A Top 15 FB ranking you don’t want to have

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane rated the #14th worst FB program of all-time. I actually didn’t think our winning % was that bad historically.
https://www.sportscasting.com/sports/th ... -all-time/
Low bar for sure. The 5-7 record was 2017 record.
We decided to create a ranking of the 15 worst Division I FBS college football teams of all time (based on teams with the lowest win percentage).

#14 Tulane Overall percentage: .446
The Tulane Green Wave football team has four solo conference championships under its belt. But the team has changed conferences several times through the years. They’ve played 11 official bowl games and have a bowl game record of 4-7. The team is currently coached by Willie Fritz and went 5-7 last season (2017) — they finished 84th out 130 teams. But while they finished closer to the middle of the pack last season, they’re still one of the worst teams overall, putting them at No. 14 on this list.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane has been one of the all-time bad football programs from a winning % perspective. That cannot be argued. But we can counter with the argument that we have more SEC Football Championships than 6 of the current SEC members:

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:00 am Tulane has been one of the all-time bad football programs from a winning % perspective. That cannot be argued. But we can counter with the argument that we have more SEC Football Championships than 6 of the current SEC members:

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M
As well as two rose bowl invites, and a perfect season. We have more history then what percentage of D1? Atleast half.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:13 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:00 am Tulane has been one of the all-time bad football programs from a winning % perspective. That cannot be argued. But we can counter with the argument that we have more SEC Football Championships than 6 of the current SEC members:

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M
As well as two rose bowl invites, and a perfect season. We have more history then what percentage of D1? Atleast half.
I think our rating at 70 in a couple of those articles is fair.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M
We also can brag about having one of the few unbeaten teams in history. I don’t think LSU ever went 12-0 or better.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:22 am

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M
We also can brag about having one of the few unbeaten teams in history. I don’t think LSU ever went 12-0 or better.
I would also add two sugar bowl appearances with one victory. We also went undefeated another time in 1929.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 am

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M
I would also add two sugar bowl appearances with one victory. We also went undefeated another time in 1929.
Few people give a crap about what happened 90 years ago. It was barely the same game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:24 am Tulane rated the #14th worst FB program of all-time. I actually didn’t think our winning % was that bad historically.
We decided to create a ranking of the 15 worst Division I FBS college football teams of all time (based on teams with the lowest win percentage).

The Tulane Green Wave football team has four solo conference championships under its belt. But the team has changed conferences several times through the years. They’ve played 11 official bowl games and have a bowl game record of 4-7. The team is currently coached by Willie Fritz and went 5-7 last season (2017) — they finished 84th out 130 teams. But while they finished closer to the middle of the pack last season, they’re still one of the worst teams overall, putting them at No. 14 on this list.
The good news we have some of those others coming up on our schedules. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 am

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M
Few people give a crap about what happened 90 years ago. It was barely the same game.
We're talking about the history of the program so they're relevant. Every bit as much as those SEC championships seventy years ago.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Fordham and Santa Clara were also good at one time.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M

SEVEN - you left out Arkansas. That's half the entire conference. And just how long have KY, MSU and Vandy been in the SEC?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:45 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 am

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M
We're talking about the history of the program so they're relevant. Every bit as much as those SEC championships seventy years ago.
I see your point.

At the same time, I use the SEC championships more as a trivia question than an arguing point. Not many people around that know Tulane was a founding member of the SEC. And nobody gives a damn that we went undefeated in 1929. Frankly, 1998 is becoming ancient history!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

In this case it is relevant (all time), and a sense of history is a wonderful thing. I do enjoy putting UCF fans in their place when they say they have a greater history of success. . . They then quickly backtrack and say history of recent success. But yes it was ancient history, and Santa Clara and Fordham and blah blah blah. But they don’t have football anymore and that’s their problem. Does Alabama not count their championships from 1925, 1926, 1930 etc ?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:43 am
tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:24 am Tulane rated the #14th worst FB program of all-time. I actually didn’t think our winning % was that bad historically.

The good news we have some of those others coming up on our schedules. :mrgreen:
Lol. I was thinking about that!
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:56 pm In this case it is relevant (all time), and a sense of history is a wonderful thing. I do enjoy putting UCF fans in their place when they say they have a greater history of success. . . They then quickly backtrack and say history of recent success. But yes it was ancient history, and Santa Clara and Fordham and blah blah blah. But they don’t have football anymore and that’s their problem. Does Alabama not count their championships from 1925, 1926, 1930 etc ?
Fordham has played D1 football (FCS) since 1989.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:34 am

Kentucky
Mississippi St
Vanderbilt
Missou
USC
Texas A&M

SEVEN - you left out Arkansas. That's half the entire conference. And just how long have KY, MSU and Vandy been in the SEC?
Good point, I missed Arkansas. Again, this is better used as a trivia question than in a discussion about strength of the program today.
swampnik
Surge

1963 outside of Tulane Stadium, my Grandmother asked me to choose between the purple or green team flag on a pole. pennant . I chose green that day and the rest is history. Game started out 3-0 for the Greenies. Final: Purple 63, Greenies 3. History can be looong when you start from 1893.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
RobertM320
Green Wave

swampnik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:38 am 1963 outside of Tulane Stadium, my Grandmother asked me to choose between the purple or green team flag on a pole. pennant . I chose green that day and the rest is history. Game started out 3-0 for the Greenies. Final: Purple 63, Greenies 3. History can be looong when you start from 1893.
Funny you mention this. Last nights baseball game actually made me question WHY I chose the green over the purple as well. Not sure why we continue to put ourselves through this.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jaxwave
Swell

I think you’re thinking of the 1962 game where Tulane led at the half 3/0 then lost 38-3.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I love hearing from the older fans, for that same sense of context and history. The personal stories from the old stadium and glory days are awesome. What I would do to watch Tulane beat LSU in a major sport and rush the court/field . . .
swampnik
Surge

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:17 am I think you’re thinking of the 1962 game where Tulane led at the half 3/0 then lost 38-3.
I do think it was a final of 63-3 and in 63. Jaxwave, do you happen to have any site that shows that decades scores for TU-LSU at Tulane Stadium? It could have been 1961-1962 also but I remember. well the score or at lease I thought I did.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
swampnik
Surge

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:05 am
swampnik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:38 am 1963 outside of Tulane Stadium, my Grandmother asked me to choose between the purple or green team flag on a pole. pennant . I chose green that day and the rest is history. Game started out 3-0 for the Greenies. Final: Purple 63, Greenies 3. History can be looong when you start from 1893.
Funny you mention this. Last nights baseball game actually made me question WHY I chose the green over the purple as well. Not sure why we continue to put ourselves through this.
I do think my choice was helped along by my liking the color green and that the team was based in New Orleans.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Decade of the 60's schedule and results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulane_Gr ... E2%80%9369
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:54 pm Decade of the 60's schedule and results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulane_Gr ... E2%80%9369
My lord, that 1960 record of 3-6-1 tells me Pilney just coul:d not get the team to go that extra yard. Great results overall and good defense back then. The tie against no. 5 Alabama says it all, so close and yet...... My first game must have been the 1962 loss against a ranked LSU. The fact that TU lead 3-0 thru the first half still tells me teams played defense back then with more gusto and agility.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)