
OUG wrote: I would bet that if we are down to those 8 schools plus ECU (there is no evidence that they are going to be offered an all-sports invite), then we are set up even better for a MWC merger with a conference that will also be losing Air Force to the Big East for football only.

C-USA: UTEP, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, USM, UAB, Marshall, ECU, Memphis
MWC: Fresno State, San Diego State, Hawaii, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, Boise, UNLV
ECU doesn't need an all sports invite to be on the next plane to the BE - football only would do for them.
I don't know...just not enough bridge in Texas to interest the MWC.

We simply cannot dip into the sunbelt. We just can't.
Do I expect Rick Dickson to understand that? No I don't.
OUG
Riptide

1ndabag wrote:
RWR wrote:If we lose Houston,SMU, UCF and ECU I would rather the league add FIU to keep a presence in Florida. A 9 team league has all teams playing each other which is what a real conference should have.

Wait a minute where are we getting this mass defection to the MWC? What we do know is that we're being mentioned, albeit a long shot, as a Big 12 add. What we also know, and I got this from Rick Dickson, is that there are negotiations going on between CUSA and the MWC about a merger, and Rick Dickson is involved in those negotiations.
+1000

The discussions about a future C-USA post Big-East expansion is about 10 times as speculative as the Big 12 stuff right now. We need to sit tight before we freak out. There's no evidence that the MWC schools are in any position to "poach" Tulsa and others. And if they did, I would have to think we'd go with them. This is all speculation, and there's no evidence to support any of it.

By the way, until we win, there's no difference between us playing UH and playing FIU and North Texas, to be honest. Fans in New Orleans want much bigger names than that, but even more so, they want a winner. But that's why I think we'd never expand. It would only dilute our revenue.
OUG
Riptide

For what its worth, OrangeBloods.com is reporting that BYU has "said no" to the Big 12 and opted to remain indy.

Now, I wouldn't read to much into it from the perspective of BYU 'rejecting them' -- they probably just couldn't come to terms on the... uh... uniqueness of BYU's needs (No sports on Sundays, independent ESPN contract rights, unwillingness to use beer sponsors during telecasts, etc).

But you'd have to figure this is one of the dominoes we needed to fall. And it also probably hastens Missouri wanting to leave.

So, if they go to 12, its us, Louisville, West Virginia, and if you believe some speculation (though I haven't seen many actual reports), Cincy. Three teams, four spots. Who else can get in on this, once you rule out Texas teams, Air Force, Boise, and others? Not sure there's room for anyone else in the conversation.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:For what its worth, OrangeBloods.com is reporting that BYU has "said no" to the Big 12 and opted to remain indy.

Now, I wouldn't read to much into it from the perspective of BYU 'rejecting them' -- they probably just couldn't come to terms on the... uh... uniqueness of BYU's needs (No sports on Sundays, independent ESPN contract rights, unwillingness to use beer sponsors during telecasts, etc).

But you'd have to figure this is one of the dominoes we needed to fall. And it also probably hastens Missouri wanting to leave.

So, if they go to 12, its us, Louisville, West Virginia, and if you believe some speculation (though I haven't seen many actual reports), Cincy. Three teams, four spots. Who else can get in on this, once you rule out Texas teams, Air Force, Boise, and others? Not sure there's room for anyone else in the conversation.
I always thought it would come down to Mizzo getting into the SEC. Too bad we're not in any control of our football destiny. Had the admin given it some attention we'd be in.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

With Mizzou staying, I think our chances are done. I think we had a legitimate shot as an "impulse buy."

If they decide to do their research into us, we're screwed. Only thing that can save us now is an impressive hc hire.