Ron Hunter new Tulane basketball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:17 pm I doubt Sampson will go to Arkansas. Why leave a great city like Houston to live in miserable Arkansas? Tillman Fertitta can match in salary for Houston whatever Arkansas is offering him. Plus Sampson has such a good thing going at Houston that I would be very surprised if he wanted to start all over again at Arkansas.
The current AD at Arkansas hired him at Houston

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:42 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:17 pm I doubt Sampson will go to Arkansas. Why leave a great city like Houston to live in miserable Arkansas? Tillman Fertitta can match in salary for Houston whatever Arkansas is offering him. Plus Sampson has such a good thing going at Houston that I would be very surprised if he wanted to start all over again at Arkansas.
Not really . The moneybags booster hired him .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:46 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:42 pm
Not really . The moneybags booster hired him .
Sampson does not even have to recruit more that a 40 mile radius of campus...just like Guy Lewis did....with all of the upgrades that UH has put in place for basketball, I think Sampson would have to think long and hard about going to fayettville....don't get me wrong fayetville is very pretty in the mountains, but getting players to go there has had it's issues in the last 15 years
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:34 pm
Sampson does not even have to recruit more that a 40 mile radius of campus...just like Guy Lewis did....with all of the upgrades that UH has put in place for basketball, I think Sampson would have to think long and hard about going to fayettville....don't get me wrong fayetville is very pretty in the mountains, but getting players to go there has had it's issues in the last 15 years
He’s bounced around a lot.
Washington State, Oklahoma, Indiana and the University of Houston. He’ll move into the SEC next. He has UH in the Sweet 16. They beat UK then 8. His value will be at its peak. I can’t see him not taking it. He’s making $1.5 million at UH Arkansas will pay $3 million. He’s going to leave.
if UH doesn’t match the $3 million.

UH could promote his son Kellen Sampson to Head Coach.
So he could make his son a millionaire by going to Arkansas. If UH goes in a different direction (Billy Kennedy) then Sampson will bring his son along to Arkansas and double his current salary.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

UH will pay $3m, UH has been trying to make statements about their status and they have the donor(s). Marshall at Wichita State makes more anyway, $3m isn’t some insane number. Honestly it’s a good move because after stealing WVU’s coach and thwarting Arkansas (if that happens) it’s hard not to say they arent a force. UCF & Houston would be in prime position IF expansion ever happens. Now we are talking about a great deal of hypoteticals, and fans have very short memories (UCF in particular), conferences are less foolish.

If Sampson leaves, that Ron hunter challenge start looking a little better.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes and Marshall made 7 consecutive NCAA tournaments. He also took his team to the Final Four, upsetting both the No. 1 seed (Gonzaga) and No. 2 seed (Ohio State) in the Western Regional conference before falling to eventual champion Louisville prior to joining the AAC.
He’s also the 13th highest paid coach in the country.
https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/spo ... s-14774331
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Correct from a basketball only school. They made a wise investment. Imagine a semi wise investment from a wealthy school ( based on donors). I think they would match $3m ( which is still less then Marshall).

Houston ( wisely for their goals) is hell bent on proving they are a destination. I could be wrong ( this is an online message board) but that is my relatively education assumption.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 388e7.html

Don’t think this was posted. Good article about what he’s working on. Trying to convince sehic to stay and to bring 2-3 new players in for next year. No more man to man, pressure zone only and recruiting NOLA hard. Any thoughts on who he should hire as a local recruiting guy ?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:34 am https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 388e7.html

Don’t think this was posted. Good article about what he’s working on. Trying to convince sehic to stay and to bring 2-3 new players in for next year. No more man to man, pressure zone only and recruiting NOLA hard. Any thoughts on who he should hire as a local recruiting guy ?
I posted that article yesterday at 5:54 PM.

I'm a bit miffed by the "after the Final Four" aspect of his start to local recruiting. He only has a few weeks until the spring signing period, time is of the essence.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:18 pm
McCullum is a great holdover from Hunter's staff for us here. Has had a winning record overall as a Head and a long career at Ball State, Detroit and was HC at Houston 2001-2004.

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewA ... EASON=2018
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
WavyHoops
High Tide

Surprised nobody’s mentioned this article.

https://expo.nola.com/sports/g66l-2019/ ... round.html

Maybe all this optimism is disconcerting.
Show Me
Tsunami

WavyHoops wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:27 pm Surprised nobody’s mentioned this article.

https://expo.nola.com/sports/g66l-2019/ ... round.html

Maybe all this optimism is disconcerting.
Good article. Even Dick Longo in his 80’s would have won more games than Dunleavy. Hunter will easily win 15 games next year. I’d be surprised if he won 20 however this isn’t the Sunbelt league and he’ll find that out fast.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:19 pm Yes and Marshall made 7 consecutive NCAA tournaments. He also took his team to the Final Four, upsetting both the No. 1 seed (Gonzaga) and No. 2 seed (Ohio State) in the Western Regional conference before falling to eventual champion Louisville prior to joining the AAC.
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/201 ... ay-put--1/

Apparently Houston has offered Sampson an extension that pays him $3m annually. I hope he stays in the AAC, and we keep elevating the league. I'd love to see us getting more teams into the tourney then the Big East consistently. Next year we could have 5- Houston and Cinci will be still good and Memphis, Temple, Wichita State & Uconn will be MUCH better.
Jaxwave
Swell

Not real good news in an AJC article today. GPA o Ga St basketball team declined all four years under Hunter to 2.16 this season. And that’s at a smallish state school.That is my concern. He’ll never get or keep those kind of student/athletes eligible at Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:20 am Not real good news in an AJC article today. GPA o Ga St basketball team declined all four years under Hunter to 2.16 this season. And that’s at a smallish state school.That is my concern. He’ll never get or keep those kind of student/athletes eligible at Tulane.
A Final Four is in our future !!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:20 am Not real good news in an AJC article today. GPA o Ga St basketball team declined all four years under Hunter to 2.16 this season. And that’s at a smallish state school.That is my concern. He’ll never get or keep those kind of student/athletes eligible at Tulane.
Wow. Open records request in the article gets exact facts on salary and grades. He wanted CUSA money and no GPA tie-in to his bonus and contract extension at GSU. His biggest challenge like every other past and present Tulane coach will be the academic hurdle.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/what ... bh9QdYNlL/
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:01 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:19 pm Yes and Marshall made 7 consecutive NCAA tournaments. He also took his team to the Final Four, upsetting both the No. 1 seed (Gonzaga) and No. 2 seed (Ohio State) in the Western Regional conference before falling to eventual champion Louisville prior to joining the AAC.
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/201 ... ay-put--1/

Apparently Houston has offered Sampson an extension that pays him $3m annually. I hope he stays in the AAC, and we keep elevating the league. I'd love to see us getting more teams into the tourney then the Big East consistently. Next year we could have 5- Houston and Cinci will be still good and Memphis, Temple, Wichita State & Uconn will be MUCH better.
Arkansas going to pay him equal to it’s FB coach higher than $3 million.
https://amppob.com/sampson-to-arkansas/
Arkansas Athletic Director Hunter Yurachek worked with Sampson during his time as AD at Houston. Houston reportedly offered Sampson a multi-year extension worth $3 million a year earlier this week. Any offer from the University of Arkansas is expected to exceed that, which would put it close to the annual salary of UA head football coach Chad Morris.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

Were you aware of Coach Hunter's abysmal GPA results at Georgia State Mr Dannen ?

Were you also aware of Mr Hunter's opposition to his contract earnings being tied to GPA RESULTS at Georgia State ?

How will Coach Hunter and the three associates he is bringing with him from Georgia State maintain satisfactory GPA RESULTS here in light of their opposition to results driven compensation at Georgia State ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
WavyHoops
High Tide

It's a fair concern but I also think it's fair to keep in mind the student-athletes who might have wanted to go to Georgia State may be different than the kids who may want to go to Tulane. Coach Hunter seems like a smart guy who will know the difference. I'm also willing to bet that the support resources at a place like Tulane are far greater. I care a lot about academics but I’m going to wait and see how things play out before getting all hot and bothered on this issue.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

all this GPA bs.....we all know Hunter will only sign the "one n done" and onto the NBA types.....
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Georgia state also doesn’t have the tutors and support system we do. Nor did they have focus on academics. Do I think it will be a new challenge for him ? Yes. Do I think he can succeed ? Yes. We have a long chain about transfers and Academic qualifiers and how outside of juco transfers we are in a good position to take athletes to help us win.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

In regards to houston and Sampson I was giving myself a little pat on the back as I had predicted the $3m number that houston would offer. In the article I linked it has another quote in regards to money:

“Fertitta indicated Houston is ready to match whatever financial offer Arkansas makes to Sampson.
"We're sure not going to let him leave because of money," Fertitta told the Houston Chronicle last week.”

Hopefully once we make a couple ncaa tourneys and make a NYC six bowl some of our alums will be emboldened to have similar mindsets and commitments.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:52 am In regards to houston and Sampson I was giving myself a little pat on the back as I had predicted the $3m number that houston would offer. In the article I linked it has another quote in regards to money:

“Fertitta indicated Houston is ready to match whatever financial offer Arkansas makes to Sampson.
"We're sure not going to let him leave because of money," Fertitta told the Houston Chronicle last week.”

Hopefully once we make a couple ncaa tourneys and make a NYC six bowl some of our alums will be emboldened to have similar mindsets and commitments.
Yes. I think he still ends up at Arkansas and his son gets elevated at UH.
And I’m not surprised at the Landry’s Restaurant guy’s offer. Houston Athletics is the toy he wants to play with that he can’t own.
If I had the means I’d probably do the same with Tulane Athletics.
Tulane Class of 1981
WavyHoops
High Tide

Buckle up. It’s gonna be a hell of a ride.