Bylaw 14.5.5.2.9 - and how it will affect Tulane Baseball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
express
Ripple

Recently saw this post from a New Orleans Sports Performance operation - thoughts?

This past week, the NCAA has enacted another rule change that will go into effect for the 2019-2020 academic year that will essentially allow any student athlete not on an athletic scholarship to transfer to another university at the same level (for example, D1 to D1) and play right away without having to sit out a year. The new rule, which is expected to be Bylaw 14.5.5.2.9 in the as-of-yet unpublished 2019-20 NCAA Manual, will likely have tremendous implications for all college sports, such as baseball, that have numerous non-scholarship athletes on their rosters, as it will allow all walk-ons, including preferred, to transfer and play right away.

Under the new rule, student-athletes will be allowed to transfer to a new college and play immediately, if either:
1. The four year college the athlete plans to transfer from provided athletic scholarships in their sport, but the athlete did not receive any athletic scholarship / aid, OR
2. The four year college the athlete plans to transfer from did not provide athletic scholarships, and the athlete was not “recruited” by the previous four-year college.
Both conditions require the student-athlete to be academically eligible at their new school.

The first exception is fairly straight forward, but in layman’s terms the rule simply means that an athlete can play immediately at the school they transfer to if the school they are transferring from offered athletic scholarships to other players on the team but the athlete who transfers did not receive any athletic scholarship money. The second exception is slightly trickier due to the mentioning of being “recruited.”

Given that most D1 college baseball teams roster 35 players but no more than 27 can receive athletic aid, this new rule will mean that in most D1 programs, at least 8 players will be eligible to transfer and play right away.

Unless the NCAA backtracks, this rule will have tremendous implications for college baseball:
• Coaches who routinely load their rosters with preferred walk-ons to save more scholarship money to give to their most prized recruits will now run the risk of having those same preferred walk-ons transfer at any time since they will not need to sit out
• Athletes who have not received athletic aid who have good years will be far more inclined to explore transferring to a better school / program knowing they can play right away
• Rather than having to principally rely on juco talent, coaches looking to make rapid improvements will now look to recruit any of the roughly 25% of players on other D1 rosters who don’t currently receive athletic aid
• Athletes who have not received athletic aid who are the least bit disenchanted with their playing time will be more likely than ever to transfer to another school that might give them a better opportunity for more playing time
The ramifications are obvious… coaches will have to spread athletic money across as many players as possible to safeguard against unprecedented roster changes.

Coaches: Whether you like it or not, the new rule change allowing preferred walk-ons to transfer without having to sit out a year will result in dramatically more transfers. While many coaches will bemoan the new rule change, savvy coaches will use it to re-tool their rosters with proven talent.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

almost like "free agency"... pay me now, or I am outta here...or similar to the "transfer port-o-let"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Only fair. A regular student can transfer with no restrictions so should a non-scholarship athlete. I wouldn’t think it would impact us much. Most of our walk-ones are local kids that would attend Tulane anyway. Being on the team is just an added bonus. If they turn out to be worthy then Tulane would probably offer them some athletic scholarship money.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I don't think it will have much affect on us.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

If anything, this may help Tulane. Jones made a living getting transfers who weren’t happy where they were. Now back then they probably had scholarships so would be ineligible to transfer but to me it can’t hurt.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The rule puts a premium on having a coach that can attract talent, be it from the high school ranks or other college programs. I seriously doubt that we have such a coach at the moment.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana