Ron Hunter new Tulane basketball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
WaveintheATL
Trickle

Glad to be on the Board. I will definitely continue to read and post. Thanks for the welcome.

greenie78
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 pm Not a Coach that will keep current players from leaving, small time with lower academic type athletes, only time will tell if he can motivate the very good student athletes Tulane demands. Not sure if will keep current recruits Dunleavy was recruiting. I might be a minority but wish we could have gotten Tim Floyd out of retirement.
Those guys were 4-27. Boo hoo hoo.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:35 pm direct from Atlanta
https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradley/r ... WNcoZQ39H/
I'd have to say this is a done deal!

Welcome, Coach Hunter.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
AugWave
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 pm Not a Coach that will keep current players from leaving, small time with lower academic type athletes, only time will tell if he can motivate the very good student athletes Tulane demands. Not sure if will keep current recruits Dunleavy was recruiting. I might be a minority but wish we could have gotten Tim Floyd out of retirement.
Jesus Christ.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

AugWave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:46 pm
Jesus Christ.
And to think some thought we should apologize to this guy?

He'd probably rather have MD than Ron Hunter.

He and n'awlinspete should meet at Cowen Circle Jerk. They're both clueless!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
AugWave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:55 pm
Jesus Christ.

:lol: .... Circle jerk...
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Ruski
Swell

Hunter is the hype man that Tulane basketball needs. We have a great conference, great facilities, and a campus/city that sells itself. Now we finally have the hype man to bring confidence to recruits/fans that this is a place for ballers. I'm excited for the future!
ATLWave
Trickle

WaveintheATL wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:35 pm Glad to be on the Board. I will definitely continue to read and post. Thanks for the welcome.
Are you my twin?? Lol! I'm a GSU fan too.
WaveintheATL
Trickle

ATLWave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:38 pm
WaveintheATL wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:35 pm Glad to be on the Board. I will definitely continue to read and post. Thanks for the welcome.
Are you my twin?? Lol! I'm a GSU fan too.
Have a son who went to law school there. Casually follow their sports teams. More of a GT fan however.
Wavetime
Swell

Welcome Coach Hunter!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:55 pm
Jesus Christ.

Hey,hey,hey. You know I have the copyright on the Cowen Circle Jerk! :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Welcome aboard Coach Hunter. We so needed a change. Looking forward to basketball now rather than canceling my long time season tickets. He'll have a chance to bring in some players this year. Could speed the process up. At his age and the time it will likely take to build the program if he's successful he likely stays. Plus in basketball we are a major conference.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The only joke bigger than Dunleavy’s coaching are your posts, gbg. Keep in mind, all Hunter has to do to is win 5 games, in order to show you as the fool you are.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to Ron and good luck. Hoping he can right the ship. No reason we can’t get back to the NCAA’s with good coaching and better recruiting.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 pm
greenie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:45 am
wavedomer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:38 am This is an incredibly good hire. The only people complaining about this hire are Tulane people. Anyone else is either praising it or wondering why Hunter would even come to Tulane. The guy has done amazing things with limited programs. We are basically non existent as a program. Hunter is perfect: high energy, post season experience, x’s and o’s. My only hope is that when he resurrects Tulane, he sticks around.
If he’s successful, he will get an opportunity at a power conference school which is understandable. The AAC is clearly the next best thing to a power conference in football and basketball.
After 13 years as HC at IUPUI and eight years at Georgia State it is reasonable that if he wins here. and if his family enjoys living here , that he will want to coach here through retirement .

NB: 8:38AM
Last edited by nawlinspete on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:40 pm Welcome aboard Coach Hunter. We so needed a change. Looking forward to basketball now rather than canceling my long time season tickets. He'll have a chance to bring in some players this year. Could speed the process up. At his age and the time it will likely take to build the program if he's successful he likely stays. Plus in basketball we are a major conference.
NB 4:40 PM
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TD tweets
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

Not excited yet. Needs to Show Me he can win at Tulane where our last 4 basketball coaches have failed miserably and been fired. I would have preferred a higher profile name but we got Hunter cheap. Dunleavy making more money sitting home on his couch than Hunter will be making coaching. The disaster Dunleavy created will need at least 2 more years to correct. I expect we’ll win 10 games next year and maybe 15 the following year. I’m interested in seeing what assistant coaches are willing to come here and risk their careers. Will be interesting to see how many does Hunter bring from his current staff. Anyway I’m sure he’s a better coach than what we had in Dunleavy.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Just watched an interview with Coach Hunter talking to an Atlanta station about leaving Georgia State. The guy was all class saying nice things about Atlanta and Georgia State.. He is a very charismatic person who can actually coach college basketball unlike Mike Dunleavy. I am getting super excited about Tulane basketball. I don’t think I’ve been this excited since we hired Perry Clark. Yes I know it will take a few years since Dunleavy left the program in shambles. Hopefully Devlin Fieldhouse will be rocking in the near future like the Perry Clark years and we move several of our top games to the Smoothie King Center. Coach Hunter is going to be a huge success at Tulane.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
msdos
Swell

I think this could be the guy. I’m optimistic, time will tell.
Let’s not compare him to Willie though. Ole Will barely got us into a shit tier bowl in year 3 and will go 4-8 this year. I wish nothing of the sort on Hunter
JerseyWave
Riptide

I like this hire a lot. I will be cautiously optimistic. For Ron Hunter to succeed at Tulane he is going to have recruit his ass off. That is why the four previous Tulane coaches failed.........basketball recruiting has been terrible at Tulane the last 20 years. Dannen acknowledged this last week at his press conference. We haven’t had the athletes to compete in this conference. No more projects, enough with the international players, go get guys who are ready to play major college basketball when they step on campus.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ron promises he’ll have Tulane in the NCAA tournament
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Welcome:

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2019/3 ... coach.aspx

As noted above we'll know were successful when we start scheduling name OOC opponents and play them in the SKC in front of 10-12,000 and doing the same with the teams in the AAC who are having a big year.

More immediately I would point out that I think we had all been working under the impression that the conference didn't allow teams to play in the pay to play tourney's. However USF is in one this season. Early goal to shoot for. also I'd like to see us start playing UNO home and home again. That beats the hell out of a lot of the crap games we get then. UNO has rebuilt their program and it would raw good crowds to both places.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:45 pm Ron promises he’ll have Tulane in the NCAA tournament
Like it.