Tulane Upset over Auburn ?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Any of those LSU upsets would be amazing.

Interestingly someone said we have only played @ Auburn twice ? That Auburn came to New Orleans 20+ consecutive dates because people used to love coming to Tulane Stadium to play. Sigh, how times have changed. If only we hadn’t de emphasized Football we would have stayed in the SEC, found the will & $$ to renovate the stadium and life would be very different.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 am

Interestingly someone said we have only played @ Auburn twice ? That Auburn came to New Orleans 20+ consecutive dates because people used to love coming to Tulane Stadium to play. Sigh, how times have changed. If only we hadn’t de emphasized Football we would have stayed in the SEC, found the will & $$ to renovate the stadium and life would be very different.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn%E2 ... ll_rivalry
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 am

Proof we are regaining respect from the college football world under Willi Fritz. :D
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

This would only be our 3rd game ever in Auburn ! Very strange.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:42 am This would only be our 3rd game ever in Auburn ! Very strange.
I was amazed to learn that Auburn came to New Orleans for 20 straight games from 1932 to 1951. Tulane leads the series 17–14–6. We first played at Auburn in 1955 (Tulane upset #8 Auburn) but we played them in Montgomery, AL a handful of times when their stadium was tiny, seating 700. We also played a few times in Mobile, but for the most part TU vs Auburn was played in the old stadium.

A year ago I would have though we had no chance vs. Auburn. We will be big underdogs regardless of what takes place week 1, but I don't think it's an impossible dream to hope for an upset.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

With Ed Orgeron and the legacy of Pete Jenkins, I just don't see Georgia Southern "surprising" LSU with the old time wishbone scheme. As long as the players execute, LSU wins. Big.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:25 am With Ed Orgeron and the legacy of Pete Jenkins, I just don't see Georgia Southern "surprising" LSU with the old time wishbone scheme. As long as the players execute, LSU wins. Big.
I think you're right. GSU hasn't been nearly as good since Fritz left. But, then again, LSU didn't expect to lose to Troy St two years ago, either.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Georgia Southern won 10 games last year and should improve on the field this year. I think ahtlon has them rated higher currently then us. So yes it would be an upset, but Georgia southern is a solid team and will compete for the sun belt.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:49 am Georgia Southern won 10 games last year and should improve on the field this year. I think ahtlon has them rated higher currently then us. So yes it would be an upset, but Georgia southern is a solid team and will compete for the sun belt.
They would be about the same level of upset, given that LSU is rated higher than Auburn and Georgia Southern is rated higher than Tulane.
wave97
Swell

Very true, Georgia Southern is a good team & Chad Lunsford is a very good coach. He donated $200K from his own salary to help retain asst. coaches. If there is anyone who understands how to properly implement a two-gap up front it is Ed Orgeron.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:49 am Georgia Southern won 10 games last year and should improve on the field this year. I think ahtlon has them rated higher currently then us. So yes it would be an upset, but Georgia southern is a solid team and will compete for the sun belt.
My bad. I remember the coach that followed Fritz got fired, I thought it was last year, apparently it was two years ago. 10 wins is always a good season.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

They were AWFUL the first year after Fritz left (10 losses I believe) and had the biggest turn around in D1 last year. I would have mixed feelings if they somehow upset LSU. . . Mostly that it should have been us/why wasn’t it us.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

They were an FCS powerhouse for years, and Fritz guided them to ridiculous success their first year in FBS. Their fans thought he was taking a step down (though clearly he wasn't) when he left for Tulane.

I'm so excited about this season but hope success doesn't mean Fritz leaves us. I'd love for him to stay at Tulane until he retires, hopefully at 70+ years old! He's a good, solid coach that knows how to evaluate the competition and do what it takes to win. He's talked about "in this conference we have....." (example "lots of tall receivers on the outside so we need taller corners to defend them") and has been adjusting the roster since he got here. This is the year I've thought we show the world we're turning the corner since he was hired. I just hope success doesn't equate to him leaving.
DrBox
Riptide

WE tried against OU 2 years ago, and gave them a game for 3/4.
Against Ohio State, we went through the motions - just didn't want to get anyone hurt.
I suspect we'll try against Auburn.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DrBox wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:01 pm WE tried against OU 2 years ago, and gave them a game for 3/4.
Against Ohio State, we went through the motions - just didn't want to get anyone hurt.
The score was 28-14 at the half with OU winning and Tulane didn’t score after the first quarter, so, to be fair, Tulane gave OU a game for a quarter.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Agree CT. Coach is very specific about length, long arms etc to succeed in league. He knows what the league takes. Two years ago coaches said we were dangerous but were still thin talent wise because of lack of good recruiting and winning. That is Less so the case now.

The good news is Auburn isn’t PREDICTED to be a top 10 team. They’re predicted to have 5 losses. Oklahoma and OU were in a league of their own like BAMA and Clemson and maybe LSU. IF that is the case maybe we can smack a poorly coached underperforming team in the face and make it a game. We get to their QB (their Oline is a big ?), we catch them unprepared for our triple option, zone read- spread offense (that’s literally what we are running ) and we put up 14 on them in the first quarter. I’ll let the rest of you predict the remainder of the game.

Roll wave (green glasses on)
wave97
Swell

DrBox wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:01 pm WE tried against OU 2 years ago, and gave them a game for 3/4.
We will have better depth in key areas on defense than we had two years ago. Providing that everyone stays healthy, we'll have an interesting mix of run stoppers/push up the middle two gap players (à la Chris Davenport) & gifted single gap players (Tanzel Smart). In the back 7/8 we always seem able to produce good hybrid LB's, Nickle/Dime & CB's. Let us hope for that to continue.
What happens with our offense is anybody's guess. I am hopeful that we are able to identify & exploit opportunities in real time.
I feel confident that we'll be better equipped to put up a good fight against top tier opponents than we've seen in years/decades around here.
DrBox
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:46 pm
The score was 28-14 at the half with OU winning and Tulane didn’t score after the first quarter, so, to be fair, Tulane gave OU a game for a quarter.
They were up by 14 thanks to a pick 6. The score stayed the same until 5 minutes were left in the 3rd quarter. So, indeed, we did give them a game for at least almost 3 quarters.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

At this point Auburn is no where near the class of OU and OSU. We need to take care of FIU and get revenge for that piss poor performance. Butch Davis is a good coach. That's where this teams focus better be so we set up things for the beating of Auburn.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Although Auburn is not Okalahoma or OSU, winning this game would be as close to a signature win as we've had in over a decade. That would do wonders for recruiting and for reinvigorating the New Orleans fanbase. It might also stimulate outside interest in Willie Fritz's resume.

I bit the bullet this week and renewed my football season tickets, seat lcense gouge notwithstanding. With the hope that basketball will be making a turnaround, I suppose that I will do the same there. Had he been born three centuries later, Alexander Pope would have been a Tulane fan when he wrote: "Hope springs eternal in the human breast".
Aberzombie1892
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:34 am Although Auburn is not Okalahoma or OSU, winning this game would be as close to a signature win as we've had in over a decade. That would do wonders for recruiting and for reinvigorating the New Orleans fanbase. It might also stimulate outside interest in Willie Fritz's resume.

I bit the bullet this week and renewed my football season tickets, seat lcense gouge notwithstanding. With the hope that basketball will be making a turnaround, I suppose that I will do the same there. Had he been born three centuries later, Alexander Pope would have been a Tulane fan when he wrote: "Hope springs eternal in the human breast".
Agreed. Auburn would potentially get blown out by either Oklahoma or Ohio State, but that says more about how good Oklahoma and Ohio State are relative to teams that even considered to be top 25ish than anything else.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Agree fully with these last several posts. FIU is the focus and would be a solid and crucial win. It won’t move the needle amongst casual fans and please let’s stop scheduling FIU & FAU.

If Auburn beats Oregon to start the season they’ll be firmly in the top 25 (top 15 ?). It would be a statement win like we haven’t had since ???????? 98 ? Green lantern as you implied it would probably be the beginning of the end of fritz tenure with P5’s schools throwing money at him. But it would also indicate we would have a VERY special year, with that UCF home game looking mighty juicy.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It would be a signature win and one we sorely need. Even 98 didn't have that. It was a collective body of work for them. As for WF leaving I hope we encounter that worry at the end of the year. If we do I think we keep him. The Kansas and K-State jobs both got filled. He'll be almost 60. If he does leave we'll have Will Hall sitting there. It's all good.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

For Sagarin's rating system as of the end of last season, January 7th, 2019, Auburn playing at home would have been a 22.01 pt. favorite over the Wave.
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/s ... onference/

But, that was under our old OC, no Justin McMillan for our first 8 games and senior classes that won't be back for either team.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 pm For Sagarin's rating system as of the end of last season, January 7th, 2019, Auburn playing at home would have been a 22.01 pt. favorite over the Wave.
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/s ... onference/

But, that was under our old OC, no Justin McMillan for our first 8 games and senior classes that won't be back for either team.
Despite all the changes and a full season with McMillan, I would bet we're still close to 20 point underdogs come week 2. I hope we give them hell, but there's no doubt more wagers will be on Auburn if the spread is closer to 2 TD's than 3.