TD Fire TJ

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This is not tolerable. The pitching has been awful for three years. It's been so bad it's overshadowed how bad we have been on defense and how poorly we run the bases. He's gone or we're gone. Do it !

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Owned by UNO and SELA.
Won only 7 of the last 23 games played.
No Regional in 3 years.
One winning season in 3 years.
Less talent coming back to make a Regional
so Year 4 likely similar to this year
Other teams in the AAC progressed late in the season while we didn’t
Underachieved for the 3rd year in a row.
Tulane RPI by season under TJ
2017: 80
2018: 86
2019: 97
Not the right direction after making a regional final in 2016.
No change will likely result in a loss of season ticket sales for next season.
Washington St hires TJ problem solved.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

He is not a head coach, it is so clear. I just don’t see TD making the move. I don’t think this AD understands college baseball. He got fooled into hiring TJ cause of his ties with an academic high priced private school without realizing the situation at vandy is not the same as TU.
I just don’t understand TU athletics. We have limited space and yet the footprint of our dam baseball stadium is larger than football. All while our bball arena is a joke. We now have no one showing up to any sport. Maybe fball, but even there we cannot sell out a 23k stadium.
Show Me
Tsunami

All good points why we need a change. I was never a fan of this hire but I gave him a chance. Dannen completely misjudged the difference between Vandy and Tulane when it came to financial abilities. He didn’t want any advice from “Tulane” people he thought he knew better. The differences are huge just ask Jewett today. If Jewett comes back and the season goes South early on Dannen going to get raked over the coals for keeping him. At least if he hires a new coach it will buy him some time and goodwill with the few remaining baseball fans we still have. Tough call for TD. He has to be thinking do I fire another coach and admit another hiring mistake now or do I wait and fire him next year?
Personally I have faith that TD will fire Jewett next week. He just got rid of a beach volleyball coach and women’s golf coach for underperforming. No difference here.
Jaxwave
Swell

He needs to be fired but don’t expect much in the way of a new hire. No good coach is going to take this job with its challenges. Can’t recruit here. Any coach we see hired will be one who was on nobody else’s radar. Gautreau is in line for an eventual much better job than Tulane. We are a coach killer program now. Will have to pay way over market and completely change how scholarships are rewarded to get back to contender status.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:02 am He needs to be fired but don’t expect much in the way of a new hire. No good coach is going to take this job with its challenges. Can’t recruit here. Any coach we see hired will be one who was on nobody else’s radar. Gautreau is in line for an eventual much better job than Tulane. We are a coach killer program now. Will have to pay way over market and completely change how scholarships are rewarded to get back to contender status.
Idk, Pierce was a legit hire and had success. No joke, we should at least talk to Jones.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:02 am He needs to be fired but don’t expect much in the way of a new hire. No good coach is going to take this job with its challenges. Can’t recruit here. Any coach we see hired will be one who was on nobody else’s radar. Gautreau is in line for an eventual much better job than Tulane. We are a coach killer program now. Will have to pay way over market and completely change how scholarships are rewarded to get back to contender status.
Yeah that 2 year stint David Pierce did here really killed his career. He only has the top job in NCAA baseball.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 am
Yeah that 2 year stint David Pierce did here really killed his career. He only has the top job in NCAA baseball.
and under his astute leadership, failed to make the post season Big 12 tourney.....outstanding !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Loved Gautreau as a player but do not want him as our head coach. We can do much better. Matt Deggs at Sam Houston State would take the Tulane job in a heart beat. Deggs would be a home run hire.
Show Me
Tsunami

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:15 am Loved Gautreau as a player but do not want him as our head coach. We can do much better. Matt Deggs at Sam Houston State would take the Tulane job in a heart beat. Deggs would be a home run hire.
Of course he’d take it.
But as David Pierce soon learned Deggs will never be able to recruit the same players at SHS for Tulane. Gaut and Riser know the challenges. We’d be better served by either of those two guys.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bearwave
High Tide

Well he didn’t even make the conference tourney at the so called best job with unlimited resources. Until Tulane follows the Vandy model for helping kids afford the financial burden it will never get back to pre-Katrina levels.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
TURVS71
Swell

I will have to seriously consider not purchasing my 3 season tickets if a change is not made.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bearwave wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:08 pm

1. Well he didn’t even make the conference tourney at the so called best job with unlimited resources.

2. Until Tulane follows the Vandy model for helping kids afford the financial burden it will never get back to pre-Katrina levels.
1 has NOTHING to do with whether or not Tulane Baseball is a coach career killer.. He went to the CWS last year.

2. I don't dispute that Tulane needs to do a whole lot more to help kids with finances. My argument is that the Tulane job is not a career killer as evidenced by David Pierce getting the UT job after two years at Tulane. If Pierce were to get fired tomorrow, it wouldn't change the fact that Tulane helped, rather than killed his career.
gbgreenie
Surge

GONE!!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:47 am All good points why we need a change. I was never a fan of this hire but I gave him a chance. Dannen completely misjudged the difference between Vandy and Tulane when it came to financial abilities. He didn’t want any advice from “Tulane” people he thought he knew better. The differences are huge just ask Jewett today. If Jewett comes back and the season goes South early on Dannen going to get raked over the coals for keeping him. At least if he hires a new coach it will buy him some time and goodwill with the few remaining baseball fans we still have. Tough call for TD. He has to be thinking do I fire another coach and admit another hiring mistake now or do I wait and fire him next year?
Personally I have faith that TD will fire Jewett next week. He just got rid of a beach volleyball coach and women’s golf coach for underperforming. No difference here.
It's not a tough call. TD needs to flush TJ now, and admit he made a huge mistake hiring him--anyone who follows Tulane baseball already knows that. In addition to being a lousy coach, he makes Vince Gibson sound like William F Buckley. We will get our clock cleaned next year, if we keep TJ now. Troy listen to your Tulane baseball fans--go get Riser, Cannizzaro, Deggs, Geautreaux, or probably a host of others--all of which can almost assuredly coach circles around TJ.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 pmGONE!!!
gbg,
Are you wishing? or reporting? I hope it's the latter.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bigschtick
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:34 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 pmGONE!!!
gbg,
Are you wishing? or reporting? I hope it's the latter.
I thought the same thing. ? I liked your comment about the way he talks and presents himself. Its embarrassing.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
JDTulane
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:11 pm Owned by UNO and SELA.
No Regional in 3 years.

Finished PhD (roll wave!) so I have time to post again! Huzzah!

This post says it all.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 am
No Regional in 3 years.

This post says it all.
Congrats!!! Great first post back! ;)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 am
No Regional in 3 years.

This post says it all.
Job well done. Congrats and welcome back. Football and basketball wise it looks like you're coming back at a good time.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Welcome back JD! Congrats on the Doctorate!
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Congrats Dr. JDT!!!!

Welcome back!

Fire TJ, Hire Riser or Cannizzaro.

Change is mandatory at this point.
msdos
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:13 pm Fire TJ, Hire Riser or Cannizzaro.
:mrgreen:
Show Me
Tsunami

I hope Big Jew gets that Washington St job soon. I’d hate to see him fired here but it’s part of the job. He’s not the answer for us.