Do We Keep Jewett?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Has Jewett earned another year?

Yes - Contract Extension
23%
N0 - Fire His Butt
77%

Total votes: 44
Profoundwizard
Swell

You have no clue if u r comparing a struggling college program to one of 30 MLB teams. Dear god. The fact that they have a draft alone makes that opinion asinine. Ya there are MLB teams who face challenges not sure how one extrapolates that fact to college baseball. There are pro teams in every sport who face an up hill climb, are they all equivalent to TU baseball?
Never said it was equivalent. There are similarities and we need to look at what they are doing to combat their disadvantage of being poor.
We’re a “struggling college program” today and we were a thriving one 3 years ago and nothing has changed except the coaches.

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:05 pm
You have no clue if u r comparing a struggling college program to one of 30 MLB teams. Dear god. The fact that they have a draft alone makes that opinion asinine. Ya there are MLB teams who face challenges not sure how one extrapolates that fact to college baseball. There are pro teams in every sport who face an up hill climb, are they all equivalent to TU baseball?
Never said it was equivalent. There are similarities and we need to look at what they are doing to combat their disadvantage of being poor.
We’re a “struggling college program” today and we were a thriving one 3 years ago and nothing has changed except the coaches.
Fair enough.

TJ will 100% never be the solution at TU. Please please someone convince me otherwise.
But I still see him coming back.
Profoundwizard
Swell

If he’s back, I just hope it’s got nothing to do with his buyout being too much.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:41 pm If he’s back, I just hope it’s got nothing to do with his buyout being too much.
If Jewett has a high buy-out clause, then Dannen should not be allowed to negotiate the buy-out clause of any further contracts.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
swampnik
Surge

We are 0-2 without Jewett at the helm. Good to have him back for Friday.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Interesting to note that on "That Other Board" there's plenty of folks calling for TJ's job. A direct violation of their rules. Yet they're not getting banned or "given a vacation." Selective enforcement on the Yoggie board is the norm.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

We keep Jewett but this time we do not force him to hire an alum .

The problem is the pitching g coach
Last edited by nawlinspete on Wed May 08, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Little to no overall progress ...,coaching change is necessary!
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Hopefully Jewett does not have a six year contract like Dannen gave to Dunleavy as he really should be let go at the end of the season.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I think we give Jewett one more year barring a complete late season collapse. Unlike Dunleavy, there is improvement over last year and better recruiting. Looks like we just got a commitment from a good pitcher out Tampa Jesuit.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Third year in a row the talent has underperformed IMO. I refuse to believe UNO , , Nicholls and SELA have more talent.
In 3 years we should have probably won at least 15 total more games then we have. That’s about 5 more wins per year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

JerseyWave wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:18 pm I think we give Jewett one more year barring a complete late season collapse. Unlike Dunleavy, there is improvement over last year and better recruiting. Looks like we just got a commitment from a good pitcher out Tampa Jesuit.
Please don’t bring up how good our pitching recruits look on perfect game. Hear that every year. Do we ever sign a guy and y’all say “you know, this guy actually doesn’t look that good”
Also let’s talk about the improvement. It’s artificial, inflated due to a weak schedule. Our RPI right now is worse than it was to end the last two seasons.
If we lose the series against Houston and Connecticut it will be abundantly clear that we actually did not improve this year. Just benefited from a weak schedule.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 pm Third year in a row the talent has underperformed IMO. I refuse to believe UNO , , Nicholls and SELA have more talent.
In 3 years we should have probably won at least 15 total more games then we have. That’s about 5 more wins per year.
I agree with a lot you say there and get where you're coming from. I will point out that as much as we don't like hearing it mid week games just aren't the same caliber. If we played those three in weekend series we would have beat them. I do agree as bad as UNO and Nicholls were this year we had no business even losing mid week to them.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:17 pm
JerseyWave wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:18 pm I think we give Jewett one more year barring a complete late season collapse. Unlike Dunleavy, there is improvement over last year and better recruiting. Looks like we just got a commitment from a good pitcher out Tampa Jesuit.
Please don’t bring up how good our pitching recruits look on perfect game. Hear that every year. Do we ever sign a guy and y’all say “you know, this guy actually doesn’t look that good”
Also let’s talk about the improvement. It’s artificial, inflated due to a weak schedule. Our RPI right now is worse than it was to end the last two seasons.
If we lose the series against Houston and Connecticut it will be abundantly clear that we actually did not improve this year. Just benefited from a weak schedule.
Well stated. Though I will say I have often pointed out when recruits haven't looked good in all sports. You are correct that not many others here will step up and say that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Well stated. Though I will say I have often pointed out when recruits haven't looked good in all sports. You are correct that not many others here will step up and say that.
You’re in the minority then. I’m not sure if I have and I understand why people wouldn’t want to. I don’t take pleasure in saying so when a recruit doesn’t look impressive. I’ll just say I was pretty sure that none of the freshman pitchers we brought in this year were going to step in and be good.
pansdad
Ripple

I don't like suggesting that we replace coaches, but these week day losses to Nichols and UNO are convincing me that it is time for a change. These losses are embarrassing!
express
Ripple

nawlinspete wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:07 pm We keep Jewett but this time we do not force him to hire an alum .

The problem is the pitching g coach
Question - was he forced to hire a Recruiting Coordinator that was a JUCO coach in the state of WA with no ties to high school coaches in the South/SW, or basically east of the Mississippi? We have defaulted to recruiting from "perfect game" ratings and that is not working (you need those HS coaching relationships so you can find the multi-sport athletes that don't spend all fall at perfect game tournaments and that have artificially high rankings). I agree that the school needs to stay out of assistant coach hires (and also not have a say in roster spots given for reasons outside of baseball ability), but his RC was a 'homeboy" hire and that is on the HC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Was the problem the pitching coach last year, too? And the year before? We fired that guy and hired a guy with a great track record that happens to be a Tulane HOF inductee. What was the constant the past three years (this year included) when our pitching sucked? Perhaps the constant might be the HC who is ultimately responsible for the pitching staff that makes the roster?

Those that want to fire the Pitching Coach after one year need to look a little further than the last 12 weeks.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We have one troll saying to fire Latham. Nothing there.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:17 pm
I think we're on to the "let's wait, the recruiting pipeline looks great" game--it's the last gasp of a failing coach.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bigschtick
Riptide

pansdad wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 pm I don't like suggesting that we replace coaches, but these week day losses to Nichols and UNO are convincing me that it is time for a change. These losses are embarrassing!

My sentiments entirely.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
gbgreenie
Surge

Using those arguments, Manieri needs to go at LSU both teams are losing to the rest of La. teams. I don't disagree on Jewitt should go but not with that argument.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:42 pm Using those arguments, Manieri needs to go at LSU both teams are losing to the rest of La. teams. I don't disagree on Jewitt should go but not with that argument.
You don't apply the same standards to a coach that's won a national championship, been runner up recently and is almost always in the mix to host a regional, if not a super regional. Jewett is a first time head coach with a losing record over three seasons.
TURVS71
Swell

Travis Jewitt -3 years

4-11 in last 15 games ;

-Hasn’t Won a Conf. Series this season

-Possible break even or losing conference record

-Likely to not make NCAA tourney for 3rd consecutive year

-First back to back losing seasons (‘17, ‘18) since the mid 1960’s

Please tell me why he should be retained.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:40 pm Travis Jewitt -3 years

4-11 in last 15 games ;

-Hasn’t Won a Conf. Series this season

-Possible break even or losing conference record

-Likely to not make NCAA tourney for 3rd consecutive year

-First back to back losing seasons (‘17, ‘18) since the mid 1960’s

Please tell me why he should be retained.
Actually won 3 AAC series Cincy, W St and USF.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981