Ron Hunter new Tulane basketball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Ron Hunter mentioned in this article and extensively in tweets from connected sources as a potential Tulane candidate ( looks like a good choice to me!) :

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradley/g ... VQHfEHtUO/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hunter

WavyHoops
High Tide

A well respected guy who has been successfully fighting in the trenches of lower level college athletics for decades finds success at a Sun Belt Conference school in Georgia and then gets tapped by Troy Dannen for a life-or-death reboot of a foundering Tulane program. Sounds familiar.
Last edited by WavyHoops on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't think he'd be a bad hire, but he's not one I'd get excited about, either. Definitely an uptick from MD.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bigschtick
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:53 am I don't think he'd be a bad hire, but he's not one I'd get excited about, either. Definitely an uptick from MD.

Pretty much my sentiment!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Jaxwave
Swell

Good coach, but a better fit for a lot of other places other than Tulane. I just don’t think he will be able to recruit the same kids to Tulane that he did to Ga State. I can’t believe for one minute that any recruit to Ga St thinks about Tulane academics as a plus. They will be scared away from it. And if he can’t get and keep those kids in school it will be a massive fail. Think CJ.
Unfortunately, the job will only appeal to very young up and comers or older guys needing to set themselves up financially for life. I think Hunter is attainable just Like Fritz was attainable. Regardless of the difficulty of the job, he needs the level of pay of an AAC coach to be comfortable as he approaches retirement. His recruiting will remind us of CJ. Let’s hope his coaching is closer to Fritz.
My hope is that he not get discouraged in the difficulty of recruiting and winning at Tulane and settle into an early retired on the job mentality like we saw in Toledo. Unfortunately, my prediction is just that, which is why I would have preferred a motivated up and comer.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

He’s 54, so he’s not exactly a dinosaur. I will say you are correct about the recruits being different because of the Tulane academics, but other than that he checks off every box.

How many coaches have that last box of succeeding at an elite academic university with a history of limited tradition and success. Yale and Harvard coach ? Maybe the Colgate coach ? Maybe UCSB with pastarnack (who is in big trouble)? Bryce Drew at Vandy (winless in conference)?

In the case of Yale/Harvard/Colgate all of their success is winning their league’s auto bid in a less competitive atmosphere and they don’t have any southern recruiting ties.

I’m not sure there’s a coach that checks off every box.
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Well said Jax . This guy is not a up and comer . He is instead , as the AJC ARTICLE POINTS OUT , a coach losing four of his five starters as he faces a 'now or never' decision about his future .

We can definitely wait on a better coach not yet concerned with feathering his retirement nest ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Citypark
Ripple

SMALL TIME written all over this coach. He will not excite anybody. I believe the American Conference will be out of his reach. This kind of hire will continue to keep me watching the games on the tube. Typical Tulane😂!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This belongs in The Search thread so we don't end up with a million threads.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ATLWave
Trickle

puffy
Surge

Huh
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We need to consolidate at least two, possibly three threads about this hire.

Ron Hunter will be able to recruit to the same standards as any coach in D1. We have jock friendly majors, and no longer have academic restrictions that we had for decades. As winwave points out regularly, people need to move on from that misconception. CJ recruited football players that weren't interested in going to class. That's something we hope Hunter avoids, and it's a lot easier to do so when you're only building a 12 or 13 man roster, as opposed to an 85 player roster. I just hope he hires an assistant with local ties.

Am I blown away by this hire? No. But I'm happy that we made a change, and am willing to give Hunter a season or two to see if he can build momentum from a program that is literally in shambles right now. If nothing else, it will be fun to have a guy with passion on the sidelines, rather than a guy that's wondering whether or not a timeout might be in order.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think we can close the Men's basketball coaching search, since the search is over.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

Houston drummed us 85 - 50 @ Fogelman

Houston drummed Hunter 84 - 55 on a neutral court .

It would appear Hunter has not recruited up to what it is going to take to be respectable in the AAC , let alone dominant .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:44 pm Houston drummed us 85 - 50 @ Fogelman

Houston drummed Hunter 84 - 55 on a neutral court .

It would appear Hunter has not recruited up to what it is going to take to be respectable in the AAC , let alone dominant .
Another brilliant post!

You have no clue.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

To nawlinspete: Of course Houston “drummed” Georgia State. Do you really think that a Sunbelt team could compete with a top tier AAC team that is usually on one of the ESPN channels and has the beautifully renovated Fertitta Center to play in? No coach at Georgia State would stand a chance against this Houston team. It is a miracle what Coach Hunter has achieved at Georgia State with multiple NCAA bids. Bring Coach Hunter to Tulane and if he recruits well and closer to AAC levels we will likely have a winner. Almost no coach can recruit at AAC levels when they play in the one NCAA bid and no television exposure Sunbelt. High level basketball players do not want to play in that conference.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I despise this Bullsh*t TV personality Bomani Jones who is really laying it on Tulane in a bunch of tweets and essentially saying Ron Hunter will get a nice raise before ruining his career here.
greenie78
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:26 pm

I despise this Bullsh*t TV personality Bomani Jones who is really laying it on Tulane in a bunch of tweets and essentially saying Ron Hunter will get a nice raise before ruining his career here.
Yeah it’s a stupid comment. Tulane is a better job because it’s in a much better confenrence with the ability to recruit better players.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:26 pm

F Bomani Jones. He's a Steven A Smith wannabe, and I think SAS is a douche.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Dave, I know we don't agree on everything, but I definitely agree with you 1000% on that. Both of them are useless as far as legitimate sports reporters.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
ATLWave
Trickle

Coach Hunter will be successful at Tulane, y'all just need to get behind him and show him some support. He took a team that went 12-19 before he got to GSU and went 22-11 in his first year. He went to the NCAAs 3 years out of 5, and was a great recruiter at what is a VERY hard place to recruit to. He was a fan favorite, has a great personality, and he is great with the media. In terms of Xs and Os, his matchup zone defense is very effective, but is broken down every now and then by teams that get abnormally hot from the 3 point line. His offense is not as strong, but he utilizes the stronger players(Daniels) very well. Daniels should flourish under Hunter. Hunter is very energetic and loves to get after it, exact opposite attitude of Dunleavy. Hunter is a winner folks. Was up on UGA this year for most of the game by 30 points, won by 25. Think the Wave can do that to LSU? Maybe.
dpm wave
Swell

I see that gbg has a new account, ATL.
dpm wave
Swell

http://twitter.com/MrMattCraig/status/1 ... 2791145474
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I don’t know anything about Ron Hunter, but I know enough about Dunleavy. The change gives us hope for the future—just don’t sign Hunter to a six year deal.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave QB
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:58 am Good coach, but a better fit for a lot of other places other than Tulane. I just don’t think he will be able to recruit the same kids to Tulane that he did to Ga State. I can’t believe for one minute that any recruit to Ga St thinks about Tulane academics as a plus. They will be scared away from it. And if he can’t get and keep those kids in school it will be a massive fail. Think CJ.
Unfortunately, the job will only appeal to very young up and comers or older guys needing to set themselves up financially for life. I think Hunter is attainable just Like Fritz was attainable. Regardless of the difficulty of the job, he needs the level of pay of an AAC coach to be comfortable as he approaches retirement. His recruiting will remind us of CJ. Let’s hope his coaching is closer to Fritz.
My hope is that he not get discouraged in the difficulty of recruiting and winning at Tulane and settle into an early retired on the job mentality like we saw in Toledo. Unfortunately, my prediction is just that, which is why I would have preferred a motivated up and comer.
CJ and Hunter aren't on the same level. CJ was an experiment. Hunter has proven to win on the collegiate level, and has been in the trenches. I don't feel that this is a big time hire, but I do believe that this is a good hire. Hunter is the best hire around here in basketball in a while. I support this hire.