Ranking the Basketball programs in AAC

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

This was from 7 months ago, and it isnt kind to Tulane. Especially with the new AAC TV contract which should help facilities, as well as our new AD & presidents commitment.

Still its an interesting read and is a anonymous poll amongst coaches in our league.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/watchstadi ... rence/amp/

WavyHoops
High Tide

Not kind to Tulane but how can you argue after a winless season? At least we weren't ranked last in *every* category.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You cannot argue with it at all. Greater New Orleans is not known as a hotbed of basketball talent, and the resources have been lacking for a very long time. It's getting better, (resource wise and we've found a few gems local and in-state the past years) but the only change we'll see for a the next few years is (if we get competitive) some games being played at the SKC. There's so few attending our games that we cannot justify a $50-70 million dollar building that would be mostly empty (like Lakefront Arena for Privateers games) for decades to come. We need to build the program before we build a new gym.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/227 ... ent#slide0

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/6/7 ... all-talent

Let's have fun watching Coach Hunter build Tulane Basketball from the rubble it currently exhibits.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I don't care where our players come from. New Orleans might not be a hot bed but it does produce enough talent that we should be able to get some .to better our program. Right now we have Frazier, Elfrid Payton , D.J. Augustin and Greg Monroe in the NBA. That's the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'll bet others can point out some others from NOLA. We also saw what the coaches thought of our facilities. You can bet recruits see it the same way too. That's why you revise the plans they had for the combined Arena and practice facility on the Rosen Lot. You give those to Coach Hunter to use to say this is where we are going.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

An arena the size of UNO’s would be perfect for Tulane. Of course the state of Louisiana paid for Lakefront Arena while we will have to raise all of the funds for a new arena privately.
RobertM320
Green Wave

What happened? I thought some posters here tell us we can take any player any other school can take, as long as they mean NCAA requirements. If so, then how could this be accurate?

The knock: “There are a ton of big-time athletes in the state, but most of them can’t get into Tulane."
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 pm What happened? I thought some posters here tell us we can take any player any other school can take, as long as they mean NCAA requirements. If so, then how could this be accurate?

The knock: “There are a ton of big-time athletes in the state, but most of them can’t get into Tulane."
LOL. You have to consider the source. Just like the guy who just wrote Yulman seats 30,000 and can expand to 40,000. They don't investigate. They just go off what they have been led to believe by past history. Like I've said we can accept athletes at NCAA minimums and have instituted at least four athlete friendly majors. That's what's been said here. No one said we can take every player that the others can take. What's been said is we've made it where we can take a whole hell of a lot more than we could before. Do you really believe this guy knows or cares about Tulane athletics? And remember you posted that in a thread that clearly shows we are taking lesser students.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

La schools do not have a shot clock. Correct?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

A few remarks:

This is strictly comparing us only to our league. Our league is strong- a power conference/high major with the big east. With our new stature and funding we will improve. We also have better natural resources fans and intangibles to place us in the middle of the conference. You can tell even the coaches inthe conference are privy to long held beliefs about admission standards, resources and resolve to win.

I in no way think overnight we will jump temple in these rankings but i do believe we can be middle of the pack in the next 3 years and scratch out a tourney birth.

The history, resources and programs in our conference are impressive. Lets overtake Tulsa/USF/ECU within 2-3 years and have a run to the tourney. It will be easier to have a crazy fan presence for that and to build a new arena than for football. (Despite an amazing coach and the hard fought groundwork in fball)

This is a wake up call for our perception in the league and abroad. But in reality there is no difference between us and Usf/tulsa/Ecu. Lets just build our program faster.

Roll wave and in Coach Hunter we trust !
Ruski
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:14 am A few remarks:

This is strictly comparing us only to our league. Our league is strong- a power conference/high major with the big east. With our new stature and funding we will improve. We also have better natural resources fans and intangibles to place us in the middle of the conference. You can tell even the coaches inthe conference are privy to long held beliefs about admission standards, resources and resolve to win.

I in no way think overnight we will jump temple in these rankings but i do believe we can be middle of the pack in the next 3 years and scratch out a tourney birth.

The history, resources and programs in our conference are impressive. Lets overtake Tulsa/USF/ECU within 2-3 years and have a run to the tourney. It will be easier to have a crazy fan presence for that and to build a new arena than for football. (Despite an amazing coach and the hard fought groundwork in fball)

This is a wake up call for our perception in the league and abroad. But in reality there is no difference between us and Usf/tulsa/Ecu. Lets just build our program faster.

Roll wave and in Coach Hunter we trust !
Even in their down period of late, Tulsa is miles ahead of us as a program...
Jaxwave
Swell

IMHO, that survey is hard to argue against. Tulane athletics as a hole is abysmal at this time. Only a gargantuan investment in resources can change this fact. The problem is that with no shot at a P5 invitation, even I, a die-hard fan since 1970 and an alumnus since 1973, would probably agree that that kind of investment wouldn't be prudent and a huge risk, kinda like the baseball stadium.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We are actually in far better shape then we probably deserve. The AAC isnt the P5, but puts us miles ahead of the G5 and will lead to us taking a big jump ahead of ULL & LA Tech as second best in Louisiana- this will pay huge dividends over the next decade. Things are brighter now than they've been in a long time.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:55 am We are actually in far better shape then we probably deserve. The AAC isnt the P5, but puts us miles ahead of the G5 and will lead to us taking a big jump ahead of ULL & LA Tech as second best in Louisiana- this will pay huge dividends over the next decade. Things are brighter now than they've been in a long time.
I think it's fair to say that Tulane deserves its #12 ranking but also fair to say that there are reasons to believe that it won't stay at #`12 for long.