Ron Hunter new Tulane basketball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

This hire is a single , not a home run , trying for second base . Will he be thrown out or slide under the tag ?

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
wavedomer
Trickle

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:16 pm This hire is a single , not a home run , trying for second base . Will he be thrown out or slide under the tag ?
Thanks for weighing in.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ATLWave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:17 pm Coach Hunter will be successful at Tulane, y'all just need to get behind him and show him some support. He took a team that went 12-19 before he got to GSU and went 22-11 in his first year. He went to the NCAAs 3 years out of 5, and was a great recruiter at what is a VERY hard place to recruit to. He was a fan favorite, has a great personality, and he is great with the media. In terms of Xs and Os, his matchup zone defense is very effective, but is broken down every now and then by teams that get abnormally hot from the 3 point line. His offense is not as strong, but he utilizes the stronger players(Daniels) very well. Daniels should flourish under Hunter. Hunter is very energetic and loves to get after it, exact opposite attitude of Dunleavy. Hunter is a winner folks. Was up on UGA this year for most of the game by 30 points, won by 25. Think the Wave can do that to LSU? Maybe.
Thanks for this post. He's got my support.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

I’m waiting for something more concrete on an official announcement in case he gets cold feet before commenting on Hunter.
Eaglewave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:16 pm This hire is a single , not a home run , trying for second base . Will he be thrown out or slide under the tag ?

This guy has been to the big dance 3 times and post season tournaments 6 times in 8 years at Georgia State. All 6 of those season were 20+ win seasons, and 4 of those season were regular season, conference tournament or both championships. With the Panthers, his worst season was a second year 15-16, (10-8 conference) finish.

I am confident that Hunter will have a few winning seasons here because that something that he is known for doing. I am also confident that he will get us a few CBI and CIT wins during his run here. I just want to know if he can take us to the NIT and NCAA Tournament.

This hire is a good hit, so it's definitely a double. Can he round 3rd base is another question. I sure hope he can. Good luck to him.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If Hunter is hired, I wish him and the Staff all the best... TD this better work or your azz, along with Hunter's, will be gone..... I will be in the minority, this hire is a "swinging bunt"....TPS, knows what I am talkin' about... for TD's sake, and the sake of the mansions in ole metry, I hope I am proven incorrect
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenie78
Riptide

Yet everyone here thought Mike Dumbass was a home run hire 🙄
wavedomer
Trickle

This is an incredibly good hire. The only people complaining about this hire are Tulane people. Anyone else is either praising it or wondering why Hunter would even come to Tulane. The guy has done amazing things with limited programs. We are basically non existent as a program. Hunter is perfect: high energy, post season experience, x’s and o’s. My only hope is that when he resurrects Tulane, he sticks around.
ATLWave
Trickle

dpm wave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:42 pm I see that gbg has a new account, ATL.
Lol I am not gbg. Just a guy that has a lot of knowledge of Coach Hunter. He will absolutely resurrect the program, no doubt in my mind. I have questions on if he will stay afterwards, but he will do a really good job on Freret.
greenie78
Riptide

wavedomer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:38 am This is an incredibly good hire. The only people complaining about this hire are Tulane people. Anyone else is either praising it or wondering why Hunter would even come to Tulane. The guy has done amazing things with limited programs. We are basically non existent as a program. Hunter is perfect: high energy, post season experience, x’s and o’s. My only hope is that when he resurrects Tulane, he sticks around.
If he’s successful, he will get an opportunity at a power conference school which is understandable. The AAC is clearly the next best thing to a power conference in football and basketball.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

After reading everything about Ron Hunter, I am optimistic about the hire.

In 25 years of coaching, he has had 5 losing season. If he can have a .500 year in 2019-20 afther this season's national embarassment and after suffering the inevitable roster transfers, dropouts, and decommitments it will be one of the greatest turnarounds in Tulane history. I'm afraid that's an unrealistic expectation. Hope I'm wrong.
WavyHoops
High Tide

To say that this isn’t a solid move is to suggest that there is a long line of proven D1 winners eager to take the Tulane job and compete in the AAC. I know of at least one coach who folks here have mentioned who told friends of mine he wouldn’t go to Tulane because he didn’t think he could win.

I’m excited about the new coach and I hope Daniels, Walker, Crabtree and Wood are as well.
greenie78
Riptide

I'm not expecting .500 right away. I'm thinking 10-12 wins in year one, then hoping for 15-17 in year 2 and then 20 wins in year 3.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think this counts as confirmation-

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradley/r ... WNcoZQ39H/
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I’m really excited about this hire. Coach Hunter seems like a really charismatic guy who will fit in well at Tulane and in the New Orleans community. This is a Willie Fritz type hire in that Coach Hunter’s Georgia State team won a lot of games and went to the NCAA tournament several times with limited financial resources in the Sun Belt conference. The more I learn about Coach Hunter the more excited I get about him coming to Tulane. I’m probably going to buy season tickets next year for the first time since the Perry Clark era as I am genuinely excited and want to show my support for Coach Hunter even though it will likely take him a couple of years to build a quality team since Mike Dunleavy left the basketball program in shambles.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nawlinspete
Riptide

greenie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:45 am
wavedomer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:38 am This is an incredibly good hire. The only people complaining about this hire are Tulane people. Anyone else is either praising it or wondering why Hunter would even come to Tulane. The guy has done amazing things with limited programs. We are basically non existent as a program. Hunter is perfect: high energy, post season experience, x’s and o’s. My only hope is that when he resurrects Tulane, he sticks around.
If he’s successful, he will get an opportunity at a power conference school which is understandable. The AAC is clearly the next best thing to a power conference in football and basketball.

After 13 years as HC at IUPUI and eight years at Georgia State it is reasonable that if he wins here. and if his family enjoys living here , that he will want to coach here through retirement .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
galvezwave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 pm
greenie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:45 am

After 13 years as HC at IUPUI and eight years at Georgia State it is reasonable that if he wins here. and if his family enjoys living here , that he will want to coach here through retirement .
The perpetual “potential “ of Tulane hoops. If Samson sticks around and UConn can find their way back, Tulane is a place where a good coach should make it a good job in a good conference where any goal should not be out of reach. . With the use of smoothie King thrown in if needed and some help from Gibson . We’ve just done a deplorable job of hiring basketball coaches. I hope this is the one but who knows .
AugWave
Swell

Good hire. I know someone that's a Georgia State grad and she's pissed he's leaving. Said he just has it figured out and the players LOVE playing for him. And they play hard for him. Not many players play all out for their coach all the time.

Not going to comment on some of the usual suspect's opinions.

Roll Wave.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Ron Hunter about the Tulane job wrote:The expectations are kind of mid-level, and you try to exceed those expectations. Mark my words, I’ll get it done.
I like those words. Words give me hope. Then again I remember something Mike Dunleavy said immediately after being hired at Tulane: "We will lose some of our games, but it will not be because we were outcoached." That made me feel pretty good too.

I'm a big fan, Ron Hunter. Here's your chance to become a New Orleans legend. We've had so little for so long that all you have to do is give us anything to be proud of and you will secure your legacy here.
WaveintheATL
Trickle

First time poster here. Tulane Alum and ATl resident. I have watched Hunter at GSU and believe this is the best coach Tulane has had in my lifetime, including Perry Clark. GSU was a basketball grave yard except for a couple of years with Lefty Dreisel. He took them to one NCCAT. Hunter has taken them to 3 in 5 years. He is a great recruiter and more importantly a great person. His son, R..J. played for him and was drafted by the Celtics. He has a junior guard on this team that will probably declare for the NCAA draft. Tulane academics is not a hurdle for him. He will sell Tulane, NOLA and the AAC to recruits. GSU has no real campus life and is more a commuter school. At Tulane he has so much more to sell and he will sell it. The players will love him and so will the fans and media. He had a better program at GSU than ACC Georgia Tech and SEC Georgia. I have never even read this board before but had to come on her to give my feelings about the new coach. Replying to one poster on this Board, there is nothing SMALL TIME about Ron Hunter.
GreenLantern
Riptide

WaveintheATL wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:02 pm First time poster here. Tulane Alum and ATl resident. I have watched Hunter at GSU and believe this is the best coach Tulane has had in my lifetime, including Perry Clark. GSU was a basketball grave yard except for a couple of years with Lefty Dreisel. He took them to one NCCAT. Hunter has taken them to 3 in 5 years. He is a great recruiter and more importantly a great person. His son, R..J. played for him and was drafted by the Celtics. He has a junior guard on this team that will probably declare for the NCAA draft. Tulane academics is not a hurdle for him. He will sell Tulane, NOLA and the AAC to recruits. GSU has no real campus life and is more a commuter school. At Tulane he has so much more to sell and he will sell it. The players will love him and so will the fans and media. He had a better program at GSU than ACC Georgia Tech and SEC Georgia. I have never even read this board before but had to come on her to give my feelings about the new coach. Replying to one poster on this Board, there is nothing SMALL TIME about Ron Hunter.
Welcome to the board. Hope you become a regular.
gbgreenie
Surge

Not a Coach that will keep current players from leaving, small time with lower academic type athletes, only time will tell if he can motivate the very good student athletes Tulane demands. Not sure if will keep current recruits Dunleavy was recruiting. I might be a minority but wish we could have gotten Tim Floyd out of retirement.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Welcome ! Thanks for posting and I hope you stick around. Your opinion is appreciated and a breath of fresh air. Don’t let a few eccentric posters scare you off.

There really is no reason a coach can’t win at Tulane -now that there’s a commitment from the (now competent) administration and the AAC tv deal that gives us the resources. A competent coach has been the only thing missing.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 pm Not a Coach that will keep current players from leaving, small time with lower academic type athletes, only time will tell if he can motivate the very good student athletes Tulane demands. Not sure if will keep current recruits Dunleavy was recruiting. I might be a minority but wish we could have gotten Tim Floyd out of retirement.
Yes you are in the minority with those opinions.