TD Fire TJ

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:42 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:37 pm
msdos wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:28 pm TD is silent because baseball matters a lot more to us than it does to him. Don;t forget he got rid of baseball at north iowa
Let's take a look at how you and others are blaming Dannen for "getting rid of baseball at Northern Iowa".

Budget cuts from the State of Iowa were the demise of the Northern Iowa baseball team. For years before Dannen arrived, baseball was running a significant deficit, approximately 80% of what the Athletics Department was losing. It generated less than $90k and cost about $500,000 each year. The team hadn't had a lot of success in recent years, and played off campus at a stadium where they paid rent. All games the first month of the season were on the road, mostly significantly away from campus due to weather.

When a 9% funding cut was passed for Northern Iowa Athletics (and let's at least get the name of the school right!) baseball was doomed. It lasted 9 seasons longer than P5 Iowa State's baseball team. That has to tell you something right there. I'm not saying Dannen is pro-college baseball, but I think he gets a bad reputation on this board for "getting rid of baseball at Northern Iowa." He was in his first year as AD and had to make a decision, and Title IX came into play as they couldn't drop a woman's sport.

Clearly the writing was on the wall for Northern Iowa baseball before Dannen became AD there.
You’re missing the point. Any AD worth his or her salt would never let that happen without a fight. He should have put together a baseball specific fundraising campaign like Cal Berkeley did to save it but he stood by and let it die on his watch.
not taking up for TD..but if memory serves PEE School, Iowa State, ain't got no baseball team either...

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You’re missing the point. Any AD worth his or her salt would never let that happen without a fight. He should have put together a baseball specific fundraising campaign like Cal Berkeley did to save it but he stood by and let it die on his watch.
Dannen did this. The plan to save baseball would have required raising $1.2 million in the final season, and $10 million over 3 to 5 years to become self funding. The financial support didn't come close to meeting the needed funds. And his peer University, the flagship of the University of Iowa system (and a P5) couldn't keep baseball going due to financial concerns. Sometimes difficult decisions need to be made, and he had to make them for a sport that was not supported financially nor with attendance.

Yes, baseball ended on his watch. It was the right decision. Tulane can overemphasize baseball; it's still a financial drain for 95% of D1 programs, Tulane included.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:31 am
Dannen did this. The plan to save baseball would have required raising $1.2 million in the final season, and $10 million over 3 to 5 years to become self funding. The financial support didn't come close to meeting the needed funds. And his peer University, the flagship of the University of Iowa system (and a P5) couldn't keep baseball going due to financial concerns. Sometimes difficult decisions need to be made, and he had to make them for a sport that was not supported financially nor with attendance.

Yes, baseball ended on his watch. It was the right decision. Tulane can overemphasize baseball; it's still a financial drain for 95% of D1 programs, Tulane included.
Thanks for making my point. He failed at fundraising and it died on his watch.
Forever TU
Surge

Show Me have you ever admitted to losing an argument because you probably should with this one. ADs aren’t gods.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Notre Dame job is now open. TJ looks perfect for the job.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:31 am
DCT
Baseball was never a drain under Rick Jones. It made money many of those years. We raked up in the Regionals we hosted. We sold around 3500 season tickets for awhile. Games we played LSU in the Dome were big paydays as well. In fact I believe today baseball still has more season ticket holders than basketball. But since dropping LSU we’ll never make money in baseball. That game alone was our biggest money maker at over $200,000 in revenue.
Just to let you know FB and MBB lose money every year at Tulane.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Each sport loses money at Tulane. I don't dispute that. But we put a lot of money into baseball and now we're not getting nearly the return we expected, as baseball is in the red.

Football and basketball have a better chance of making money, and throughout the NCAA d1, are the two sports that drive the revenue train. If we didn't stink for a long time in both, we'd have a chance of them being able to support the other sports. Maybe we'll get there, soon.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:26 pm Each sport loses money at Tulane. I don't dispute that. But we put a lot of money into baseball and now we're not getting nearly the return we expected, as baseball is in the red.

Football and basketball have a better chance of making money, and throughout the NCAA d1, are the two sports that drive the revenue train. If we didn't stink for a long time in both, we'd have a chance of them being able to support the other sports. Maybe we'll get there, soon.

Tulane has never spent "significantly" on baseball - a fraction of FB, MBB and yes WBB
Turchin was only built because it was all fundraised through baseball donors.
Baseball raised half its budget through Terribone Terrace, wall signs, slugger bird club and the Mickey Retif Golf tournament for years.
Tickets and concession sales covered the other half.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:16 am Notre Dame job is now open. TJ looks perfect for the job.
Sounds like a match made in heaven. I can see it now—a Homerun Jesus statue.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:06 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:16 am Notre Dame job is now open. TJ looks perfect for the job.
Absolutely!!!
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:06 pm
TJ can occupy the Paul Maneri Memorial Office
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
express
Ripple

Heard one of the catchers TJ and Recruiter ES ran off from the freshman class (Blake Johnson)
Hit .340 with 7 HR’s and 11 soundless. He also posted a 1.6 ERA with four saves. 1st team all league at Jones JC in MS. Word is he’s has offers at Mississippi State and Ol Miss. this was a result of TJ not having competition in the fall for that spot this the player left. Boy could we have used him in the Pen or as a catcher/bat. Terrible player assessment by this staff.
Profoundwizard
Swell

express wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 pm Heard one of the catchers TJ and Recruiter ES ran off from the freshman class (Blake Johnson)
Hit .340 with 7 HR’s and 11 soundless. He also posted a 1.6 ERA with four saves. 1st team all league at Jones JC in MS. Word is he’s has offers at Mississippi State and Ol Miss. this was a result of TJ not having competition in the fall for that spot this the player left. Boy could we have used him in the Pen or as a catcher/bat. Terrible player assessment by this staff.
JC Ariza is another pitcher that got cut, but was better than several of the guys that made the team.