Why can’t a men’s bball coach succeed at Tulane ?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:00 pm Sorry I must have missed that article being linked in a sprawling alternate thread with no context. Kushner literally outlines in that article the subject matter of this thread. I am not disputing that the gym is A FACTOR. But it is not THE factor and man people are expounding at length as if it is our doom & downfal. But hey let’s make a bet. We’ll finish over .500 and make the NIT with Hunter as coach and still be in this gym.
Again no one said it was THE FACTOR. Quit making things up. You made a list and asked a question. I added one to the list. As for the article it was posted in the thread about the coach it was written about. Are you really that stupid?
Last edited by winwave on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:09 pm Devlin Fieldhouse is fine for now. Sell it out like we did for Perry Clark and we can move many of our games over to the state of the art SKC. This is really a non-issue. We just land an awesome basketball coach who is going to get this program turned around and we have all these negative ninnies, Lswho, and U LA LA trolls that show up on this board because they are jealous Tulane can,attract such a high quality head coach in Ron Hunter.
The point is that it hurts recruiting which can keep us from getting back to that level. It's idiots that ignore problems at Tulane that contribute to the continued losing ways.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:25 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:09 pm Devlin Fieldhouse is fine for now. Sell it out like we did for Perry Clark and we can move many of our games over to the state of the art SKC. This is really a non-issue. We just land an awesome basketball coach who is going to get this program turned around and we have all these negative ninnies, Lswho, and U LA LA trolls that show up on this board because they are jealous Tulane can,attract such a high quality head coach in Ron Hunter.
The point is that it hurts recruiting which can keep us from getting back to that level. It's idiots that ignore problems at Tulane that contribute to the continued losing ways.

Good point.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

The issue during the Perry Clark years was we outgrew Fogelman and had no where else to play except for the Dome. Now if Ron Hunter outgrows Fogelman in a few years we can move to the SKC, which is an option Perry did not have. I believe Coach Hunter can overcome in recruiting the negative of Fogelman because he has such other great positives to sell namely playing in the AAC, which is a basketball power conference, and also the great television exposure we get on the ESPN channels. Therefore he will still be able to build the program up to a relatively high level while playing in Fogelman. Once the program reaches a certain level we move most games from Fogelman to the SKC. I doubt we will be building a new on campus arena anytime in the near or even distant future as that money was used instead for Yulman Stadium. I would love to be wrong on this but we have been talking about building a new on-campus arena for the past twenty-five years without any real movement on the issue.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There's no difference between the Dome and the SKC. Those games we played in the Dome had a great atmosphere. That FSU game is remembered by everyone as one of their fondest memories of Tulane basketball. As I've said if we start to have success the league could force us out of the gym for all conference games. There is land available on the Rosen lot. We do agree that the idiot duo of SC/RD drained donors after getting sticker shock on the proposed new Arena. The cost wouldn't be as much now that we already have the practice facility built. It's RD's job to fundraise. He's got to put a focus on that and reenergize past donors and find new ones and get us the football ops. building and the Arena. Once we do that we should truly be able to consistently compete for the conference championships in football and basketball with all of the other pro's we have.

As for Perry he was able to win without getting NBA caliber talent. Hopefully Hunter can do the same.As others have noted though ultimately we want the program to be able to do better than just playing the first weekend of the tourney. So we'll need better recruiting.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

dome Yulman and convert to a basketball arena when football is over...sorta like Syracuse did at one time...then ya got a 23,000 seat Basketball facility to sell
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
MicMan
Swell

No worries. It's a slam-dunk for the new coach with the bar as low as it is.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:47 am No worries. It's a slam-dunk for the new coach with the bar as low as it is.
I predict, twice as many conference wins next season !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

How many recruits have told you that they would have gone to Tulane but they didn't like the arena? This is a meme that keeps running through this site, and I have never seen anyone show an example of where it is actually true.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:38 am
How many recruits have told you that they would have gone to Tulane but they didn't like the arena? This is a meme that keeps running through this site, and I have never seen anyone show an example of where it is actually true.
Conroy signed 2 NBA kids with the current gym. and a potential 3rd (Big O ) You’re right. Some people have said this since Perry left. However we’ve never once sold out the 3300 seat facility since it shrunk down from 3600. And almost every player to a T will tell you they love shooting in the arena. NBA superstar D. Wade loved the place. Even mentioned it on his NBA retirement tour recently. (He lite up Fogelman as a freshman when Marquette played Tulane). The problem has been the quality of product on the floor not the floor/walls.
Yes gym capacity is small but when the season ticket demand goes above 3300 then I’ll blame the facility for holding back the program.
Ron Hunter will win here. Hopefully he’ll eventually get the place full then we can move over to SMK should demand warrant it. Good problem to have then. Perry thought Fogelman being filled all the time was holding back the program. People were camping out for tickets back then. He wanted to grow the fan base and couldn’t at Fogelman. So he wanted to play in the New Orleans Arena to get more fans.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:22 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:00 pm Sorry I must have missed that article being linked in a sprawling alternate thread with no context. Kushner literally outlines in that article the subject matter of this thread. I am not disputing that the gym is A FACTOR. But it is not THE factor and man people are expounding at length as if it is our doom & downfal. But hey let’s make a bet. We’ll finish over .500 and make the NIT with Hunter as coach and still be in this gym.
Again no one said it was THE FACTOR. Quit making things up. You made a list and asked a question. I added one to the list. As for the article it was posted in the thread about the coach it was written about. Are you really that stupid?
:lol: you mad ? Why the name calling ? You would think a Tulane fan would have thicker skin. You mad I reposted a link that directly outlines the subject matter this thread was started in reference to ? Is that why you’re name calling ? Better call the police big guy. I also didn’t hear you take my bet. As far as being obtuse, I don’t think anyone is saying devlin is ideal. Let’s keep discourse civil or go take yourself to an LSU or ULL board for company.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:38 am
LOL. Have you looked at our recruiting and more importantly at our records. Seriously.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 am
winwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:22 pm
:lol: you mad ? Why the name calling ? You would think a Tulane fan would have thicker skin. You mad I reposted a link that directly outlines the subject matter this thread was started in reference to ? Is that why you’re name calling ? Better call the police big guy. I also didn’t hear you take my bet. As far as being obtuse, I don’t think anyone is saying devlin is ideal. Let’s keep discourse civil or go take yourself to an LSU or ULL board for company.
Wah, Wah. Cry me a river. I was responding to your snarky comment about the link. If you want to see someone who needs thicker skin look in the mirror. As far as the bet thing I never bet against Tulane. Also the NIT is not what we want. we want bigger than that. As to your new schtick trying to get people to shut up by wanting to bet it's been tried before on this site and failed. This site was created so that ALL could express their views. If you want a site where it is demanded that you have to say all is well all the time it's out there for you. As for keeping things civil you need to follow your own advice.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As to Perry he wanted a new Arena so that he could grow the program and get the recruits needed to go further in the tourney. There was no land on campus then as the Rosen dorm was still there. As Perry's time went on the program took a step back and the place wasn't filled his last 4-5 years. He left. We got lucky with getting Hunter. If his AD responds he was going to stay. I think he can have some initial success but like Perry if the program is going to grow and be a truly good program we need the new Arena. The space is there now. The plans have been done. They just need to be modified to take the practice facility out. The point being is that Hunter won't get us where most want it to go if we don't build it. The program will begin to take a step back and he'll end up leaving like Perry did and then we'll likely be in the wilderness for another 20 years again. I'd rather avoid that.
galvezwave
Swell

If the SKC is not already used as a recruiting tool it definitely should be .” WHEN we win, this is where the big games will be . “
Perry didn’t get to play in SKC but I remember his exact quote when the construction of it was announced. “This solves all our problems “
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ron just said he loves the arena at his presser today. He said as soon as he hit town people were telling him how bad Fogelman is. He said it’s the best facility he’s had in his coaching career. Said he can recruit to any facility as he’s proven in his past.
I know he’s not going to knock it but he’s not going to demand a new one either.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He will behind closed doors just as Perry did 30 years ago. Also his comment about people telling him that is very telling. Right now he's surrounded by Tulane people.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Success has to do with culture, not buildings or excuses. Coach Hunter seems like a guy who knows that.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:36 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 pm No one said it's the only reason but it is a reason. Our long history of losing certainly hurts too. It is though very Tulanian to have a big problem in front of them and just ignore its existence.

We have been accepting minimum qualifiers since CJ came in. As I posted before the one's that left were mostly for character issues not because of academics. We won't get the same one's as LSU /FSU because of their P5 status. We will hopefully get what he got at GSU just as WF has brought in players he had been recruiting at GSU.
Coach Fritz HAD BEEN, but now has significantly upgraded recruiting from Georgia Southern .
To be fair, Fritz classes average out to the same as CJ given Fritz had a bad class, followed by the worst class in recent history, followed by the best class in recent history, and then followed by another bad class.
Fritz's last class rated out at .8172. That's the second best class we've had in the last 20 yrs, and a full point and a half better than CJs best class (.8008). Now sure how that's a "bad" class.

Overall, Fritz's 4 classes AVERAGE .8062, better than ANY of CJ's classes. CJ's average was .7984. That's the difference between a two star and a three star. Its' also better than ANY SINGLE Tulane class prior to Fritz since 247 started rating in 2002. Fritz will do even better as we continue to win, but he's already well ahead.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:01 am Fritz's last class rated out at .8172. That's the second best class we've had in the last 20 yrs, and a full point and a half better than CJs best class (.8008). Now sure how that's a "bad" class.

Overall, Fritz's 4 classes AVERAGE .8062, better than ANY of CJ's classes. CJ's average was .7984. That's the difference between a two star and a three star. Its' also better than ANY SINGLE Tulane class prior to Fritz since 247 started rating in 2002. Fritz will do even better as we continue to win, but he's already well ahead.
Your point is well taken, but the fact of the matter is that the class ranks look like this (according to 247 composite):

FRITZ
2019 - 95
2018 - 70
2017 - 112
2016 - 97

JOHNSON
2015 - 91
2014 - 90
2013 - 83
2012 - 83

There is not much of a real difference there. Fritz had a 70 ranked class, but it also had a 112 ranked class. CJ was not lower than 91, but not higher than 83. However, if someone wanted to be a stickler, they could say that Johnson's average class was ranked higher - relative to all the other football teams - than Fritz's average class and they wouldn't be wrong.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The rankings mean a lot less than the average "score" of the players. More players = higher ranking.

Based upon the score of the classes, the last three were higher than any of CJ's.

Getting back on thread topic: A good coach can succeed at Tulane. Hunter built a very strong program at a school with a much worse gym, lousy facilities, and zero track record. Heck, Lefty Driessell (widely regarded as one of the best program builders) didn't do as much at GSU as Coach Hunter did.

There is no reason Ron Hunter cannot win at Tulane.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:01 pm The rankings mean a lot less than the average "score" of the players. More players = higher ranking.

Based upon the score of the classes, the last three were higher than any of CJ's.
Yeah I really have no idea why people use aggregate score instead of average. It’s why navy and military academy’s can be somewhat highly ranked. Average score it the only thing that matters
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:01 pm The rankings mean a lot less than the average "score" of the players. More players = higher ranking.

Getting back on thread topic: A good coach can succeed at Tulane. Hunter built a very strong program at a school with a much worse gym, lousy facilities, and zero track record. Heck, Lefty Driessell (widely regarded as one of the best program builders) didn't do as much at GSU as Coach Hunter did.

The point is, CJ's classes averaged in the 80s while Fritz's have averaged in the 90s (according to 247) and that is a factual statement. It's certainly true that class size plays a role in the final rank, but Tulane pounding its chest because the average rating for a recruit increased by at most 0.0265 in Fritz's best class compared to CJ's best class is a little silly, especially given CJ's worst class was 0.0125 better than Fritz's worst class.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

But doesn’t that make what fritz has done even more impressive ? Doesn’t it also mean once there is an big uptick in recruiting (i am going to assume it will be this year) that we’ll see an even bigger jump on the field ?

Back to your original point, if fritz can do it without a major uptick and just great coaching and a culture change, then Ron Hunter can too.
anEngineer
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:23 am

The point is, CJ's classes averaged in the 80s while Fritz's have averaged in the 90s (according to 247) and that is a factual statement. It's certainly true that class size plays a role in the final rank, but Tulane pounding its chest because the average rating for a recruit increased by at most 0.0265 in Fritz's best class compared to CJ's best class is a little silly, especially given CJ's worst class was 0.0125 better than Fritz's worst class.
So what are you saying? That you would rather have CJ's classes? I don't give a damn about those phony rankings. Fritz has better players on the field than CJ ever put on the field and that's all that really matters. They are better players and better coached.