Ron Hunter new Tulane basketball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 am It doesn't take long listening to Coach Hunter to realize that he is odd. He comes to a program that had zero conference wins and talks about getting into the tournament next year. I like enthusiastic; worry about delusional. He doesn't even have a team yet and his first practice is in six months. It was also weird that he started grinding an ax with Houston because of some things they said/did during his Georgia St game against them. Is he here to try and settle old scores? Perhaps his persona is rubbing players the wrong way or giving them doubts. These players thought they would be playing for Dunleavy and this guy is "very" different to listen to.

No doubt, the guy has been a winner and I hope it happens here; I am just a bit more tempered about this hire than most. At a minimum, we should get some good quotes for the next couple of years.
Willie came in with the same level of confidence. (It was more of a quiet confidence of course). He got knocked down a level quickly and so will hunter . How will he get back up is the question.

galvezwave
Swell

Look at these rabid dogs play. We have a loooong way to go
WavyHoops
High Tide

Hunter isn't a mystery to me at all. He reminds me of Bellicheck, John Cheney, Jim Valvano, Diego Simeone, Herb Brooks, Pete Carril and every other coach whose mantra is "us against them "and "nobody likes us" and "they don't think we can do it" and whose team totally buys in to the attitude and the very specific system he plays..

That said, if the players don't buy in it can go south quickly, so if players don't want to eat what he's cooking, better they're gone sooner than later and make room for those that will.

The great irony is that Caleb Daniels summed it all up very adroitly when he said "One thing that stood out to me is you have to be a dog to play for him, and I feel as if we all have dogs on the team and that's what we've been waiting for."
RobertM320
Green Wave

WavyHoops wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:31 am The great irony is that Caleb Daniels summed it all up very adroitly when he said "One thing that stood out to me is you have to be a dog to play for him, and I feel as if we all have dogs on the team and that's what we've been waiting for."
Yep. He sure didn't take any chances of someone beating him to the transfer portal.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
WavyHoops
High Tide

Hopefully some staff announcements will be forthcoming:

Sunamiwave
High Tide

As everyone already knows Ray McCallum is Hunter’s top assistant coach. However, I am very impressed by all the love and appreciation that Georgia State players and fans are showing to Claude Pardue. Pardue seems like the type of guy that besides being an excellent coach is a really good person.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Interestingly Claude’s first job was under Tim Floyd at UTEP. . . We can use all the New Orleans connections we can get !

I am eagerly awaiting the new coaches announcement. I think Ray McCallum by himself would probably have made a better head coach than several others we have had recently at Tulane.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Whomever is on staff needs to recruit, and bring recruits with him. We're going to be VERY thin and need a solid recruiting class, which is asking a lot in a very short period of time. I don't care about the coaches names or where they're from, I just care about how they can fill out the roster, and coach them up enough to make a run at .500 in conference in '19-'20.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I woukd love to see Fogelman /Devlin rock once more...ya can que some Stevie Ray over the sound system..."If the House is a rockin'...don't bother knockin'..." one of my favorite's to play when I have the top down....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !