Tulane Whips ULL 7-3

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:49 pm
Pepper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 pm So when the 1st ranking comes out, is there really enough formula to determine how good a team is? No, it's why the SEC has all 14 teams stacked at the top. It is based on reputation (last year's record, players coming back, etc). Point I was trying to make is I believe we should be higher ranked than what the rpi says. Agree to disagree.
Nope, last year’s record isn’t a part of the formula. Returning players also not taken into account.
It’s true that there’s not enough information for the RPI to have any value after 1 game but that’s just like anything else, there’s just not enough information.
Tulane’s RPI isn’t good because we have played too many really bad teams and lost 5/6 against the really good teams. Pretty simple.
Beating George Washington, Texas Southern, Lamar, Dartmouth, St Joes etc. does not benefit you because they’re so bad. There’s no reason to schedule teams that bad. Houston Baptist is another team that can only hurt our RPI
I think the HBU series was more a question of who's available.Since most conferences have started conf play by now, you end up matched up with either an independent, or someone that has their conf bye week the same as yours. It limits your options.

I did a quick look. A few Big Ten teams didn't play conf this week, Some Big West, and Missouri Valley teams. Dallas Baptist Univ traveled to Air Force. We could have played them. Not so sure we need another home weekend series loss on our record at this point, either.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson