2019 AAC Baseball Tourney Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

We could probably buy Zephyr Field at a nice discount if we wanted to since the minor league team is leaving after this season. Tulane would need to put some money into making repairs and updates to the stadium but it might be worth it we can buy it at the right price.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:48 pm We could probably buy Zephyr Field at a nice discount if we wanted to since the minor league team is leaving after this season. Tulane would need to put some money into making repairs and updates to the stadium but it might be worth it we can buy it at the right price.
the Z will not be purchased by Tulane...now if Mrs Benson wants to buy it and then donate it to Tulane that is a whole different story.....it would be like the University of Texas at Austin that plays their games off the campus proper
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

Benson Park it is .

Tear down Turchin and Wilson and build new BB and Volleyball venue with athletic administrative space ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Am I reading this correctly. ....Tear down a top 25 facility? And people wonder why we are where we are in all sports.
RobertM320
Green Wave

RollWaveRoll wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:09 pm Am I reading this correctly. ....Tear down a top 25 facility? And people wonder why we are where we are in all sports.
You don't think if we replace Turchin with Zephyr Field we'd still have a top 25 facility? Think about it for a minute. You're talking a AAA quality minor league facility that seats close to 12K
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:54 am
RollWaveRoll wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:09 pm Am I reading this correctly. ....Tear down a top 25 facility? And people wonder why we are where we are in all sports.
You don't think if we replace Turchin with Zephyr Field we'd still have a top 25 facility? Think about it for a minute. You're talking a AAA quality minor league facility that seats close to 12K
IMO If you’ve got 10-15 mill to spend, start buying nimbys houses and property adjacent to Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Down year for AAC baseball. Our tournament champion Cincinnati is 30-29. Had a losing record going into the tournament. Probably knocked out UCF from a bid.
Bids:
ECU
Cincy
UCONN
I’ll predict
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

RollWaveRoll wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:19 am
IMO If you’ve got 10-15 mill to spend, start buying nimbys houses and property adjacent to Tulane.
The difference is, we're talking one purchase by Mrs Benson that can happen quick, then a donation to the school. She's not going to take the time to wait years to purchase a dozen different houses on Audubon. The school can do that as part of a longer term plan for expanding Yulman. Use the Turchin space for a bball arena and IPF

And the added benefit of, if you purchase Zephyr Field, you kill the Wally Pontiff classic, along with any chance of LSU exposing their baseball program to locals unless they play us or UNO.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Profoundwizard
Swell

I don’t think it needs to be said but Tulane isn’t leaving Turchin for Zephyr Field. Would be stupid if they did.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think we put too many resources into baseball, but that's me. That being said, there's no way we spend millions of dollars to move to a baseball stadium that's 10 miles from campus, despite the other benefits we get. Turchin is still relatively new; we're not ripping it down.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sader24
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:00 pm
RollWaveRoll wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:19 am
The difference is, we're talking one purchase by Mrs Benson that can happen quick, then a donation to the school. She's not going to take the time to wait years to purchase a dozen different houses on Audubon. The school can do that as part of a longer term plan for expanding Yulman. Use the Turchin space for a bball arena and IPF

And the added benefit of, if you purchase Zephyr Field, you kill the Wally Pontiff classic, along with any chance of LSU exposing their baseball program to locals unless they play us or UNO.
So let me get this straight, we are going to junk our baseball stadium which is a very good facility on campus, buy a stadium out on David Drive, and a main positive of this is that it prevents LSU baseball from playing 1 midweek game every 52 weeks in the New Orleans area? Yall really need to end the obsession with LSU, it’s nuts.
RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24, don't be so stupid. You know damn well that wasn't the positive at all, much less the main one. The original mention was to use the Turchin footprint for an IPF and basketball arena, which long term would be more financially beneficial to the school than having baseball play on campus. At which point someone brought up that Turchin was a top 25 facility, which is a meaningless argument since Zephyr is a better facility so a net plus for the school. It had NOTHING to do with LSU. I just threw that in there as an afterthought. You must be spending too much time on tigerdroppings.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:30 pm sader24, don't be so stupid. You know damn well that wasn't the positive at all, much less the main one. The original mention was to use the Turchin footprint for an IPF and basketball arena, which long term would be more financially beneficial to the school than having baseball play on campus. At which point someone brought up that Turchin was a top 25 facility, which is a meaningless argument since Zephyr is a better facility so a net plus for the school. It had NOTHING to do with LSU. I just threw that in there as an afterthought. You must be spending too much time on tigerdroppings.
Is Zephyr really a better facility for a D1 NCAA program being 10 miles from campus? I'm not arguing the logic, AND I think Tulane emphasizes baseball too much. But to think we'd be upgrading from an on-campus 5k stadium I don't agree with.

But I'd still prefer an expanded Yulman, IPF and basketball/Volleyball arena to keeping baseball on campus. But I don't see it happening. Fire the baseball coach and get us one that makes Turchin look like a good investment.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

I agree that the 10 miles from campus makes it less attractive than otherwise. I was only comparing facility to facility.

And again, the original comments by Sunamiwave and then nawlinspete were only suggesting we make better use of the Turchin footprint, nothing more. We're an urban campus. We have space limitations.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The original footprint for athletics was from Willow to Claiborne Ave. Athletics needs to take back that area including the Reily Center and the Intramural Football Field (Brown Field) in front. The school should relocate / (build a new facility) the Reily Center closer to the Quad. The University pilfered that land from athletics after the stadium was torn down. Give them Fogelman as well in a land swap.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:56 pm The original footprint for athletics was from Willow to Claiborne Ave. Athletics needs to take back that area including the Reily Center and the Intramural Football Field (Brown Field) in front. The school should relocate / (build a new facility) the Reily Center closer to the Quad. The University pilfered that land from athletics after the stadium was torn down. Give them Fogelman as well in a land swap.
Excellent point. Would that be enough space for a BBall arena and an IPF, though?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:58 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:56 pm The original footprint for athletics was from Willow to Claiborne Ave. Athletics needs to take back that area including the Reily Center and the Intramural Football Field (Brown Field) in front. The school should relocate / (build a new facility) the Reily Center closer to the Quad. The University pilfered that land from athletics after the stadium was torn down. Give them Fogelman as well in a land swap.
Excellent point. Would that be enough space for a BBall arena and an IPF, though?
IPF for sure. I’d build the BB Arena on Claiborne in the Rosen lot space.
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

DfromCT wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:32 pm I think we put too many resources into baseball, but that's me. That being said, there's no way we spend millions of dollars to move to a baseball stadium that's 10 miles from campus, despite the other benefits we get. Turchin is still relatively new; we're not ripping it down.
Honestly I would argue the opposite. I feel like dannen doesn’t put any resources into baseball....that’s the problem. Since dannen got the ad job , it seems now we are even losing 1 of our 2 important rpi non conf away series and scheduling home games against hs’s. Only one reason for that.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:53 pm I agree that the 10 miles from campus makes it less attractive than otherwise. I was only comparing facility to facility.

And again, the original comments by Sunamiwave and then nawlinspete were only suggesting we make better use of the Turchin footprint, nothing more. We're an urban campus. We have space limitations.
sinve the maority of people attending games at Turchin come from Jefferson Parish or from across the lake, the Z place even looks better ...it actually has parking !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:18 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:32 pm I think we put too many resources into baseball, but that's me. That being said, there's no way we spend millions of dollars to move to a baseball stadium that's 10 miles from campus, despite the other benefits we get. Turchin is still relatively new; we're not ripping it down.
Honestly I would argue the opposite. I feel like dannen doesn’t put any resources into baseball....that’s the problem. Since dannen got the ad job , it seems now we are even losing 1 of our 2 important rpi non conf away series and scheduling home games against hs’s. Only one reason for that.
You don’t think the weak schedule was Jewett’s doing?
nawlinspete
Riptide

As I said months ago with Mc Allister Drive closed to vehicle traffic build the new BB arena on its footprint ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:03 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:58 pm
IPF for sure. I’d build the BB Arena on Claiborne in the Rosen lot space.
We need to remember the football ops. building. So that an the IPF could go where Reilly and the intramural field are. Then the new arena on Rosen.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:53 pm
RollWaveRoll wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:18 pm
You don’t think the weak schedule was Jewett’s doing?
I honestly don’t know. My guess is scheduling the cup cakes is likely the head coach in baseball, whereas in football it’s ad. But cutting a non conf away series is likely handed down. Huge money grab, save expense and add rev due to home game. And basically makes it almost impossible to make a regional in a non P5 due to rpi equation.

Ideally we need 3 away non conf series the way rpi is set up. 2 legit ones and then 1 at souther miss or so. 2-3 last few years we’ve only gotten 1 away non conf series.

Need 2 at minimum and both of Our away series have to be powerful. Rick jones last season was cal tourney and Alabama, pierce was Tony Gwynn tourney and Pepperdine, Texas etc etc

Look at UConn, due to weather every single non conf game is away and they rarely ever have a record over 35 wins yet they always have a top 45 rpi.

Away game win in rpi calc (1.3) is almost worth 2 home game wins. (.7).
Profoundwizard
Swell

And basically makes it almost impossible to make a regional in a non P5 due to rpi equation.

Ideally we need 3 away non conf series the way rpi is set up. 2 legit ones and then 1 at souther miss or so. 2-3 last few years we’ve only gotten 1 away non conf series.

Need 2 at minimum and both of Our away series have to be powerful. Rick jones last season was cal tourney and Alabama, pierce was Tony Gwynn tourney and Pepperdine, Texas etc etc
We had 2 away series in 2018(@ Ole Miss & Long Beach ) and had the #15 SOS.
In 2017 we had 1 away series and had the #20 SOS. So I’m going to have to disagree that we need 3 away non conference series.

In baseball the coaches make the schedule, obviously if the budget says they can’t travel, they can’t travel, but this weaker schedule for the 2019 season was intentionally done by Jewett, IMO.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:30 pm sader24, don't be so stupid. You know damn well that wasn't the positive at all, much less the main one. The original mention was to use the Turchin footprint for an IPF and basketball arena, which long term would be more financially beneficial to the school than having baseball play on campus. At which point someone brought up that Turchin was a top 25 facility, which is a meaningless argument since Zephyr is a better facility so a net plus for the school. It had NOTHING to do with LSU. I just threw that in there as an afterthought. You must be spending too much time on tigerdroppings.
Zephyr is 20 years old and doesn’t seem to have ever had any upgrades since it opened. It’s big and not a bad stadium but it would definitely not be a top 25 facility in college baseball.