Caleb Daniels transferring to Villanova

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
WavyHoops
High Tide

I would love for Daniels and Crabtree to stay. They were asked to do way too much this season and in a good system they could really help the team. But nobody should be surprised about any kind of turnover in a 4 win team with a new coach.

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:37 pm
austxwave wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:28 pm You want to test the transfer portal? Bye Felicia!
As far as I am concerned, let them all walk! Time to start over.
4-27 (0-18)

This is crazy talk.

Like I said “see ya”. Freaking joke. Have some pride.
sader24
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:54 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:37 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm
WavyHoops wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:33 am First bad news of the Hunter era:
And wasn't Daniels the one player that seemed most "on board" following his introduction? Something isn't right here.
The one player you needed to stay. What a blow for Ron Hunter. Needs to re-recruit his best player.
It was said elsewhere that he and his father met with Hunter to flesh out what Hunter's plan was and what Caleb's role would be. That was the day after Daniels made those very positive public remarks. So not all that surprising.
Nice to see his Dad took the day off from trying to recruit other schools players to go to Country Day and join the Fat Boys Pizza University Team. This team went 4-28, clean house and start over. The fact that they went in and had a conversation with the coach about the future is ridiculous. We won 4 games, everyone is expendable and everyone is on the chopping block. Hunter probably said it’s open competition for playing time and they got their feelings hurt.
Show Me
Tsunami

Sader I usually agree with your point of view. However i take exception here. If that were the case how come only our two best players have entered into the portal? Is it possible that they actually want to have an opportunity to see what’s out there? No knock on Hunter. Daniels has next level talent. If he stays at Tulane he may not get the best opportunity sitting through years of rebuilding. You can’t blame the kid or his dad. I’m sure if he was your kid you’d do the same in his situation. There’s not a harder working kid on the team trying to develop his skills than Caleb. We can only hope he stays put once this process is over. Do you really think Daniels will have his playing time cut on this team? If anything should he leave I’d bet he’ll log less minutes at a better program. When coaches leave kids may leave as well. This is no different than any other coaching change. Kids that remain on this 4 win team probably have no better options.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He's not going to play in the NBA. Maybe Europe. Every team in D1 has a player at least as good, and as quick (or quicker) than Daniels. Best of luck to him whether he stays or goes.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bigschtick
Riptide

sader24 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:58 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:54 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:37 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm
WavyHoops wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:33 am First bad news of the Hunter era:
And wasn't Daniels the one player that seemed most "on board" following his introduction? Something isn't right here.
The one player you needed to stay. What a blow for Ron Hunter. Needs to re-recruit his best player.
It was said elsewhere that he and his father met with Hunter to flesh out what Hunter's plan was and what Caleb's role would be. That was the day after Daniels made those very positive public remarks. So not all that surprising.
Nice to see his Dad took the day off from trying to recruit other schools players to go to Country Day and join the Fat Boys Pizza University Team. This team went 4-28, clean house and start over. The fact that they went in and had a conversation with the coach about the future is ridiculous. We won 4 games, everyone is expendable and everyone is on the chopping block. Hunter probably said it’s open competition for playing time and they got their feelings hurt.

My sentiments entirely. Let them walk if they want out!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

A "Rod Serling "Twilight Zone" question...."Is it a 'Portal', or a "Port O Let"....que the theme song
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
gbgreenie
Surge

This board better get decent these are student athletes you are blasting because they are looking at their future. With the transfer portal in place players will go to schools that they feel the love for the athletes. They don't need fans that blast them and sometime blame them for poor coaching. Players are growing up and have a need to feel wanted by the Universities and most of all the fan base. Let the coaches decide who they want and tell the players if they are a fit for their program. Fans here do not know how to be critical but be mature in the way they present their criticism. They are like vultures attacking trying to prove they are the almighty knowledgeable fan. Well attacking criticism versus constructive criticism is very damaging to any Athletic Program. Grow up and learn how to be a good constructive fan criticizing in a way that is not so attacking.
galvezwave
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:42 am This board better get decent these are student athletes you are blasting because they are looking at their future. With the transfer portal in place players will go to schools that they feel the love for the athletes. They don't need fans that blast them and sometime blame them for poor coaching. Players are growing up and have a need to feel wanted by the Universities and most of all the fan base. Let the coaches decide who they want and tell the players if they are a fit for their program. Fans here do not know how to be critical but be mature in the way they present their criticism. They are like vultures attacking trying to prove they are the almighty knowledgeable fan. Well attacking criticism versus constructive criticism is very damaging to any Athletic Program. Grow up and learn how to be a good constructive fan criticizing in a way that is not so attacking.
Get in the portal too then .
Bigschtick
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:42 am This board better get decent these are student athletes you are blasting because they are looking at their future. With the transfer portal in place players will go to schools that they feel the love for the athletes. They don't need fans that blast them and sometime blame them for poor coaching. Players are growing up and have a need to feel wanted by the Universities and most of all the fan base. Let the coaches decide who they want and tell the players if they are a fit for their program. Fans here do not know how to be critical but be mature in the way they present their criticism. They are like vultures attacking trying to prove they are the almighty knowledgeable fan. Well attacking criticism versus constructive criticism is very damaging to any Athletic Program. Grow up and learn how to be a good constructive fan criticizing in a way that is not so attacking.
You got your head where the sun don't shine. How is that for constructive fan observations?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Pepper
Swell

Wait! last month you were saying Dunleavy was the Messiah and we didn't have a point guard. Now you are saying it was poor coaching. After what I have seen on the court, these players ought to be kissing the ground that an institution such as Tulane would offer them a degree. If you're not in my foxhole, you are the enemy. Leave pussies.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Players are growing up and need to feel wanted?

Here's my take.

"You play (FB/MBB/WBB/BSB, etc) for me. I'll provide you with an education where when you're in your 60's like I am, you'll be a successful adult and prepared to enjoy your retirement." They can get their "need to feel wanted" from their parents and from their future spouses and kids.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I get that lantern knows the poster but that doesn't mean that he isn't a troll that just likes to mess with the site. His switch from how great a coach MD was to now saying don't blame the players for the poor coaching is as big a tip off as you'll get. For the sake of the site just ignore his trolling .
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
pansdad
Ripple

gbg is having fun with us :-)
WavyHoops
High Tide

"St. Joe’s athletic director Jill Bodensteiner added that it’s a new world now.

“As of this morning, there were 9,998 student-athletes in the transfer portal,’’ Bodensteiner said. “There are 596 Division I men’s basketball players in the portal.”

That’s almost two per school."

Interesting quote from this article about another D1 program who's had an even more tumultuous coaching change.

https://www.philly.com/college-sports/b ... 3Dsharebar
GreenLantern
Riptide

pansdad wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:54 pm gbg is having fun with us :-)
gbg means well but he goes a bit too far with his contrarian perspectives. Here's some trivia for you: gbg is appearing in an upcoming episode of NCIS-NO as well as the Hulu made-for-TV mini series "Looking for Alaska" which is filming in New Orleans. I'm hoping that he makes so much money that he will finance an expansion to Devlin. 8-)
WavyHoops
High Tide

Daniels going to Nova

greenie78
Riptide

Can’t blame him
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I, too, was hoping he would be among the leaders of a revitalized team under coach Hunter. But I can't blame him and wish him the all the best. I hope it all works out for him at Villanova, and that we're watching him light it up in 20-21 and 21-22.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tough loss.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
WavyHoops
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:21 pm I, too, was hoping he would be among the leaders of a revitalized team under coach Hunter. But I can't blame him and wish him the all the best. I hope it all works out for him at Villanova, and that we're watching him light it up in 20-21 and 21-22.
Villanova has some elite guards coming in as freshmen this season. I see Daniels as cover if one of them goes to the NBA.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

WavyHoops wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:21 pm I, too, was hoping he would be among the leaders of a revitalized team under coach Hunter. But I can't blame him and wish him the all the best. I hope it all works out for him at Villanova, and that we're watching him light it up in 20-21 and 21-22.
Villanova has some elite guards coming in as freshmen this season. I see Daniels as cover if one of them goes to the NBA.
There is no doubt he's taking a chance. Who knows what the situation will be in 20-21 at Nova. He would be starting his Senior year at Tulane, if not already in the NBA had he stayed. I wish him the best.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

all the best to Caleb and his family...besides, "It's Always Sunny in Philly "
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Mistake . That's what happens when Daddy's calling the shots.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Good for Daniels , have to admire his challenging himself by going to a team that may well have him coming in off the bench . His belief that he can succeed at a top 25 program with a top 10 coach will serve him well in his pursuit of an NBA career and bodes well for him going forward into the adult world .

Congratulations .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .